Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

One90 Transition and Skate Profiling

Well there are others out there that have benifited not only from my owrk but others that can do the same thing with other methods. Profiling is most important on all skates at all ages!

Let me ask you guys something. You talk about profiling the blade. After your first sharpening don't you loose that profile??? And as a result, start all over again?? My experience with the 190's is terrible. 4 blade replacements already. This is within a 5 month period. The boot is too stiff for me.

Someone else can deal with the more technical part of your question. The quick answer is no... as long as we have taken the skates to a good sharpener there hasn't been a problem. I would prefer to get them done by the same person each time - as that is not practical, I try to get them done by one of the people trained by OTG (and remember their name in case they screw up - LOL - but none of them have) I do try to get them past OTG every once in a while to have "the master" check them out and make sure the profile is still ok and to give MissD the real treat of an exceptional sharpening.

Once, MissD had a bad sharpening from a revered shop in town and came off the ice saying she thought they had messed up her profile. Although in the back of my mind I sort of thought she was being excessively picky, I found out where OTG would be working (he travels around to all of the National Sports in Ontario) and drove waaaay out of my way the next day to have him sharpen her skates. They WERE off (so much for my thinking she was picky) and he sorted them out.

LOL, and the last time we strayed to a different shop for convenience sake, I had JR with me to check the result...LOL

Edit: BTW: Diane (MissD) was VERY disappointed that JR couldn't sharpen her skates himself - she wanted to have her own comparison test between JR's and OTG's work.... "The King" and "The Master" sharpen off!

I know with each sharpening you are essentially removing some of the steel blade. Now having said that, wouldn't you change the profile??? How did he fit for the correct profile?? Is it determined by height and weight ?? Forward or Defense player?? Thanks.

I know with each sharpening you are essentially removing some of the steel blade. Now having said that, wouldn't you change the profile??? How did he fit for the correct profile?? Is it determined by height and weight ?? Forward or Defense player?? Thanks.

Again, I'll leave the more technical aspects for someone else to address. Generally - yes, you are removing some of the steel with each sharpening. As such, the profile can be ruined with one BAD sharpening.

I think most of how the correct profile was determined is addressed in this thread. Really - take the time to read the whole thread - I know it is long but there is a ton of information here.

But again, generally, what OTG, JR and some others do is assess your physical attributes (beyond height and weight, OTG considered the length of MissD's leg in relation to her body), the position you play as well as WHAT I CONSIDER THE MOST CRITICAL POINT... an assessment of how you skate - what your strengths, and more importantly, your challenges are.

To be able to do this, IMO, mean you need a synthesis of understanding skate profiling, skating and bio-mechanics. Unfortunately there are few people who bring all of these elements to the table.

When people ruin profiles, it is because they put too much pressure on the heels/toes, or are generally heavy-handed when they sharpen.

It is good to get your profile refreshed after 25 sharpenings or so.

Let me ask you guys something. You talk about profiling the blade. After your first sharpening don't you loose that profile??? And as a result, start all over again?? My experience with the 190's is terrible. 4 blade replacements already. This is within a 5 month period. The boot is too stiff for me.

I am willing to bet that it is your sharpener overheating the steel - I've had mine for a year now and I haven't seen steel breakage in my store when it comes to that skate. I would know too - since we don't stock it, I'd be the one who would order the replacements.

Would a profile be an asset to someone who is having trouble using all of their edges properly?

I find my Right Inside and Left Outside edge are fairly strong. Sharp turns, quick stops...but Left Inside and Right Outside are BRUTAL. Is it strictly something that needs practice, regardless of what radius/profile you have, or is the "wrong" setup part of my problem?

BTW...CCM Vector 6.0. Stock radius (9' or 11'? ...can't remember). Sharpened 5/8.

I would say practice and take them down a little on the sharpening still just till you get used to stopping both ways. I know i have always had that issue till I went down on the hollow.

quick question: I am pretty much an inline only player, but am looking to get ice skates to go play drop-in, and generally tool around in. Is there a default you recommend for inline guys, can you glean any info from watching someone skate on inlines, or is it try it out of the box and work from there?

If your going to go back and forth from inline to ice make sure you get a large profile like a 13ft to start.

