Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muzza_77

Z-1 stick

Hey, I want to move from a woody to a composite. I will be using it just for inline (on polished floor boards and polished cement - it has to perform the best on polished cement - if it doesn't work on the floor board I can use another stick for that - it HAS to peform on the polished cement) I am looking at the Z-1 stick. Any comments? suggestions? how does the blade wear? strong? durable? can I cut the blade of and use it as a shaft?

What about an M1?

M-1 won't work, I destroyed an L-2 blade on polished cement.

Not too sure on the Z-1, I know the blade is softer and more forgiving than the M-1 and L-2. You might want to look into a tapered combo. Even if you decide to use a composite blade with it, at least you're only spending $40-50 to replace a blade as opposed to $100 or so to replace the whole thing.

I don't know if they're available where you are, but mission just released the Z-2, which runs about $130 or $140 with 2 blades. It should be on the same level as the Z-1, but you can switch blades.

Comp blades will crack eventually, but if you are willing tape it every 2-3 uses rub some candle wax on the head where it will rub against the surface. That way you minimise wear and tear on your tape and blade.

It will work fine for cement. You can always become more sensitive for feel, but durability is the big question here, because not all of us have money like Kovy here for high quality replacement blades and $600+ dollar skates. :P

The Z-1 is an OK stick for inline! I had pretty good durability out of it, I didn't tape it much because I was testing it out and wanted to see how it would last (on a smooth concrete floor). It lasted about 3 months 2-3 times a week without tape, about 3 times more durable than most other carbon blades without tape on that surface! Puck feel is, is, well different, not bad, but it just felt very different from any other blade I have tried. It was fine when I got used to it, but the stick didn't accell in that area! An OK stick all up, if you tape it consistently and wax it (bees wax is the best, kinda gets right into the tape and lasts much better than regular wax) you should get good use out of this stick!