Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grave77Digger

Just had my teeth KO'd

i was playing pick up hockey this year in september and i got a slapshot on the mouth and i broke 7 of my teeth and chipped and cracked a bunch of other ones and the dentist fixed everything up and i wear a mouth guard and cage at ALL times now no matter what fuck it almost cost me 10 000 CAD to get it all fixed.. including the replacement teeth the root canals and stuff its expensive..

So how does a mouthpiece protect against a concussion?

If you smack your head on the boards or ice (front or back) you'll probobly still get a concussion, even if you're wearing a mouthgaurd.

Alot of concussions are caused by the bite down on impact from a collision like the one you spoke of. The mouthguard absorbs the brunt and you don't get the concussions.

So how does a mouthpiece protect against a concussion?

If you smack your head on the boards or ice (front or back) you'll probobly still get a concussion, even if you're wearing a mouthgaurd.

Alot of concussions are caused by the bite down on impact from a collision like the one you spoke of. The mouthguard absorbs the brunt and you don't get the concussions.

That makes sense.

Maybe I should get one.

Cage for me too. I don't care what people call me. I got hit in the mouth with a puck too but only needed some stitches. Ever since then, I always wear a cage. It's not worth it. I have been hit in the cage many times since as well and all I say is thank god for the cage. Can't trust anyone on the ice. Maybe if I was Mats Sundin and was being paid lots of $$$ play, itd be a different story.

What kind of douchebag whips a puck at face level? if you catch a puck you drop it at your feet not whip it at the nearest guys face

I really doubt he was aiming for the nearest guy, come on. I understand your pissed and youve got that right, but Im sure youd do the same thing if you were in his spot. Do what ever you can to get the puck away from you before you get leveled.

Um, am I supposed to add to the poll here? :P cage. I dont really have a choice at my age

Cage all the way, I can see fine out of it, and its required under NCAA regulations. When I'm playing pick up I don't trust kids that rip slap shots at my head in front of the net enough to take the thing off. That and I value my pretty face way too much. :D

I know I SHOULD wear the cage, but I've been playing pickup roller for so long without a problem that I don't see it as necessary. I'm sure I'll start wearing it for open hockey/leagues (I usually wear a visor on ice) as soon as I lose a few teeth.

Actually I saw someone take a puck to the nose after it went off the crossbar tonight. Lots of blood, It wasn't pretty.

welcome to hockey.

I agree champ.

Maybe it was a stupid move, maybe the guy deserves to have his face disoriented, but if you're not wearing protection, I have no sympathy for you. I've been in and seen too many incidents to know this is no freak accident. You step on the ice, you are in danger! This is hockey.

Valid point, but I think it's also fair to expect a minimum amount of competency from everyone on the ice, especially if you're playing at an above-beginner level. Guys who are out of control, sticks going wild, etc. should be expected at beginner levels, and full gear is a must there, IMO. If you're out with people who should know better, I don't think you should have to worry about somebody whipping a puck into your face from four feet away. Still, you'll never see me without a full cage (mainly because I suck. :) If I ever get better I'll keep it on, though).

welcome to hockey.

I agree champ.

Maybe it was a stupid move, maybe the guy deserves to have his face disoriented, but if you're not wearing protection, I have no sympathy for you. I've been in and seen too many incidents to know this is no freak accident. You step on the ice, you are in danger! This is hockey.

Valid point, but I think it's also fair to expect a minimum amount of competency from everyone on the ice, especially if you're playing at an above-beginner level. Guys who are out of control, sticks going wild, etc. should be expected at beginner levels, and full gear is a must there, IMO. If you're out with people who should know better, I don't think you should have to worry about somebody whipping a puck into your face from four feet away. Still, you'll never see me without a full cage (mainly because I suck. :) If I ever get better I'll keep it on, though).

I definately agree that full protection is a must at the beginner level, but I also know whin fit hits the shan that people get excited and things happen. My opinion is that unless you're planning on a career in hockey or already have one you would be wise to wear as much protection as you can get. But in the end what do I know I'm just a beginner who can barely skate.

Grave

some of these guys are not cutting you any slack, but i can tell you that i have been the victim of some of the dumbest crap ever on the ice. just over a year ago i had to have my nose sewn back on due to a goaltender. i caught his paddle just about my top lip. the guy had no business being there doing what he was doing. if you are not involved in the drill go work on your shot at the other end of the ice. that said what the guy did was absolute stupidity. the problem is that we as players have to assume that most guys we play against are not too bright and take proactive measures. should we have to? i don't think we should, but then we are the ones that pay for their stupidity. even then stupid plays cannot account for crazy things like deflections. i can only imagine how you felt when it happened- with my nose dangling leaking profusely it took everything i had not to beat that guys a$$.

WOw now that sucks. I dont expect any sympathy nor want it. I got my "fake" teeth today, they look alright but I cant talk for shit in them. I doubt Ill ever wear them. Ill probably get some implants eventually. Luckily for me I just got married 2 weeks ago so I dont have to impress the women any more :lol:

Next time you see that SOB walk over and give him a little talk. That's just a stupid careless move on his part.

