Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoffer

Muscle Strains

Well I have one and was at the doctors. They said not to play for a week but I have a league championship coming Saturday. Will waiting from now to then be long enough you guys think? Also what would you guys use to speed up the healing process?

deep heat I find works well.

Were you at the docs today, if it was today and they said a week, then, saturday may be ok, so long as you look after it between now and then.

Maybe wrap it in ice for about half an hour, then put some deep heat on it after that.

Should make the muscles work without working, so start to heal, and feels so so good on strained muscles

EDIT: Where is the strain, this is how I help speed up my hammys when playing soccer, so maybe different for different muscle groups, may not work on the bicep or the likes

You may want to try some active recovery. Just work the muscle through its full range of motion. No weight but just do enough volume to get blood flowing to the muscle.

unless one of you are real doctor i think you should listen to yours and rest for a week.

Generally that is good advice, and you really cannot go wrong. My only heartburn with this is that most doctors are not athletes. Most of the doctors that I have experience with are intellectual book worms that have rarely worked up a sweat doing anything other than carrying their books from the dorm room to the library.

If your doctor is an athlete or is sympathetic to your situation then you are very lucky. Rest is always a good idea if it is hurting. You can still skate and do tons of leg exercises this week without messing with your back.

It depends on what hurts. If skating does not hurt, then do it to keep your legs and lungs and balance. If it hurts, then don't do it.

it also depends on how serious of a strain it is....one week is a relativly quick recovery time. I'd say dont lift any weights drink plenty of water, do some light stretching, shoulder rolls that kind of thing, not much though. My last trainer told me ice 20 minutes on, 30 off. A light message and a good hot bath or shower prolly wouldn't hurt. Although I remember reading someplace that heat right after the ice was bad for muscle strains.

Bottom line though, if he told you one week, wait until the game. Pop a couple advil before hand and see how things feel. If it dosen't hurt to bad, i'd play through the pain.

Check your insurance plan to see if it covers physical therapy and call 1 if it does. They will do a little work with it and give you some good excercises to do at home as well.

Another option you could try is to see a massage therapist. Quite a few NHL teams have one on staff for just this sort of thing.

"massage therapist"... hmmm would that be the ones that come with or without clothes? ;)

I can't remember where i heard this but apparently pro and elite level athletes tend to heal faster than non-active persons. It makes sense that their bodies are in excellent condition. On this one, I'd say give it a rest. No sense in doing more damage to your muscles just for one hockey game, even though it is a championship. I'm sure you want to play hockey in the future and with a healthy non-gimpy body, you'll enjoy it a lot more. I had a shoulder problem with baseball in highschool but i just kind of ignored it because i loved pitching. I continued and did some long term ligament damage which forced me to quite baseball, and that is why i now play the greatest game on earth (strange things happen). But I'd still love to play baseball but I just can't. Went to the girlfriend's softball practice and threw for a bit, but my should hurt for the next 3 days.