Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Which one to sacrifise

After scanning my LHS, I couldnt find an affordable new stick that would offer me both a proper stick lenght and an effective flex. I am a short guy and want some flex but that just isnt going to happen. So my problem is: Should I cut my stick to my chin and have good puck handling skills or should I keep it up to my forehead and keep the flex. I want to be able to pass and carry and have a good shot. So what is more importatn? Stick length or flex?.

i don't see why you can't find a shorter shaft (ie. intermediat) with a good flex on it.

i'd cut it. u can still pass and shoot great with a cut shaft. if your stickhandling and control improves that much more with a cut shaft, then i think that's important. imho, control is the most important thing

With all the different sticks available on the market today, there is no reason why you should have a stick that is not the proper length for you. As suggested earlier, go with an intermediate stick. They are normally much more flexible than senior sticks. So even if you cut it to the proper height it will still provide the desired flex.

Cut it down, I think you may be over-estimating the effect you'll have by cutting it. If you aren't it's more important to be able to stick handle and shoot better anyways or you won't be able to get the oppurtunity to use that flex you seem to want so much.

Both stick length and flex are important to me. I personally wouldn't compromise on either unless there's a good reason to (special OPS pattern), especially with the options available. Now is this stick's butt end coming to your forehead where, on skates, feet, where on the forehead?... It'll be tough finding a proper blade lie for a stick that long. Look for a whip flex TPS shaft or int. as suggested if you find 85's too stiff. I also find TPS's int. shafts are pretty whippy and if you like a rounded handle, all the better. BTW what are you using now?

Basicly I am currently around 5 6, I dont play ice hockey I play compettive ball hockey which is played on running shoes. Right now in my shoes it comes up to the bottom of my eyes, I heard that between mouth and chin is a good length to have as a forward, so I hold it to where my chin would be and I flex it from there and its a bit stiff and for ball hockey you tend to need more whip. I ll probally end up cutting it quite a bit, proablly to lower mouth or middle chin. Do you think mouth-chin is a good length for winger?

That's all preference. Don't ask what others think is a good length...you're the one that has to use it. Cut it to the length that you'd like it to be.

Getting an intermediate stick would be ideal for your situation. Along with being shorter than a senior stick, the flex should just be about right for ball hockey. I don't know how strong/heavy you are but a ball weighs next to nothing and the extra flex should give you a nice shot.

with the selection out there, i don't see why you can't go with an intermediate. actually, i find with ball hockey, the whippyer the better, and u get more whippy shafts in intermediate anyways.

Don't forget to check out some online retailers for sticks either. Just b/c your LHS doesn't have the stick you are looking for doesn't mean that you can't find it online. If you have a certain stick in mind that you want to purchase then search around and I am sure that you will find it for a reasonable price. Even if you spend a little more than normal it might be better than using a stick that you hate. Don't make your game fit the stick, make the stick fit your game.

There are no cheap intermediate stick. Its absoulty bull how I have to pay over 100 dollars Canadian for an intermediate and the cheapest interemdates my LHS has is the red lite and still that is very pricy.