Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

domileafs28

shifts

In general a shift is about 45-60 seconds, depending on stoppages/game situations. Basically, go balls out and when you're tired, get off. Keep an eye on your line mates...when they go, you go too.

And don't change when the other team is going into your defensive zone. Backcheck and change when you go on the offensive.

I'm sure alot of people (on here) will say.. don't bother.

i knew that was coming... go ahead and close this topic if it's gonna be another "lets hate on domi" thread...

it looks like i have a chance at getting in the NHL after all... everyone hates me worse than the real domi :lol:

Most competitive leagues will say 45 seconds to a minute. From what I have observed, the older the team, the longer the shifts. Fustrating but true :)

-dave

it looks like i have a chance at getting in the NHL after all...

I wouldn't even say that out of saracasm.

Most people say 45 sec but when i checked out what my team did it was closer to 90 secs, basically becuase the coach would rather we didn't change on the fly as we have a history of letting stupid goals in when we do that

Too many variables to give you a solid answer.

Ice vs Roller

Checking vs Non-checking

Running clock vs stop clock (are you going by real time or game time)

Youth level, mens league

How many lines does your team have

Do you have a coach that controls the line changes

Are you playing on an NHL size rink? Olympic?

Competition level

Are you playing basic free-for-all rec level hockey? Or does your team play a particular strategy?

45-60 sec is pretty standard for a rec level mens league. However, this usually turns into closer to 90 seconds when people stay out too long.

Depends on roller vs. ice really, and what group your with. If its a group of your friends and everyone knows that they all just want to play, the playing time could be 1:30 for ice and 2:30 for inline. Around here the inline shifts are :230 at the very least.

I think its because we do so many ironman tournaments.

For forwards in a "normal" rec-level league, 45-60 seconds is the standard answer; I usually find it's more like 60-90 seconds. Defensemen usually stay out longer (90-120 seconds or so) IME.

Shifts (esp. for D) tend to be longer in the second period, since you have to skate to the far bench, and it can be tough to get there if the other team keeps some pressure on.

If you have a really intense shift (D going coast-to-coast, then backchecking hard, for example) you might cut the shift short.

The real answer is that you want to get to the bench before you feel tired. If you keep your shifts short enough that you still have energy at the end, you'll be less tired at the end of the game, which can be important for last-minute rushes (by either team) and can be a huge advantage.

You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket right after you climb out of the open sewer you just fell into.

You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket right after you climb out of the open sewer you just fell into.

haha nice :lol:

havent heard anything remotley like that in a long time.

Damm I would love to try one of those ironman tournaments someday.

We don't have them around here in Europe, but the concept is cool for a tourny.

I've grown up playing 2on2 and 3on3 with friends, so I'm very capable of playing without substitutes :lol:

Yeah, around here, in rec leagues our shifts can go as much as 5-7 minutes.

In a pick up game I played at college (no other hockey avail) -- we played for an hour and 30 minutes straight and some guys would pull solid 20 minute shifts... it was insane. I felt so... small when I'd have to shift out after 4 minutes. Lol.

Competitive, with a coach, my experiences are 45-90 seconds, and 1-2 minutes for defense.

Short shifts early allow for long shifts later in the game.

Very good point -- if you're playing competitively, your coach probably knows this and you've probably seen him implement it.