Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SickLife

so i got called for a dive last game.

i had a clear breakaway from the redline in. i slowed up to stickhandle as i got to the goalie & someone caught up enough to slash/hook my right arm, causing me to lose my stock & fall foward.

they gave him a penalty, & gave me a dive. when i complained he said 'you didn't have to fall like that'

like, what possible reason do i have to intentionally dive on a breakaway?

he thought i embillished it. but come on. i didn't even expect it, how can i control how i fall?

it just makes no sense, & i'm still upset about it & have to vent. last game of the season's tonite & that overtime loss on mon was really bad for our seeding in the playoffs.

It's happened to me a few times in a few mens leagues that, because I'm a better skater than most of the guys, when I go down from something that threw me off balanced I would get a diving penalty. It would bother the hell out of me for the rest of the game too.

Another thing that drives me nuts happened the other night. I was playing on my friends mens league team cause they were short half their team, and his team is a couple divisions under my normal one. I would get hooked, tripped, held, everything ridiculously and the ref would say he's letting it go to "even it out". I wanted to break my stick on him because it was getting to the point where I thought I was going to be injured if one of these guys took my legs out near the boards or something.

A lot of referees are pissed about the new standard they are supposed to enforce and are looking for an excuse to call diving.

Doesn't the fact that he hooked you hard enough to draw a penalty make it really, really stupid to call a dive? I'm assuming that you didn't throw yourself to the ground and roll around like a Team Italy player in the dying minutes of a World Cup game, requiring oxygen and a stretcher, before re-entering play 30 sec later...

Doesn't the fact that he hooked you hard enough to draw a penalty make it really, really stupid to call a dive? I'm assuming that you didn't throw yourself to the ground and roll around like a Team Italy player in the dying minutes of a World Cup game, requiring oxygen and a stretcher, before re-entering play 30 sec later...

You can have both a penalty and unsportsmanlike conduct on any play. There is no specific penalty for diving but the fact there was one penalty doesn't prevent another one for happening.

Since when does a slash to an arm make you fall down? You deserved the penalty.

it was from behind. it was called a hook, but i have a pretty decent bruise from it, so it was hard enough to be a slash. regardless, it threw me off balance.

why would i dive rather than get a shot off if i could? its just stupid.

it was from behind. it was called a hook, but i have a pretty decent bruise from it, so it was hard enough to be a slash. regardless, it threw me off balance.

A slash to the arm knocked you off balance? I'm not the world's strongest skater but that would have to be one hell of a swing to knock me off balance.

A slash to the arm knocked you off balance? I'm not the world's strongest skater but that would have to be one hell of a swing to knock me off balance.

i couldn't see, because obviously it was from behind me. but 3 days later & i have a pretty dark 6" long x 3+" wide oval bruise from it. so i'd immagine it was.

i'm a strong skater, but i'm like under 140lbs, & was going pretty fast, as i was on a breakaway.

i couldn't see, because obviously it was from behind me. but 3 days later & i have a pretty dark 6" long x 3+" wide oval bruise from it. so i'd immagine it was.

i'm a strong skater, but i'm like under 140lbs, & was going pretty fast, as i was on a breakaway.

i slowed up to stickhandle

Fast or slow?

Don't slow down and you might not get caught next time.

Fast or slow?

i stopped my strides but at that point i went top speed from the redline to inside the hash marks, so even just gliding i was going pretty fast, get it?

Fast or slow?

i stopped my strides but at that point i went top speed from the redline to inside the hash marks, so even just gliding i was going pretty fast, get it?

You continued striding until you were inside the hash marks but before you could make any moves the guy slashed/hooked you so hard you dropped your stick, got a bruise and fell forward.

I can see why you got called for the dive. How you managed to not get a shot on goal is beyond me.

to be fair, a hook when your not expecting it because you're trying to put a move on a goalie can put you off balence, now the fall can be caused by things like ice conditions etc...

But from what you say, you might of put a little bit of jam on it to get the call, don't sweat it, even pros do it...

to try and milk a penalty shot out of it

to try and milk a penalty shot out of it

i guess. but given how fast it happens, & that i wasn't expecting it, i don't know how he thinks i could have time to actually decide how to fall. you know? thats all that bothers me.

Maybe next time just dump it in.

Wow! I had to check and make sure this was actually Mack and not Canadian_Made recommending the dump in on the break away.

I would get hooked, tripped, held, everything ridiculously and the ref would say he's letting it go to "even it out". I wanted to break my stick on him because it was getting to the point where I thought I was going to be injured if one of these guys took my legs out near the boards or something.

I know what you mean but my main concern is that the ref is calling it the same the whole game. If he's lazy to make a call one period then the next period hes all over things or something like that. As long as hes calling it loose or calling it tight. one way or the other, no borderline

I would get hooked, tripped, held, everything ridiculously and the ref would say he's letting it go to "even it out". I wanted to break my stick on him because it was getting to the point where I thought I was going to be injured if one of these guys took my legs out near the boards or something.

I know what you mean but my main concern is that the ref is calling it the same the whole game. If he's lazy to make a call one period then the next period hes all over things or something like that. As long as hes calling it loose or calling it tight. one way or the other, no borderline

A common situation that I find myself in is tightening up the game as it progresses when necessary. I ref mainly the A adult league in town and for the most part I call the game loosely. My thinking is that its adult league, most of the guys are friends, and that there isn't a need to be a dick about penalties until proven otherwise. However, if the game gets out of hand and a lot of shit starts to happen, I'll tell both captains that my partner and I are going to tighten the game up and to warn their players. That way the players are expecting what is happening, and they know the reasoning why. This is a very common practice in reffing.

Wow! I had to check and make sure this was actually Mack and not Canadian_Made recommending the dump in on the break away.

Like he's ever had good advice.

as a ref, i do watch to see where the hook/slash/grab occured. when a guy gets tugged on his arm and his feet somehow slip out its a tough call. the player goes flying and everyone starts screaming, but if i think the cause and the effect dont line up im not calling it just because someone falls down. calling it a dive goes into iffy territory. i would assume in this case the ref maybe thought you didnt fall until after you lost control of the puck, making it look like a dive. no matter how you slice it, its a tough call and as a ref you have to stand by your decisions. i try to only call dives when they are obvious and stupid - the type everyone can see. once you call one dive, every time someone falls you have everyone screaming at you to call another one. its a can of worms i for one dont like opening unless i feel i really have to. people alwasys call for the pros to call it more, but i can tell from you from pretty good experience its about the toughest thing to call. i wish there was a way to make it easy, but you just cant read peoples minds. its impossible to break down a play in text, we'd all have to see it. youre never gonna know what it looked like from his point of view.

Like he's ever had good advice.

Exactly my point. I'd hardly call dumping it in on a breakaway good advice.

My second thought was that Ken Hitchcock or Jacques Lemaire had stolen your password.