Yah I know I am going to hear all kinds of stuff about this but when inline was huge I was doing this back in Florida. I was one of the guys that helped design the Rike Chassis which mimicked the Tuuk Holder.

Anyway because most inlines dont do that and the wheel to floor contact space is much larger than any stock skate the easisest way to get going and make it a very simple transition is to go with a longer profile on the steel and a shallower hallow say 5/8 to start.

I would say practice and take them down a little on the sharpening still just till you get used to stopping both ways. I know i have always had that issue till I went down on the hollow.

By "take them down" do you mean less or more hollow...from 5/8 to what?

Yeah...I've been practicing. :blink: It's frustrating though.

Well now with this cold snap I am not sure you will need to but I guess the next one down say 3/4? or in between......just have Derek in Hamilton do a couple passes to bring it down then try it and bring it back after your done for a small adjustment

Well now with this cold snap I am not sure you will need to but I guess the next one down say 3/4? or in between......just have Derek in Hamilton do a couple passes to bring it down then try it and bring it back after your done for a small adjustment

Can you adjust a profile based solely on what the skater tells you are the problems without seeing video or watching them skate?

I will ask him to do that next time I get them sharpened...that has become my regular place. Not gonna mess around with other places anymore. (Unless I absolutely have too).

Again, what determines the correct profile for someone??? Is it height, weight?? Forward, defense?? I would like to have this done on my skates. I would feel much more confident with my sharpener if I knew what questions he should be asking me regarding how to profile my skates. Thanks.

Well height and weight can make a diffence if you are above or below the normal weight of a person your size.

Also what kind of skate your wearing and if its fitted properly.

There are so many factors I guess they could be listed but its much easier to see the person the skates and how they fit.

also all skates come with a profile on them its finding from that stock profile works from you sometimes the stock one is the right one for the person.

If there are any doubters left out there, I would imagine this next vid showing Diane's continuing progress should dispell it. The One90 skate and the profile have most definitely given her the platform she needed to develop her skating. Her quest to "Get Good" continues.

OTG: I put together this vid of her skating to mid-January to see if you felt her profile needed to be adjusted at this point. She is also still on 1/2" hollow.

The original profile was done in August. The 2nd video was shot towards the end of September. This latest video is 3 1/2 months later ending in mid-January.

Skating to mid-January

** edit: if you are new to this thread, this link will take you to the first page where all 3 videos are posted:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...showtopic=24311

...Her quest to "Get Good" continues.

I seem to recall 3 penalties in one game...are you sure you don't mean "Quest to get GOON"

j/k

She'd skate circles around me by the look of it...she's come a long way from Vid #1

...Her quest to "Get Good" continues.

I seem to recall 3 penalties in one game...are you sure you don't mean "Quest to get GOON"

j/k

She'd skate circles around me by the look of it...she's come a long way from Vid #1

LOL .... The downside of being more agile is you are ABLE to get yourself into trouble! I believe the GOON now has the rather dubious honour of leading her team in penalty minutes.

I also have been wondering about learnig how to radius/sharpen skates/ profile.

I recently got a pair of bauer xxxx's that were Kris Drapers of the Redwings. I play center or wing. They have the standard LS2 holders and blades. I have noticed and so has other that my speed and skating balance has improved since going to this skate. I feel much more comfortable and confident on the ice.

My question is how can I find out what the profile and stuff are on these? or does anyone know how he likes his skates?

What a 9/10 is, is from the center of the working radius to the toe, it is a 9' profile. From the center to the heel, it is a 10'. It is also called a compound radius.

The Red Wings' equipment manager uses the Maximum Edge method to profile skates.

What a 9/10 is, is from the center of the working radius to the toe, it is a 9' profile. From the center to the heel, it is a 10'. It is also called a compound radius.

The Red Wings' equipment manager uses the Maximum Edge method to profile skates.

How do I tell my local rink to keep this the same? I don't want them to screw it up? Do you know what Hollow they use? 1/2 ?

Well, nobody is doing to deliberately ruin your profile.

Hollows are particular to the player, as is the profile. I don't work for the Red Wings, I don't know for sure what Boyer's giving Draper. My 9/10 was just an guesstimate...

Judging by your post, you live in Detroit. Who sharpens your skates? Where do you live?

If you shoot over to Novi, I can tell you what's doing with the profile.