Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey gear exagerations

no different than other hobbies... different people have different obsessions...

some people do it with computers, always buying the latest video card or whatever.. other guys ... golf... cell phones.. cars.. clothes.. video games.. babies (parents wil know what i am talking about here)

you name it, you'll find someone with an obsession with having the latest/best/newest stuff..

we all justify it in different ways..

I'm a skate Whore, just luv em, I think it's the most important part of your equipment, everything else, I can't change...

I can tell you what every NHL player wears for skates, is that a desease?

Sounds like a challenge DJ. You up for it?

How many NHL players wear 9K pumps? I'm curious to see who decides the extra weight is worth it.

I don't know numbers like that, I know who wears what, like you know what number wich player wears, I can tell players appart from there skates...

Damn, I was hoping for some sort of confrontation like in the "Beat It" video.

[southern Twang]

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are... that there's funny.

[/southern Twang]

All the gear whores are on MSH. In the 4 rink building I work in, we have less than 10 dedicated gear whores among 500+ players. Last week we tried to name them all and there were not many. Most players here play and worry very little about new "hyped" equipment. This is metro NYC area so players come from all over.

Im guessing my uncles name came up?

Nah, the Big Bulldog usually buys from Sports Section. He is in tight with Dave so I don't feed his gear jones. He is still looking for another Easton aluminum shaft circa 1980 from Brad Park.

I love the sport section..I think I spend more time in there than anywhere else..besides the rink...ok, exageration, but you get the idea.

All the gear whores are on MSH.

Yeah. You're looking at a self-selected sample; the only people who come here are the ones who are really obsessed with hockey. :)

That said, I'm not much of a gear person. The best items I have are some Jofa 7500 shin guards and my Nike Apollo stick; other than that I'm rocking some roller hockey elbow pads, Bauer 400 shoulder pads, etc etc. :P My left glove has worn through the palm, and I repaired it with duct tape because I don't want to spend the money on them right now. Not that I wouldn't love some nice new Salming gloves, but there's just other priorities for me.

The other thing you find is that a lot of the gearheads are either young and single (and thus have lots of disposable income) or have been playing a lot, for a long time (and thus had a lot of time to build up a collection without laying out two grand a year on equipment). People like me, who aren't particularly young, aren't single, and especially have or are close to having kids, tend to have less stuff, at least in my experience.

I didn't start buying more equipment than I actually need until I began reffing. Now with all the extra $$ I've replaced some of my equipment that was probably fine but for whatever reason I thought I "needed" to have something new. It's mostly tapered off now that I've got all pretty good gear. I don't see the need for more than a couple sticks at any one point. Right now I've got 2 Synthesis shaft/blade combos. If/when one of the shafts breaks I'll replace it. The blades last me a long time because I usually only play once a week. I don't need a half a dozen OPS's taking up space in my garage.

Instead I just bought a notebook computer.... :)