Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

One90 Transition and Skate Profiling

Thought some of you might be interested in this: I videoed my daughter during an 8 skate/10 day process of transitioning into the One90’s and have ended up with an example of how much can be done with skate profiling.

She has had a hugely successful transition into the One90’s. In large part through the expert handling of OldTrainerGuy who spent more than 12 hours fitting her.

Before Profiling

We took the skates out of the box and I videoed her so OTG could see her skating issues. You’ll notice on the video she has poor balance and poor lateral mobility and although normally a FAST skater in a straight line, she’s not QUICK – especially laterally

The Profile

OTG watched the first video and added heel lifts and took a bit off the toe and then blended the heel and the toe. The skate is on a 9’ radius.

After Profiling

The very next day she hit the ice for two sessions (skate 2 and 3) and noticed an immediate difference in balance and agility. There was a huge difference between the 2nd and 3rd skate – as well as every skate thereafter.

For brevity, the video skips right to her 8th skate – a 3-on-3 “season starter†in a small rink. I’ve included two shifts uncut; her quickness and agility has improved dramatically. She’s more centered in her skates and is pivoting (something she has never managed to do before). As her game is speed and passing, she normally has a bit more trouble in the small arena because of her problems laterally.

The One90’s are the best skate she has ever worn and between them and OTG’s “magic†I think she has a solid foundation to sort out her skating issues this year.

Notes:

This was my first time with a video camera, I’m improving too!

My daughter wants you to know she got thrown out on the ice before finishing a tape job – so she had trouble with stick handling.

Web streaming takes out some bits which makes the image choppy. The result is the “bad†skating doesn’t look as choppy and the “good†doesn’t look as smooth; the quality video shows a much more dramatic change, but I think you’ll see the difference. I’ll try to upload a slightly higher quality version later.

Here's the video link:

One90 before & after video

** EDIT: to add video link of her skating over the next 3 weeks:

Next 3 weeks

** EDIT: to add video link showing her progress 3 1/2 months later, to mid-January

Skating progress next 3 1/2 months

Great vid, she looked much more comfortable on that second skate...

She's a good skater...

Tell, me, from the second pic, I can see she transitionned from a s500 Mission...

How did she feel about the boot transition?

I think there the greatest skates ever, I just can't afford them yet...

She's a good skater...

Tell, me, from the second pic, I can see she transitionned from a s500 Mission...

Thanks, her skating has been a problem - she's the most cut kid in the city because of her skating. Which is why she's been on a concentrated effort to get rid of old, bad habits and "relearn" the proper way to skate.

The old skates are actually S-W's (Mission's women's skate), she just loved the SuppleFit but needed a top end skate now - unfortunately the S500 was a bit too wide/mobile in the heel. If it had fit we would have bought them, instead we had a long search for skates.

Everything felt weird to her after the Missions. She was really worried about skate stiffness feeling "clunky" on ice. She immediately liked the One90's because, although stiff, they didn't feel like they had her foot trapped. Although they are the stiffest skate she has ever been in, she says it doesn't seem stiff because of how responsive they are.

She's a good skater...

Thanks, her skating has been a problem - she's the most cut kid in the city because of her skating. Which is why she's been on a concentrated effort to get rid of old, bad habits and "relearn" the proper way to skate.

The old skates are actually S-W's (Mission's women's skate), she just loved the SuppleFit but needed a top end skate now - unfortunately the S500 was a bit too wide/mobile in the heel. If it had fit we would have bought them, instead we had a long search for skates.

Everything felt weird to her after the Missions. She was really worried about skate stiffness feeling "clunky" on ice. She immediately liked the One90's because, although stiff, they didn't feel like they had her foot trapped. Although they are the stiffest skate she has ever been in, she says it doesn't seem stiff because of how responsive they are.

Great info, I too feel like the ankle on my S500 are a little big. I'm thinking about getting a pair, I just can't convince myself to pay 800$ for skates...

Glad to see everything is working out.

Guys - this is a lesson to you...think about this video the next time you walk into that standalone shop where they get you to write your position and weight and have you walk in bare feet and give you a "custom" radius based on that. There's no substitute for a skilled radiuser watching the person skate.

9' but it's always recommended to radius to clean up the blades. You can see that NBH lean was biting her in the first video...which is why I did the heel lifts on mine immediately.

JR, what do you guys look for when you have someone just walk in the store? I had to walk straight when I got mine profiled, but not barefoot.

