Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

One90 Transition and Skate Profiling

haha, i think i should try profiling my skates

i want to move into higher end skates but the skate stiffness scares me, i have no idea how stiff i should go, since im like 5 foot 10, with size 8 ahd a half skates but om only 135 pounds.

By chance, have you been able to compare how much the rocker was moved forward? I mean, if you had access to a factory blade, compare it to yours and see what the difference was?

If your doughter's new blades are working this great, perhaps making a template and safekeeping it would be a good idea.

That's a good idea docar. Would have done that had I thought of it. I just figure I own a small piece of OldTrainerGuy's brain because he's carting around the template for me. lol

Didn't think this needed a new topic:

I am currently skating in some one90's and I am told that I have a problem with "kicking" the ice. Apparently whenever I take a stride, the front of my blade kicks the ice. My skating coach tells me that this is a problem that needs to be fixed. My question to you is should I get my skates profiled, or get some heel lifts? Also would switching to regular LS's instead of LSP's be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you'd need to switch out the LSP's. My daughter had both heel lifts and a bit of the toe ground down a bit. Profile and work on technique. It doesn't make you a better skater... but the improvements in my daughter's skating just skyrocketed once the skates were sorted out.

i want to move into higher end skates but the skate stiffness scares me, i have no idea how stiff i should go, since im like 5 foot 10, with size 8 ahd a half skates but om only 135 pounds.

as long as you can flex the boot thats no problem. so obviously different high end boots are stiffer than others, so just dont go for a vapor XXXX or rbk 9k. I am teh same size as you and skate in s15's, and i can flex the boot. and i even skip an eyelet just to get a bit more flex going.alot of it depends on skating style too, just whether you skate low to the ice or if you are a bit more straight legged. i skate low to ice and i find i get the good knee bend i need. my boss wouldnt let me buy a skate thats too stiff for me either haha

as long as you can flex the boot thats no problem. so obviously different high end boots are stiffer than others, so just dont go for a vapor XXXX or rbk 9k. I am teh same size as you and skate in s15's, and i can flex the boot. and i even skip an eyelet just to get a bit more flex going.alot of it depends on skating style too, just whether you skate low to the ice or if you are a bit more straight legged. i skate low to ice and i find i get the good knee bend i need. my boss wouldnt let me buy a skate thats too stiff for me either haha

yeah, i usually skip the top eyelet in my grafs.

the eastons are to wide for my feet, or atleast from the looks of it they would be.

This season was kind of gay because my feet were growing alot i only got grade 301's and i dont really like them, they just dont feel right on my feet, and i think they may not be deep enough for me.

I know i have had heel lifts and etc done for me in the past, and the shockdocter insoles. This summer i plan on going into higher end skates than my graf 301's, or previously 502's. I've had terrible skate bight in the past too, stupid skinny weak ankles.

Do you live in edmonton?

the eastons are to wide for my feet, or atleast from the looks of it they would be.

This season was kind of gay because my feet were growing alot i only got grade 301's and i dont really like them, they just dont feel right on my feet, and i think they may not be deep enough for me.

I know i have had heel lifts and etc done for me in the past, and the shockdocter insoles. This summer i plan on going into higher end skates than my graf 301's, or previously 502's. I've had terrible skate bight in the past too, stupid skinny weak ankles.

Do you live in edmonton?

Damn you skip an eyelet in an already low cut boot? You crazy son! I'd break an ankle!

Do you live in edmonton?

Damn you skip an eyelet in an already low cut boot? You crazy son! I'd break an ankle!

I didnt this year, I did it last year cause of lacebite.

I dunno, it might be why i've always had good breakaway speed and great in open ice, my tight turns and coming out of them is so brutal though, like i can obviously tight turn,

but just not at the level i should compared to the rest of my skatingm its frustrating. I

kind of want to try a deeper hollow because i seem to slip out a bit when i try to tight

turn, even if its a shallow turn while going fast it happens, its frustrating.

I need to figure out my skates, I usually got great fits at proskate previously but the past two years i didnt get the best job done, i have no idea what happened to the guy who did it for the 4 or 5 years before that.

alright thanks for the replies. I am going to try and work it out by technique.

