Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

upset stomach

Maybe it's early onset of heat exhaustion (not related to food)? If the pads are trapping too much heat, and he is zipping around in a hot indoor rink? During the game his competitive instincts would keep him running on "high".

Maybe he has asthma? I would feel out of breath after games when I was younger (and feel queasy), and that was because I had a mild case of asthma that they hadn't discovered yet. It could be asthma since he might not be getting enough oxygen and it would only start to show up after the game since he's so tired. I'm just throwing ideas out there so this might be completely irrelevant.

not too sure about the situation in the US... do the kids share their waterbottles? dont forget that with all the sweat and stuff around the rink, there is a lot of bacteria... if the kids eat after that without washing hands, they could be ingesting some of the bacteria...

not too sure about the situation in the US... do the kids share their waterbottles? dont forget that with all the sweat and stuff around the rink, there is a lot of bacteria... if the kids eat after that without washing hands, they could be ingesting some of the bacteria...

hadn't really thought of that. Everyone seems pretty germ-phobic ourselves included. Not too much water bottle sharing going on. I don't think it is a bacteria type thing as it is only on the nights he plays. An infection would last longer it would seem. Thanks for the thought though.

You know you have not mentioned how competetive is his mindset?

Does he put himself into such a pumped up mental state during the game and then when it is over there is no way for him to release that mental wind up? Just a thought. Nerves?

When I was playing competetive in school I would get my head so into the psych that I would get a knot in my stomach-never ralphed because of it but felt I could have.

You can definitly rule out a bacteria issue as he would puke other than after a game. Diarrhea would also go with a bacterial bug more than likely

It is not entirely uncommon for people to ralph after extensive physical activity. Especially if he puts his all into it. Ive watched motocross racers chuck after races time and time again

As long as it does not manifest itself in other aspects of his life I dont know how much I would stress on it too much.

More importantly you want to deal with the loss of nutrients and fluids and make sure that you get those into him after his stomach settles. This will have a more substantial effect than anything he eats before the game as post game is when his body is rebuilding and replenishing its stores.

Unpleasant for you guys, yes

But probably not a major health issue to be concerned with.

You are wise to check with his doctor though

You know you have not mentioned how competetive is his mindset?

Does he put himself into such a pumped up mental state during the game and then when it is over there is no way for him to release that mental wind up? Just a thought. Nerves?

He is very competitive, but also very stoic about it. He never yells, or screams, only whoops when he or his teammates score. He is very intense. I think this all means that he keeps it all bottled up inside. It would be good to figure a way to unwind after a game, though the stomach pain has already started by then. Season is over now, so we have a few months to work through this.

Thanks for all the ideas. Don't hesitate to add more.

Just thought of something - but as I start to type I seem to recall you said it started on the bench, so this is not likely a cause, but possibly a factor....

Have you considered a reaction to whatever chemicals they use to swab out the dressing room floor?

well when i drink 2 cases at a party, i have to piss like every 5 mins so i figured i was over-hydrated. anyway my doctor said it was good for my kidneys so thats a good enough excuse for me.

You have to "piss like every 5 mins" because alcohol is a toxin that your body is trying to flush from your system.

Just thought of something - but as I start to type I seem to recall you said it started on the bench, so this is not likely a cause, but possibly a factor....

Have you considered a reaction to whatever chemicals they use to swab out the dressing room floor?

Hadn't thought of that. I do not think it is anything unique as opposed to what we use at home. Good idea though.

All of the above are great before and after a game as well as gatorade, jelly bean or other items that are easily digested.

A doctor would be a good, safe option.

I used to munch on Gummy Bears when I ran cross country when I was younger. I never heard the jelly beans but it is along the same line and makes sense to me.

Same thing happened to me last year. Being one of stonger players on the ice for my team I already felt that I had enough pressure on me. Then my team started destroying our competition. We were getting over-hyped, my team became in the number 2 nationally ranked bantam AA team. The pressure just increased more. During the season, we were undefeated and I feared the loss to ruin a perfect season. Pressure increased even more. Then my team got out of the top 5 nationally ranked teams. I felt better and played better. Then we went into playoffs, pressure just got added on for me to perform at my best. We won our leauge but, state rollled arround.