If the kid is on a team at the rink, we schedule an appointment. If not, we schedule an open skate and get a free pass from the front desk.

IF the guy is technical and says he wants a 11' +1, I'll give him that. But then again most of your guys just get them because it is the "in" thing to do. Those are the ones you have to work with.

i dont think i'd ever try skates outta the box.. i ain't that brave lol.. prolly kill myself :D

but i had the same transition from t-blades back to ls2's ha.. kept fallin' on my ass, good thing it's big :ph34r:

9' but it's always recommended to radius to clean up the blades. You can see that NBH lean was biting her in the first video...which is why I did the heel lifts on mine immediately.

JR if you wanted we could start a trend here 5 bucks for what the guys should get there skates profiled at with a video showing them skating.....we could go to the hockey show for free now......LOL

If the kid is on a team at the rink, we schedule an appointment. If not, we schedule an open skate and get a free pass from the front desk.

IF the guy is technical and says he wants a 11' +1, I'll give him that. But then again most of your guys just get them because it is the "in" thing to do. Those are the ones you have to work with.

I always liked the guys who want it exactly like their old skates. Then they whip out some mangled steel banana that has about half an inch of contact with the ice, and to top it all off they want a 3/8" hollow.

Hehee, guess my question was rather ambiguous. :D

think about this video the next time you walk into that standalone shop where they get you to write your position and weight and have you walk in bare feet and give you a "custom" radius based on that.

This is what I meant when I said "walk in the store." What do those (edit) guys look for when watching a guy walk, before you decide on the profile? I walked alright, but not barefoot.

think about this video the next time you walk into that standalone shop where they get you to write your position and weight and have you walk in bare feet and give you a "custom" radius based on that.

This is what I meant when I said "walk in the store." What do those (edit) guys look for when watching a guy walk, before you decide on the profile? I walked alright, but not barefoot.

You cant see from some one walking on a floor what profile they need you have to see them skate. That is why I needed hockeymom to do the video and with just one minute of video the 2nd video was the result. Nw not saying eveyone can do this I have been doing it at the Pro level for a number of years now but there are some guys on here that can.

The best thing to do is try a couple diffrent guys out see how they feel and go from there. you will eventually find one.

9' but it's always recommended to radius to clean up the blades.  You can see that NBH lean was biting her in the first video...which is why I did the heel lifts on mine immediately.

JR if you wanted we could start a trend here 5 bucks for what the guys should get there skates profiled at with a video showing them skating.....we could go to the hockey show for free now......LOL

I would like that, but $5 is too cheap. You should charge more.

9' but it's always recommended to radius to clean up the blades.  You can see that NBH lean was biting her in the first video...which is why I did the heel lifts on mine immediately.

I would like that, but $5 is too cheap. You should charge more.

Dont forget you still have to get the profile done. now if you want to send them to me in Toronto i can charge you $50.00 including watching your video......LOL

here issues with the skates have improved, but no offense, she needs to work on her skating. Like you said, it's an issue. Her crossovers are lacking that extra push and her stride doesnt have enough extension. I just took 9 weeks of power skating and this was a small problem for me which was corrected.

Also I dont know why someone at that age/weight is wearing one90s. When guys on my team, who are 200 lbs and say they are too stiff, i can only imagine what the issue will be with other skaters out there

Yes...it was.

There are a few stores in this area who do this and they put the fancy sticker or hand-write what they have given you. The funny thing is that the guy who does the sticker in this area; all of his stickers are pre-printed 9/16" ROH 9' radius, and the guy who writes it on the holder gives everyone the exact same thing. So essentially, they are giving EVERYONE the same thing, every time, from a mite to an adult.

here issues with the skates have improved, but no offense, she needs to work on her skating. Like you said, it's an issue. Her crossovers are lacking that extra push and her stride doesnt have enough extension. I just took 9 weeks of power skating and this was a small problem for me which was corrected.

Also I dont know why someone at that age/weight is wearing one90s. When guys on my team, who are 200 lbs and say they are too stiff, i can only imagine what the issue will be with other skaters out there

Nobody said it was a finished work. I've spoken to Mary and I've been trying to wean Diane off of the deeper "training wheel" hollow she was on.

It's a jr ONE90.

If the kid is on a team at the rink, we schedule an appointment.  If not, we schedule an open skate and get a free pass from the front desk.

Alright, you got me interested. Is this something you can do at your shop now?

Also, my 9" radius, 9/16" hollow was recommended by someone out of state :)