Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

New skates arrived, and they fit

I had asked a bunch of stupid questions about skates here recently, and was starting to get worried that they wouldn't fit, but my new skates arrived to work this morning.

Thanks all for your help and advice

Skates front/back

Skates side

One more stupid question.

on the two front wheels it says 76mm, then 72a and on the two back wheels it says 80mm then 76a

Does that mean the front can take 72 or 76, but has 76 installed? I don't know, this is on the actual wheels, so that seems to make no sense.

Also, hyper phantom wheels, with abec 3 bearings are what came with it

They ok?

Thanks

Yeh the 76mm bit is the size of the wheel

And the 72a part is the hardness of the wheel

If you ever replace them try and get the same sizes

Yeh Abec 3 and hyper phantoms are good, but look at the wheel on at the center it should be yellow does it say abec 3 on there because when i had mine i for some reason got abec 5 bearings with them

As indicated 76mm and 80mm are the wheel sizes and 72a and 76a are the durometers. Durometers in the low to mid 70s are primarily meant for indoor use. The lower the durometer the softer the wheel. High 70s are meant for heavier guys indoors or lighter guys outdoors and wheels with durometers in the 80s are meant for outdoor use. If you plan on using the skates outdoors you're probably better off to get a set of cheap outdoor wheels as those low durometer wheels you have won't last long outdoors.

Abec ratings are tests they do to see what kind of speeds a bearing can handle. The higher the rating the higher the speed it can theoretically handle, however; this doesn't always mean the higher the ABEC rating the better the bearing - some of that has to do with the quality of the parts. But generally ABEC 5 is considered a "better" bearing then an ABEC 3 bearing....I don't know if you'll actually notice a difference. Personally I can't tell much of a difference between an ABEC 1 no name bearing and an ABEC 5 for rollerhockey. There are higher end Swiss bearings with better small parts that are supposed to make a noticeable difference, but I haven't tried these. If you're just playing recreationally I'd just stick with the stock bearings, clean and lube them once in a while and when they start to sieze up or get really loud then buy some new cheap ones.

maybe it's psychological but i think when i use higher abec rated bearings it feels like i roll much more freely, and don't expend more energy pushing myself forward. u can glide much longer.

maybe it's psychological but i think when i use higher abec rated bearings it feels like i roll much more freely, and don't expend more energy pushing myself forward. u can glide much longer.

Same here, going from ABEC 5s on my old T4's a few yrs ago to ABEC 7's was a massive differnce, I almost felt too fast! lol.

yeah, but recreationally it won't make a big difference, especially considering the cash involved

and if you play outside on anything other than smooth concrete or sportcourt, (namely pavement), abec 7 or swiss would probably be a silly idea

I think you may have switched the wheel durometer and the sizes :lol:

As I recall, those skates have a 72-72-80-80 Setup (Hi-Lo) with 76a durometer wheels (Med-Soft for a heavier guy or a guy skating on wood, concrete, or outdoors)

Just don't want you buying the wrong sized wheels for your skates! ;)

So it's two 72mm wheels in front and two 80mm wheels in back.

I hope this is right! Check just to make sure!