Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Swiss Bones

I use bones swiss and prefer them over BSB. Just a higher quality bearing IMHO, but its all subjective at that level of bearing

I have used both, although the Bones were a while ago. As far as I can tell ther was not much difference, both are very high quality.

Personally I think either will be great as long as you take care of them and keep them cleaned and lubed.

one comes with more of a grease than oil which takes a little longer to break in..but in reality if you buy either set, clean them and use your own preference for lube...they essentially the same...the tolerances are so minute between bearings...even an abec 3 and 5..is 10.000th's of an inch for the diameter of the race ...it comes down to what a bearing is made out of in most instances that determines its effectiveness...

they have jack to do with speed..if you have a set of bones or bsb...you should be set for years...

I am looking into some bones swiss bearings but i was just wondering about the fact that people say the BSB 608 swiss bearings are the best on the market but i had some come on my mission 7500 and the wheels didn't spin at all. Might this be because they are stock bearings? I could buy a set of them or a set of the 608 bones swiss bearings. Also which bearing is lighter?

Can't answer that question, but I've noticed that Mission Swiss bearings aren't that great. Mine broke down fairly quickly. I do know that the Mission Titanium bearings are amazing, though, and so are the ones that come on the Bauer 30-90. Your "stock" bearings aren't stuck or anything; they just need to be skated on some more. Once you reach a certain speed, it will spin more freely at that speed.

bearings have nothing to do with speed...

if you took even a quality set of ABEC3 bearings (chrome heat treated steel etc) and cleaned/lubed them properly they would work fine...

ABEC ratings are pretty much useless for hockey or any inline skating since they are just the physical dimensions and tolerances of a bearing ...one that is made for a vaccum cleaner, sewing machine and anything else that doesn't put any sideloading forces on the ball/race etc

i don kno man when i first tried out my new BSB swiss minis, coming off of abec 5s, i felt really damn fast like 2x faster than i was before.

bearings have nothing to do with speed...

if you took even a quality set of ABEC3 bearings (chrome heat treated steel etc) and cleaned/lubed them properly they would work fine...

ABEC ratings are pretty much useless for hockey or any inline skating since they are just the physical dimensions and tolerances of a bearing ...one that is made for a vaccum cleaner, sewing machine and anything else that doesn't put any sideloading forces on the ball/race etc

Honestly, if you think that special lube will make you faster, you are even more deluded than the people who think that all bearings have the same potential.

An Abec-9 bearing will spin longer and faster than an Abec-3 with your special lube, as you stated, given the same force. Cleaning and relubing a fresh Abec-3 bearing will not make it an Abec-9, simply because of the stated tolerances. Not by a long shot.

My Bauer 30-90s have "Abec-9" bearings, and are better than any other bearing that I've had. And don't tell me that I could just clean up an Abec-3 and it would be the same. It's not. Every second you're on an Abec 3, you lose speed at almost half the rate that you gain it.

And although physical conditions such as weight and power transfer may change the effectiveness of a bearing, I am sure that most people will agree that an Abec-9, Swiss, Super 6, or Titanium, will kick the crap out of some lubed up Abec-3.

And yes, bearings have a lot to do with speed. A Hell of a lot.

The only way you're going to "fix up" an Abec-3 is to put the balls back into the grinder, not by cleaning and lubing. If you haven't tried a quality bearing, I suggest you do so.

get over it, I have 30-90's the bearings, they are ok..same as a bunch of others..you missed my point earlier which is..

1. what a bearing is made out of is much more important than just an ABEC rating is..(do you even know what ABEC is >.Annual Bearing Engineering Council...they set the tolerances and dimensions for the specs..

2. A bearing doesn't have to pass all the ratings to receive that rating..

3. how a wheel "spins" when you are not skating on it tells you almost nothing about it. its like kicking a car tire..

4. Bearings are a measure of smoothness..a wheel has to do with speed..want to argue that point, call Chad Hedrick's dad..he coined it..

also seen guys like Hedrick arrive at a race, pop in some Boss 5's out of the clamshell and waste all...from your math earlier...he should have lost by quite a bit to equal racers who were running better bearings...??