Hahaha, thought you were like 10 years old. Shouldn't be using language like that!! lol

now why would i want to do that? its bad enough I have to see myself in the mirror...

so we can pity you and make you fell better

just messing,

what ever you want to do its cool

Congratulations, you have joined the club! Call me crazy, but I thought it was sweet when mine were knocked out. Just a freak accident, but really wierd considering the full circle of events: my buddy took a shot from the left circle, I went to block it and it deflected off of my shaft and went straight up into my nose and the top of my two front teeth. No big deal, except for that I had to leave the ice 5 minutes later to cough up the blood clot. A few weeks later, same buddy shoots from the left circle again, I go to block it again and it again deflects into my mouth. Unfortunately, this time, it hit the bottom of my two front teeth and my gumline on my jaw. I was only pissed because I figured it'd be expensive to repair, and I had my braces removed only a year before. I don't know if a mouthguard would have helped, I threw one in for the rest of the skate, and stopped using it after about 5 skates after the incident. You actually got lucky and had the whole teeth removed. I had a semi-circle showing from the front of my teeth, but there was nothing left in the back, as the puck knocked them out at an angle. It exposed the root of my right tooth, and the touching of that nerve is still the worst pain that I have ever felt, which I found out as I unsuccessfully tried to brush my teeth that night. I had them capped pretty well, with a root canal a possibility in the future. One of the worst parts, though, was going to work at the sporting goods store the next morning and working the floor. Made for some interesting attempted conversations, as I had to wait a few days to get the teeth fixed. I know my situation wasn't as serious as some have had it, but it still counts.

I wear a cage now, but it's only been a few weeks. I realized that ever since the incident, I don't approach blocking shots like I used to, even though I have never since been hit anywhere in the face by anything on the ice. It's a good idea, most of us aren't going anywhere, might as well protect the mug.

The week before Xmas I had my 2 front teeth (upper) knowcked clean out by a deflected shot. I had a gum shield in & they came clean out. My mouth was also cut from my lip to my nose, clean through.

I was rushed to the local hospital where I was stitched up & the on call dentist rammed (litteraly) my teeth back in. He held them in with dental paste. It was agony. I was unable to eat for 3 weeks.

When my own dentist looked at the teeth she said that the chances of them holding were very very slim. The good news is that 7 months later they are still in & are solid. I've had the nerves removed so I can't feel them but it beats getting new teeth. For implants it was going to cost about £4000 ($6000 US).

I wore a full shield for a while but couldn't get used to it so am back to my half shield. I also bought a new custom made gumshield from my dentist.

:lol:

this happened to me 2 years ago. My best advice now is- Get everything PRE APPROVED from your insurance company. I got screwed up the *** by my insurance company. I didnt read the whole thread but i assume you have 2 options. 1) Get implants- very expensive but for the most part perm and stronger. Most insurance companied do not pay for this. 2) Get a "bridge" much cheaper and aestheticly its almost the same. Down side is that its not as strong and will last 10-15 years. Good luck and enjoy playing with a cage now.

I was rushed to the local hospital where I was stitched up & the on call dentist rammed (litteraly) my teeth back in. He held them in with dental paste. It was agony. I was unable to eat for 3 weeks.

This is actually the 2nd time in my life that I had my front tetth knocked out. firt was 11 years ago when I got into a fight. they popped clean out and the dentist RAMMED them back in. They bonded them together and they held for 11 years until this recent accident. The dentist said they would have to come out eventually anyway. My mouth is still pretty sore, not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, they always bitch about me playing hockey and being late the next morning or getting hurt...

I got a new cage for league play that came in on friday, so I decided I would use it for my open ice session. Wouldn't ya know that the first night in about 3 months that I wear a cage is when I get clipped up high by a stick? It probably wouldn't have done any permanent damage, but I guess it's just fate telling me to be careful. I'm gonna wear the cage from now on.

FYI, I got the NBH 8500 oval cage, and it's much better than my old 4000 cage. Combined with my Itech HC100, it's light as a feather and I can barely feel it on my head. It was like I wasn't even wearing a cage.

thats when you break your stick over his shield.. when he has to pull aluminum wires out of his face.. tell him thats what he gets for wearing a shield.

Wow kitty, intelligence at it's best... Wearing a cage does not make one a sissy or a weaker person. If you don't mind losing your teeth, eye or getting your jaw shattered in pieces, be my guest, play with no cage or mouth piece. I play in beer leagues and would rather look like a wimp wearing a cage than look like a chimp because my face is teethless and coverd in scars from not wearing a cage. 80% of the players I play with wear at least a half visor and mouth piece combination with about 80% of that 80% wearing a full cage. If looking tough is more important to you than keeping your teeth and eye.. well good for you

I'm sure the guy didn't do it on purpose and shit happens during a hockey game. Sure, all are supposed to be responsible of their sticks on the ice.. but everybody's responsible for their protection too and not wearing a mouth piece or a full cage puts you at risk. I agree the guy could have just dropped the puck on the ice though instead of trying to fling it in the air.

I just pegged someone with a puck last night.. I was dumping the puck in along the boards and the dude dove... face first. I think I clocked him right between the eyes.. he got up and I thought he was ok but I guess they took him to the ER for a CAT scan to make sure all is well. atleast I didn't throw it at the guy.