Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adam91

The Week Before Tryouts

I have some questions for the week before and day of my tryouts. I'm posting the question now because I'm going to be away for a week starting on Saturday when I'm at hockey camp.

I get back on August 26 and my tryouts start on September 2. I usually stickhandle 30+mins a day, shoot around 400 pucks and workout 3-4 times a week. Should I stop doing this entirely? or could I still shoot and stickhandle? I also sometimes to sport specific training at a gym nearby should I stop doing that during the final week? What should I be eating during the few days before and the day of the tryouts? The first tryout is on the Saturday at 3pm. When should I eat my big meal? and what should I eat?(chicken+pasta?) Should I rest entirely the day before and the day of? or just stickhandle and shoot a little bit?

Thanks for the help

I thinks what you are doing is right. But I would suggest to spend more time on your stick handling. I think you are good enough on shooting since you have practiced over 400 shots. When I do tryouts, the staffs look more on your stick handling.

For the meal part, I always eat really big on breakfast, but eat way lesser on lunch. Cuz, that's what nhl players are doing(and it really helps me too). Well... It is really different for everyone. Oh! don't forget streching your body before put your gear on. (actually, it's one of my superstition. I feel better.) I hope if this helps you out! Good luck on your tryouts.!!

oh, forgot to say about working on gym. It.... ummm... well..... might help you bit. but it is more important to balance your exercise. I mean, don't just do something different immediately. If you think that you need to change in your way of practicing or exercising, you have to take time in order to fit well. I would suggest that keep whatever you are doing and have a goooooood relax time until tryouts!!

EDT: rest alot. Because I know my friend who practiced a looot and went gym, but he was not able to take the tryouts because he was in hospital. (no joke, seriously!)

Whats your tryouts like? Are they Two-a-Days or just once a day for a couple days or somethin?

If they are two-a-days then you might wana rest up. I usually like to get onto the ice once a day for a week before tryouts. then dont go one day before.

Load up on carbs all week, drink lots of fluids all week (water and orange juice), the day before tryouts don't eat a ton, have like 5 small meals during the day. Day of tryouts have a light breakfast and skip lunch.

Stick with your regular routines that you are comfortable with, and maybe even back off of them some. Keep doing your cardio exercises for stamina. If you start trying to amp up your routines you might start putting extra pressure (both mentally and physically) on yourself. The last thing you need for a tryout is extra pressure or an injury.

If you don't have what it takes now another week of practice probably won't help to much.

I think you should cut down a little on the shooting to 150-250 shots keep stickhandling the same. basically you should just cut down on what you are doing each day you get closer to your try outs then about 2 days before try outs stop get lots of sleep relax and get your energy built up for try outs. as for eating chicken and pasta is great for carbs definetely eat that as for when i would eat i would eat two hours before the try outs then sleep or relax for an hour or half an hour and then head on down to the rink.

but thats just my input do what you feel is best

good luck

Dpark...

The scouts are there looking for a kid that goes out there and gives it his all everytime,

I think what you are doing is good but personally I would stop working out like 2 days before just b/c it drains your body or important nutrience,

Don't lisen to dpark and eat a huge breakfast b/c then it just gets you bunged up and not able to skate as fast/good

Sniper... are you dumb or what?

I didn't mean "oh, you eat tons on breakfast but then, you will not able to even skate!" I emphasized that breakfast is the most important thing.

I didn't mean "oh, you eat tons on breakfast but then, you will not able to even skate!" I emphasized that breakfast is the most important thing.

You can't even pick out what clothes to wear without hearing everyone's opinion yet you ask if someone else is dumb?

You can't even pick out what clothes to wear without hearing everyone's opinion yet you ask if someone else is dumb?

sorry, I see what you mean. Also sorry for sinper

Adam... about resting on the day of your try-out. You know your body best, so follow what works to get yourself mentally and physically ready. However, my daughter has noticed she doesn't perform optimally if she has had a day of rest; and is an absolute slug if she's spent the day "resting" on the computer.

On the day of try-outs she does light activity that gets her warmed up, awake and focused. Stretching, skipping, bike riding, sometimes relaxed rollerblading. All regular activities her muscles are well used to.

I assume your try-outs are over several days. Make sure you're getting the carb replacement immediately after each try-out, or you'll notice fatigue kicking in over the week. My daughter immediately drinks orange juice and eats a banana - sometimes a bagel.

I'm going to agree with what hockeymom said. On the subject of light activity, I reccomend getting to the rink a little early and stickhandle with a smartball. That always helps me a lot.

Thanks for the fast help guys.

Would you recommend I have a snack high in carbs before the tryouts also? like a bagel or something?

For what its worth, for the actual day of the tryouts. I was listening to the Caps Report yesterday, and they had Matt Pettinger on, and he was asked to describe his game day.

He says its a skate at 10.30 am, then meal, pasta at about 12, then he relaxes/naps for a couple of hours, then snacks, he says he has a cup of coffee before the games too, gets there about 2 hours before game time, spends some time on the bike, then does his stretching routine.

Then its go time.

May not be relevant, or helpful if your tryouts start at 10 or 11 am, but thought I would post it, see if anything timewise would be useful.

Good luck

just relax and do your best when you get there...

Easier said then done.

but the book Hockey Tought has really helped.

My first tryout is 1.5hrs

just relax and do your best when you get there...

Easier said then done.

but the book Hockey Tought has really helped.

My first tryout is 1.5hrs

relaxing and being confident goes a long way in life...

Thanks for the fast help guys.

Would you recommend I have a snack high in carbs before the tryouts also? like a bagel or something?

No, a bagel is not a light snack. Can be 60 or more gms of carbs in those things. personally I don't like any food in the stomach. Try some pure fruit jucie an hr prior, but nothing acidy (GL!). The fructose is digested slower that sugar drinks. You are better off eating a big meal at least 3 hrs before, preferably 4-5 hrs. Follow this advice for most days - eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at supper! Tournaments obviously don't apply.

I'd cut off all heavy strength training, plyos, sprints, or heavy leg work a week prior. Your leg training is done; it's time for hockey! Do some longer medium intensity cardio like a one hr medium hard exercise bike ride. Do it the day before if you must, but rest if you feel like it. Cut the pucks down to 100 or less a day. You're done till you make the team, train for feel only for now. Keep the stickhandling. Stretch every day. We have a 7 stretch program to be done 4 times a day, every day, all year round. It is SOOO important for kids. more important than strength training.

Do some mental visualizations - your fav moves, corner work, 3 on 2's, whatever turns you on ;) Picture how you are going to nail those stops and starts at the end of practice when you feel like puking! Mental strength and preparation are just as important as physical. Get it on!