Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJDhcky9

skating in the off season

how many nights a week should you skate during the summer. ive heard that skating to much can lead to "burning out" during the winter season if you skate 5-6 nights a week during summer.

If your getting the right nutrition and sleep, i guess 5 times a week would be ok (someone correct me if im wrong), with a week or twos rest before you start preseason (by rest i mean no exercise, let the body recover). and a week of very light excercise just before the preseason so your not going in tired.

I know exactly what burnout is like, i was training 3 times a week and played 40 games collectively this season (at various levels).

The fact was i didnt get enough sleep, and probably didnt do enough cardio out of hockey, which in the end left me to play very well for the first half of the season, but towards the end, the legs just werent there anymore.

Keep that in mind if you plan to have a good season next year. Let the body recover, do a good hard summer with breaks every few weeks. But keep up the excercise during the season, otherwise the fitness will drop and you wont be going out with a bang at the end of the season.

Off season is a great time to work out and work on things like edge work and balance. Skating once or twice a week on edge drills is plenty.

in the show, they go once a week if that, but closer to training camps they go hard

Unless your name is Tkachuk. Then you just keep doing the ribs curl.

in the show, they go once a week if that, but closer to training camps they go hard

Tkachuk sitll had like a point a game this year on what was arguably the worst team in the league.

Tkachuk sitll had like a point a game this year on what was arguably the worst team in the league.

36 points in 41 games isn't bad but, he was the 2nd highest paid player and didn't perform like he was. Only 1 of his injuries was a result of not being in shape. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy from when I have talked with him. I just have never cared for the guy when he plays. And the record here shows that we were the worst team.

Off season? whats that? :huh: nah but actually dont stop skating at all. Skate as much as possible. Id play every day if possible. 5-6 times a week is good enough though. If theres no way to play, rent the rink, invite friends and have them each pay $5 or something and have a rat. I do that everyweek. It works perfectly.

36 points in 41 games isn't bad but, he was the 2nd highest paid player and didn't perform like he was. Only 1 of his injuries was a result of not being in shape. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy from when I have talked with him. I just have never cared for the guy when he plays. And the record here shows that we were the worst team.

Tkachuk didn't make up and sign that contract by himself, if you think he is overpaid it's not his fault, it's the dumbasses who offered all that money to him. His production was almost identical to his career averages. Maybe this case is a bit different cause he didn't keep himself in shape, but it always makes me laugh when people get mad at players like Bobby Holik or Martin Lapointe for being overpaid. Is it really realistic for anyone to say to their employer 'thanks for the offer, but I just don't think I deserve to make that much money'.

Anyways, sorry for my rant....back on topic. :P

Off season is a great time to work out and work on things like edge work and balance. Skating once or twice a week on edge drills is plenty.

I agree, use the offseason for working on technique and skills. My son's season is looonnggg. When the season is over I let him decide how much ice time he wants. Some times it's 4-5 days, sometimes it's 1.

He does the local camps, 3v3's and stick and puck. My feeling is he has enough pressure during the season he doesn't need any in the offseason.

Hockey is his passion, I would hate to see him loose it because of being burned out.

I'm surprised all of you guys get so much summer ice... most places I know of only keeps one surface open during the summer, and even then it's used way too much. I find it hard to get cheap ice in the summer.

here in the desert (Las Vegas) we have 3 sheets open year round. Our home sheet has daily stick and pucks. A majority of the time the stick and puck sessions are not crowded, sometimes it's like having private ice. The best is when you have about 8 friends/people out there and it just turns into a friendly game.