We played through the seeding round losing to the top ranked team in the state and we beat the other Central States teams witch we did not play in the season. Then we made it into the semis. My coach shortened up the bench and i was getting the most ice time on my team. We won our semi final game.

The the ship came, I had so much pressure on me. I missed 2 days of school before this game because I was puking my brains out. The game came my whole team was so nervous but we had nothing to lose. We were playing the top ranked team in the state again. I puked a few times before the game. The game started up I puked half way into the first. We were tied 2-2 the rest of the game. After the first 3 periods I puked on the bench. And we went into tripple overtime and lost off a faceoff in our zone. After the game, I sat down and was pissed that we lost because we came so close. But, when i got into my car I felt so much better.

Hockey felt like a job to me and the pressure for me to perform was just gettting to me. It was more of a mental thing in my case but, when you take a little break off it feels better to go out and play again without the pressure on your back.

Thanks slapshot...my sport was individual/paired, so I've always kind of assumed that a team environment lessens some of the pressure. I'm going to have to re-gig my thinking on this: I can see how it could be possible that my kid, who sounds intense like gman's son, might be putting a ton of pressure on herself because she's a strong player on the team. Silly me, I always thought that would be LESS pressure!

Hadn't thought of the jelly beans or honey, great ideas. Power gels might be good too. We have no history of diabetes in the family so I will put that on the back burner for a little while longer.

His coach is awesome. I would pay the guy if he could coach my son all the way through. he keeps the kids rotating very well with short shifts. My son is very intense and is one of the faster/harder skaters out there. That is one reason I think he needs to get used to the feeling of fatigue. He loves going to games and looks foreword to it all week. He is in a great mood the day and evening of games and has a smile on his face the entire time. As I said, he feels fine the whole game. We had one overtime where I though he was going to get sick by looking at him from the sidelines while coach was giving marching orders. but then he sucked it up during overtime and ended up scoring the game winning short handed goal.

Then he was sick again..... What to do???

Even if you have no history of diabetes in your familly, you shouldn't put that on the back burner as it a very dangerous illness and it should be caught as early as possible. I would personally take him to his doctor for tests just in case. He may feel sick to his stomach because he just plays harder than his energy levels permit him to do. Maybe he's just too nervous or something. Bottom line is that I would consult a physician.

The rink only allows clear water in the bottles. THey will actually give penalty minutes if you put stuff in the water. Can you believe that?!?!?! I think I may have him pop a power bar gel, or a gu before the game and then another or a skittle or five after the game to see how that works.

I still think he just needs to get the feeling of going all out. I know that when I do a 20 rep squat workout, occasionally I get close to puking. I did not think he was working that hard, but perhaps I can relate to his efforts afterall.

My son only weighs about 85# and is 11 years old. I really do not think he could go that long without food. Especially if he is expected to compete in a hockey game. For an adult, not eating for so long might be a good idea since they have little more gas in the reserve tank, if you know what I mean.

He has not had any trouble at all since season ended. We spent all day at the beach yesterday body surfing. While it was not as intense, of course, as hockey, we were there a lot longer than a hockey game and it was still very physical.

Based on this, I am leaning again towards nerves. I did change his vitamins (thanks Tigirl), and am working on changing his hydration (thanks everyone). We will be playing again in a few weeks just pick up at the outdoor rink, so we will see if that brings back any more trouble.

I really do appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a great group of people. Thank you.

My son only weighs about 85# and is 11 years old. I really do not think he could go that long without food. Especially if he is expected to compete in a hockey game. For an adult, not eating for so long might be a good idea since they have little more gas in the reserve tank, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I got ya'. But I just turned 19 and I've done this since I was at least 14, but the difference between 11 and 14 is huge.

I don't eat anything at all from 5-6 hours before games. I've gone 12 hours before as well.

that's not a good thing, with no nutrients to power your body you are forcing it to get energy from your fat stores, which is very inaffective.

I don't eat anything at all from 5-6 hours before games.  I've gone 12 hours before as well.

that's not a good thing, with no nutrients to power your body you are forcing it to get energy from your fat stores, which is very inaffective.

Maybe my body is just used to it but that's something I definatley don't lack is energy on the ice.