Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lancerplayer

What Element is More Important?

What Element is More Important  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering what element is more important in hockey? I want to know because I want to know which I should focus more on in the off-season. I am 5'8" 140lbs and I say I have above average strenght for my size. Of course, I can always improve. I feel my cardio and my agility are not the best it can be. I play in a summer league and the first game I was dead. I had not been on the ice in over a month and I just had no wind in me. However, during the next game (week apart) I felt much better and I think this is because I was hitting the bike every day during the time in between games. With my cardio in better shape, it felt like my whole game improved. So to me, I think cardio is the most important. Sure you need strenght to win battles for the puck, but strenght will not allow you to last the whole game. Sure you need agility too, but without good cardio you may not even be on the ice because your too winded. So which do you think is the most important element out the 3 listed? Also, what are some ways of improving on them?

Cardio is a must in hockey. Of course you need all three to play the game at a high level. But i think of it as you can't keep up your agility and strength during the game WITHOUT cardio. Agility and strength are useless when you can only perform them for half your shift.

Yep i'd rather be the guy chasing loose pucks at the end of every shift then be the guy who thinks he's Gretzky for 1/2 a period or the guy that thinks becuase he can lay a check on somebody thinks he's an allstar

I would say cardio, but the right kind of cardio. For example a Marathoner wouldn't make a good hockey player. You need to be able to play at 100% for a one minute shift, recover within three minutes and go again. Then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Cardio, doesn't matter how much strength or agility you have if your body doesn't have the energy to use it.

If you are out of shape (cardio) then you'll find it very hard to work on your agility or your skill. You'll get tired and make mistakes and not be learning.

If your going to pickup, clinics or stick and puck and you can last longer then you'll get more out of it.

The guys I see learning faster are the younger ones' who you have to yell at to get off the ice. Me on the other hand, I learned at 39 and it was slow going at first until I worked on my Cardio.

If you can't skate hard in a 60-90 second shift then your not in good enough shape. Yes skilled people who are out of shape will be better than you but if your trying to learn, you better be able to make the most of your ice time.

I see younger guys who are in better shape, skating around working on skills in stick and puck for a solid hour with little breaks. Imagine having to spend half your time resting? Your gonna take twice as long to improve. Work on your cardio on your off days. If you play only once per week, you gotta hit the treadmill or cycle doing interval training or your not gonna improve. I finally got that into my head this year and doing the treadmill when I have more than 3 days between games is really helping.

Although cardio is very important, leg strength is what powers you past the D. I have gotten much stronger in my legs and see a bigger improvement in my performance then with good cardio. I now have just ok cardio since i was unable to play for a while but feel great on the ice because of new leg strength.

Personally I think agility is one of the most important skills to have. If you dart in and out of traffic you'll always have a step on the opponant. Balance and edge control are huge factors in it. Take Eric "Stoll" for example I wouldn't really call him a fast skater but he's is able to dart across the blueline coming at top speed while keeping the puck glued to his stick

Really depends what position you play. The anchor is cardio/conditioning obviously but for forwards, you'll need agility and speed for those breakouts and chasing the puck from end to end. As a defender, you'll need strength to tie up the player in front of the net and on the boards, deliver hard hits and have a good shot.

Tough choice though. Really tough.

Cardio: I was always smaller/weaker back in Peewee/bantam AAA days but I could dominate for two reasons, the fact that I played soccer so I could go forever, and speed.

I have none of these, as I am a 31 year old beer leaguer!!

ditto, except I'm 27. <_<

Anyway, it's just like Quintin said: everyone needs cardio, agility and strength kind of go along with playing style. An enforcer needs just enough agility to hit people ;)