Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lindenhood

Flyweight shafts

TBL-

Odd, but if that's pro then that can't be used as proof. If that's the case I have sticks painted like Z-Bubbles that have no flare on them.

not yet, I'm waiting for it in the mail... And on top of that I'm on the shelf for a little while(unless I can get some meds that can stop the pain so I can play).

Yeah Mack, I thought about that. But I was just putting that out there.

I'm not 100% whether they made retail standard flyweights, but when it was introduced it was the first short hosel tapered shaft. Nobody wanted to deal with using a special blade, and it Didn't help any that the old Ion blades were almost as thick as the shaft. Mission gave up on it and like 2 years later the synthesis came along and boom: a star was born.

Exactly. I only remember the Dangler being introduced around the same time and I think that was their standard shaft, but I still haven't used anything Mission so I can't be certain.

Exactly. I only remember the Dangler being introduced around the same time and I think that was their standard shaft, but I still haven't used anything Mission so I can't be certain.

Yep. I had 2 Danglers and loved them. That's why I'm pretty much checking HM every day. The thought of a Tapered Dangler (flyweight) chills my bones...

lol, you're not the only one checking HM daily! I'm glade that they'll be from HM instead of hockeygiant! :lol:

DOWN WITH HOCKEYGIANT!!!

If I understand it all correctly, most tapered shafts have a consistent stiffness in the carbon throughout the stick, but the taper makes the overall amount of carbon less, thus less stiffness in that area, focusing the flex lower on the shaft.

Older missions (Flyweight, Dangler, etc.) have carbon of 2 different stiffnesses in one shaft. On top, the carbon was stiffer, and the bottom it was a bit whippier. It would be almost like fusing a 100 flex shaft to an 85 flex shaft, with the 85 flex shaft on the bottom. (disregarding length issues that would make the 85 stiffer) This also had an effect of focusing the flex to the lower fart of the stick- or at the very least, causing the stick to flex more in the lower 1/3. The flyweight combines both technologies.

You don't want to taper a shaft by reducing the amount of material used. There's too much wear and tear in that area to simply thin down the shaft walls.

It's not thinner in the walls, but thinner across the shaft. The shaft shape is different, but the walls remain the same.

In regards to the missions, I believe they also had a uniform wall thickness.

Monkey's not much better - I'd say worse.

hockeymonkey has been good to me so far so I don't have a problem with them. But it was a little joke because DamnLocust and I had the same issue with hockeygiant(the L5 skates).

Personally, I'd rather buy it from my LHS/Epuck/eastwesthockey, but such is life.

I have a 12-9 metamorphic shaft .It hasn't been used in 3-4 years . It felt too small in my hands. Never used it in a game .Shaft is 47 inches long with a 3inch plug to make it 50", some paint chips but totally solid stick . Anyone interested?

I have a 12-9 metamorphic shaft .It hasn't been used in 3-4 years . It felt too small in my hands. Never used it in a game .Shaft is 47 inches long with a 3inch plug to make it 50", some paint chips but totally solid stick . Anyone interested?

jr flex?

yes, pm sent.

I got my standard flyweight today in the mail and immediately paired it with a composite blade(Fury, yeah i know but I got it for free). Although the blade isn't amazing the shaft and blade combo are nice and amazingly light. I'm on the shelf and can't play but I was screwing around with a smart hockey ball and I really like the feel of this shaft/blade. It feels like I have nothing in my hands but I can still get a nice shot off... IDK whether it's JR's talks about the shaft but I actually feel like it takes less effort to get the shot off. I really like it!

I'm so jealous of you sportcheck messed my order up and be in next week glad to hear that you like it so far, what flex did you get?

I can't wait to get mine it sux cause I got some ice on friday and no new twig to try, oh well