(I was kinda hoping someone would say switch out to LS's. I need a reason to switch them because I hate the clear holder :P )

Do you live in edmonton?

yes i do, how could you guess? rob schremp?

schrempsky

combination of hemsky and schremp?

do you go to pro skate to get your skates? if so which one do you go to?

By chance, have you been able to compare how much the rocker was moved forward? I mean, if you had access to a factory blade, compare it to yours and see what the difference was?

If your doughter's new blades are working this great, perhaps making a template and safekeeping it would be a good idea.

That's a good idea docar. Would have done that had I thought of it. I just figure I own a small piece of OldTrainerGuy's brain because he's carting around the template for me. lol

Didn't think this needed a new topic:

I am currently skating in some one90's and I am told that I have a problem with "kicking" the ice. Apparently whenever I take a stride, the front of my blade kicks the ice. My skating coach tells me that this is a problem that needs to be fixed. My question to you is should I get my skates profiled, or get some heel lifts? Also would switching to regular LS's instead of LSP's be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you'd need to switch out the LSP's. My daughter had both heel lifts and a bit of the toe ground down a bit. Profile and work on technique. It doesn't make you a better skater... but the improvements in my daughter's skating just skyrocketed once the skates were sorted out.

And to help even more...I have added http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53619364055&ref=mf

Superfeet/Shockdoctor Insoles will lift your feet a bit in the skates (Shockdoctors are a bit thicker than superfeet, thus will lift them a bit more.) This will also take up some of the volume throughout the skate, however.

Do a couple of searches and you'll find plenty of info on both.

A super-cheap alternative, and a way to test whether the insoles might work for you would be to put an old insole under your current insole inside the skates. Aftermarket insoles are pretty inexpensive though, and will do a much better job of supporting your foot

what about using just those little heel cups you can get at walmart or whatever? I have thought about trying those, but i wonder if i just put those under my heel if it would make me feel too far forward on the front of my feet? maybe i would be better off just getting some superfeet. only prob is, my lhs only carries the stock bauer insoles

EDIT:by "little heel cups" I mean something like this: http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=31

I didn't like the heel cups

I cut out a piece of thick plastic to put under my heel, felt much better. I hate soft insoles, they make it hard to skate. I use the ultra thin dr sholls insoles

After reading this I may have to profile my skates, I'll ask my friend if he knows anything about it. My supreme 70's feel too flat, they seemed to lean too far backward but after the plastic under my heel they are better

I have no clue what my radius/profile is now

Superfeet/Shockdoctor Insoles will lift your feet a bit in the skates (Shockdoctors are a bit thicker than superfeet, thus will lift them a bit more.) This will also take up some of the volume throughout the skate, however.

Do a couple of searches and you'll find plenty of info on both.

A super-cheap alternative, and a way to test whether the insoles might work for you would be to put an old insole under your current insole inside the skates. Aftermarket insoles are pretty inexpensive though, and will do a much better job of supporting your foot

what about using just those little heel cups you can get at walmart or whatever? I have thought about trying those, but i wonder if i just put those under my heel if it would make me feel too far forward on the front of my feet? maybe i would be better off just getting some superfeet. only prob is, my lhs only carries the stock bauer insoles

EDIT:by "little heel cups" I mean something like this: http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=31

I didn't like the heel cups

I cut out a piece of thick plastic to put under my heel, felt much better. I hate soft insoles, they make it hard to skate. I use the ultra thin dr sholls insoles

After reading this I may have to profile my skates, I'll ask my friend if he knows anything about it. My supreme 70's feel too flat, they seemed to lean too far forward but after the plastic under my heel they are better

I have no clue what my radius/profile is now

Superfeet are not that expensive and can be ordered online. The options suggested IMOP are very bad as they are not secure and will allow for shifting inside the boot.

A solid insole Superfeet or the other is much better an idea!

As for a profile.,...the idea behind the 70 was to be flatter so yes you may need a profile but I am wondering about skate size itself! Sounds like an issue there!

I glued the plastic to the sole, everything is secure. I skate probably 4 times a week and it works perfectly fine.

I also went up half a size so that could be it also

I said it wrong BTW

I thought they leaned too far backward