Typically in the inline skate world bearings are sourced from the same people who make them for vaccum cleaners, sewing machines and the like..they are just stamped differently...

if you have a set of bearings that are created out of the same materials in all parts, then clean and lube them ...not tell the person what's in them...they'll never know...typically though an ABEC 3 that is $22 for a set has a lower grade or non chrome heat treated steel in its construction etc..so yes..there is a performance difference when sideloading the bearing..also lower grade metals tend to use lots of grease to pack the bearing and keep it from degrading too quicky..so yes you're super cool ABEC 9's will outlast and perform a set of 3's because they aren't the same in the hockey world with most companies..

I've been involved with inline (hockey, speed, etc) for nearly 20 years, I'll still use Boss or Bones in most situations, seen all the fads come and go, Sin System, Titantium, Ceramic, V-8, mini (x2) and it still comes down to finding a bearing that is well constructed regardless of its rating unless you plan on doing come vaccum cleaning races in the summertime..

I have the Mission Titanium bearings. They are sick, love the caseing they came in too B) Still use it for storing a complete set of extra bearings on road trips. Looks like something you would keep your glasses in... :lol:

Oh and if you can't feel a difference between Abec 3's or BSB swiss/Mission Titaniums or other "high-end" bearings, you ain't skateing too much.

Though, I can only feel it indoors on wood or sportscourt/Icecourt, playing outdoor hockey on tarmac will neglect the difference in bearing quality/speed IMO.

Outdoor skateing you will probaly benefit more from a lower abec rateing, since the bearing will be more durable.

I give up...lol..

essentially what is being misconstrued is that ABEC ratings = higher end when in all actuality its the materials that make the difference...if you personally think you could tell the difference between bearings (ie. ABEC 5 & 7) whose tolerances are 1/10000th of an inch apart and are constructed with the same high end materials..you're insane.. it would be like discerning from 2 of the same OPS that are less than a gram apart in weight and being to objectively tell which one is lighter..yet if one was stamped 465 and the other 470 all of us would have our take

yes there are POS bearings out there..many that are cheap $ wise and have lower ratings..but an ABEC 9 made out of the same crap stamped steel isn't better than a well made ABEC 3/5/etc..

I skate just fine thanks, not what I was 10 years ago @ my first NARCh..but enough to skate on a weekly basis with the kids who still play :P

people should have good bearings..my point was that a well made bearing goes a lot deeper than the rating, because the rating means jack in the inline world..

So essentially, based on what you are saying, an "Abec 3" rated bearings and an "Abec 9" rated bearing, both made of Titanium, would have little difference in top end speed and rolling resistance?

I've had my fair share of shitty bearings, mostly Mission. Mission Abec 3 and Mission Abec 9, although both have flaws, have different rolling times and maximum speeds, due to the ability of the bearing to maintain speed while striding.

Can't answer that question, but I've noticed that Mission Swiss bearings aren't that great. Mine broke down fairly quickly. I do know that the Mission Titanium bearings are amazing, though, and so are the ones that come on the Bauer 30-90. Your "stock" bearings aren't stuck or anything; they just need to be skated on some more. Once you reach a certain speed, it will spin more freely at that speed.

Wait, so what the Hell were we arguing about again? The above is what I first said. Somehow, Jim here interpreted that I was talking about Abec Ratings and speed.

Note that I said nothing about Abec in there. Funny how people just make up words like that.

It's also funny that just I started arguing. I'm just like that, I guess, the opposite of everything.

By the way, I was talking about the "Breaking In" of a bearing. Nothing to do with ABEC or how it affects speed.

who's arguing???

we agree on most stuff, I think we are presenting it differently, I brought up the ABEC stuff to make a point on bearings in general that 99% of the people out there get wrong..higher ABEC ratings dont' equal greater speed..bearings aren't responsible for speed..smoothness & acceleration quite a bit..but speed is the result of the wheel...

I'm a big fan of the Hot Shots. I don't have quite enough money or the heart to buy Hornets, so I go down a bit lower. Anyways, the Hot Shots beat the crap out of Dynasty's, Millenium's, Trinity's, or anything that I've ever used. I can't imagine what the Hornet or MB816 is like, but I know I absolutely love the Hot Shot, and indeed, the vertical retention of a wheel does determine speed. Those dynasty's just squish around under my feet, even with good bearings.