Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom351

Blade Taping (am I nuts?)

I have always taped my blade normally, by wrapping it with friction tape. The obsessive part of me hates the feel of worn out tape on the ice (especially when the ice is snowy). I know that it does not matter, but the 'feel' bothers me. So rather than constantly re-taping because of the wear at the bottom, I have started using a utility knife to cut the tape at the very bottom of both front and back of the blade. I cut it about 1/8" or less above the "ice" after wrapping it tight. The result is that the rocker of the blade is untaped. I thought that the tape might peel from the bottom now, but this has not been a problem.

Opinions? Insults? Am I nuts for doing this?

TD

Alfredsson does the same thing for the same reasons. I've done it before with Inno blades in slushier summer ice, but I don't trust my comp. Synthesis blade to not chip without the extra layer of protection.

i have been trying this for the last month or so on my R2 composite blade and it works very well, i feel like i just have more control now, i do it just like alfy does, and it worked out well...

No, tape it up, then cut the tape across the front and then back face just above where the blade meets the ice. Then remove the tape along the bottom of the blade so that the blade is taped normally except for the absence of tape on the bottom edge.

You can kind of see it here: you can see where the white tape is cut because of the black blade.

alfredsson051003_vs_brodeur_wide.jpg

Did you use a utility knife or just a razor blade? I use a utility knife and follow the curved rocker along the bottom of the blade instead of cutting a straight line. I also wax the tape which probably helps prevent peeling if you play on ice.

this sounds like a great idea because i, like the rest of u, hate the feelin or "saggy" tape also. my only concern is, does ne body have problems cutting into the surface of the blade while cutting the tape? ex: pressing too hard

Just wondering, would'nt it have the same effect if you taped the blade lengthwise on each side of the blade?

The vertical edges in a standard tap job are supposed to give you more grip on the puck putting more spin on it.