Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martywest

Are they worth $120 more?

Hockeymonkey has 852's o4 model on clearance for $129. The 892's are at least $249 everywhere I looked. Is there enough of a difference to warrent spending $120 more on the 892's. Disregard for a moment on the cost of first sharpening and baking. Is the skate itself worth $120 more. I've spent a ton of money in the past few months at my local hockey store, so there is no guilt on my part by buying on-line. I just can't really tell if there were enough improvements made to the 892's to warrent the extra $$. Any help?

I have 852's and think they're a great skate. If you know they fit, they'll be good performers. Also, any wise money manager will tell you that saving $120 after tax dollars is a very good thing.

The only differences I can think of are the lace lock (pretty sweet feature) and the outside material is different as opposed to being all stitched on the '04.

The majority of the price difference is due to the fact that they are last year's model. From what I can see the biggest difference would be the holders. Prolite3 vs the E-Pro. I couldn't see too much of a difference after that...

The X92 series is better than the X52 series over the last few years.

why?? For me the 2004 series look better-made than the 2005, i highly prefer the composite outsole over the plastic one.For me holder doesn't matter because i had t'blades and now LS2.I prefer the tongue of the older tack(03-04) than the new one, a bit more stiff(can't remember but i know i prefer the older one). And the 92 series look like Ultra-Stiff, i feel like i couldn't never break them, they look like tank loll, Finally, the rbk model look-like vector and the tacks look like a copies of the vector... :blink:

The construction of the last few years of the X52 tacks wasn't as good as in the past or the new ones.

why?? For me the 2004 series look better-made than the 2005, i highly prefer the composite outsole over the plastic one.For me holder doesn't matter because i had t'blades and now LS2.I prefer the tongue of the older tack(03-04) than the new one, a bit more stiff(can't remember but i know i prefer the older one). And the 92 series look like Ultra-Stiff, i feel like i couldn't never break them, they look like tank loll, Finally, the rbk model look-like vector and the tacks look like a copies of the vector... :blink:

agreed, I feel the 2004 model tacks were the best looking tacks ever.

Obviously how they look is the most important factor in buying skates. What does quality matter when you can look cooler? I would even disagree with the assertion that the 04s looked good.

Obviously how they look is the most important factor in buying skates. What does quality matter when you can look cooler? I would even disagree with the assertion that the 04s looked good.

chadd chill man, I was just stating what I thought....besides, I tried skating on the 952 for 3 months withount any problems at all. Great skates IMO.

chadd chill man, I was just stating what I thought....besides, I tried skating on the 952 for 3 months withount any problems at all. Great skates IMO.

My 952s sucked but I loved my old (99-00) 852s. The newer models couldn't really compare to them until they switched to the X92 series.

come on chadd, IMO the best skate i used was the 1152 with T'blades, i think they were the 2003.You can't say these 1152(top-end skate from ccm) were not well-made!

come on chadd, IMO the best skate i used was the 1152 with T'blades, i think they were the 2003.You can't say these 1152(top-end skate from ccm) were not well-made!

I saw plenty of those with fiberglass shards sticking out of the bottom or soles that came off. Glad to hear you got a good pair but more often than not they didn't hold up in my experience.

No way. I don't know the exact years but from the intro of the first ccm pump skate to the first generation 852 kevlars and everything in between was the best looking. Including modano style 652's.

CCM aesthetics went downhill from there compared to those models.

No way. I don't know the exact years but from the intro of the first ccm pump skate to the first generation 852 kevlars and everything in between was the best looking. Including modano style 652's.

CCM aesthetics went downhill from there compared to those models.

I think the first pumps were '92 or '93. I remember I got a pair as a pee-wee for cheap because they were discontinued. But yeah, I think those were the best looking CCM skates. I do like the look of the new Thornton style Tacks, too.

But anyway, my '05 ProTacks are holding up quite well, so Chadd is right about the build quality being better nowadays.

Go for the 852's. Their a great skate and even if you don't like the Pro Lites holders it'll only cost sixty to ninty dollars to put on a pair of E blades and you'll still be cheaper off. And the beauty is you don't need to replace them right away. it can wait until you scrape up the cash at some future date. Like someone else said the newer 892's are much stiffer skates but I don't think they warrant the extra $120 you'll spend on them.