Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cunndies

"Grip" shafts?

Okay, can anybody help me with this?

I heard a while back about some kind of spray-on substance that can make a regular composite shaft "tackier", similar to the Grip coating on various one pieces.

Anybody remember what it's called, or where I can get it? I've searched, but didn't come up with anything...

Cheers guys.

I've found that the Pow'r Tac doesn't make it really tackier, but more of a grip in a pine tar way. Doesn't feel like pine tar though. Just more of a sticky grip rather than tacky. Hard to explain.

It's made for baseball so it's supposed to be like pine tar without the mess. I'd love to know what the difference is between sticky and tacky

I know it's made for baseball. I picked it up in the baseball section at Dick's. I think of sticky more like how this feels or pine tar. Tacky is more like what the sticks manufactured with grip are like, such as 1100 soft grip or Easton's grip.

Once the Pow'r Tac dries there's very little difference. When it's wet, it is very sticky and comes right off the shaft.

I've found that it feels similar with gloves on, but bare hands it feels still more sticky than tacky.

Did I say I'd ever use it with bare hands? I just said it feels very different with bare hands.

I've used Pow'r tac, they have their own website.

what color is this stuff? i just blacked out my quest 3 shaft and i would like to keep it blacked out.

Isn't there some stuff called plasti-dip. It comes in a spray bottle and i heard its pretty good. They have there own web site though.

I found myself some clear plasti-dip (sadly only in the can, not the spray), and started playing with it. My first attempt was applied with the plati-dip right out of the can. It felt great (I put three coats on)...very much like a grip stick in the store. It didn't seem to adhere that well. So I peeled it off (surprisingly easy), and reapplied, diluted about 20% and applied 5 thin coats, one every 20-30 minutes. It was a labour of love, that's for sure, but I wasn't doing much that day anyways. It's now survived 2 weeks without a problem, it hasn't started peeling or lifting at all, and I'm really liking it.

You can use the site to find your area's rep, and ask them where to get it. In Canada, I got mine at Home Hardware. They had to order the clear dip from their warehouse, but it was well worth the three day wait.

Isn't there some stuff called plasti-dip.  It comes in a spray bottle and i heard its pretty good. They have there own web site though.

I found myself some clear plasti-dip (sadly only in the can, not the spray), and started playing with it. My first attempt was applied with the plati-dip right out of the can. It felt great (I put three coats on)...very much like a grip stick in the store. It didn't seem to adhere that well. So I peeled it off (surprisingly easy), and reapplied, diluted about 20% and applied 5 thin coats, one every 20-30 minutes. It was a labour of love, that's for sure, but I wasn't doing much that day anyways. It's now survived 2 weeks without a problem, it hasn't started peeling or lifting at all, and I'm really liking it.

You can use the site to find your area's rep, and ask them where to get it. In Canada, I got mine at Home Hardware. They had to order the clear dip from their warehouse, but it was well worth the three day wait.

Did you use the clear kind? And what shaft did you put it on?

They recommend you dilute it with a varnish maker's and painter's naphtha...which is a solvent. I believe technically Plasti-Dip is rubber suspended in acetone, so when the acetone evaporates, you are left with just rubber. Water wouldn't do the trick and would probably be bad.

I put it on my tapered Novius...that sucker was way too slick before...it's just right now. And if you don't like it, it comes off in nice rubbery strips, or you just use some more solvent to soften it up.

The key to success here is to use several thin coats applied as the previous coat is tacky to the touch (not completely dry...they recommend 4 hrs per coat but overnight is preferable). Keep your brush in solvent between applications (and use a paintbrush with hair bristles as opposed to nylon!) to avoid drying clumps of Plasti-Dip getting in the way of a perfect application.

I've used Pow'r tac, they have their own website.

what color is this stuff? i just blacked out my quest 3 shaft and i would like to keep it blacked out.

Clear, but if your stick is shiny, it'll make the finish look dull.