Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

headonaswivel

Hullie not to be resigned

Old news. Hull wasn't happy in Detroit the last few months, and theres no reason to sign a player with his attitude whose pissed. Stumpy was always brought on board for one year, he was always going to retire. Devereaux is gone too.

Im glad that the wings are getting rid of Hull he did't produce this year and I heard the same stuff you guys are hearing. Now I just wish they would get rid of Chelois

It was some of detroits players who actually gave away money to sign Hull? Or am I thinking of something else.

yeah i couldnt believe that, on beyond the glory they said like 3 or 4 players gave up some money to get brett hull

Niewy wants to too? :( When Detroit went crazy in the 2002 season and signed Hull, Robitallie, and Hasek, many of the resigning Detroit players took pay cuts to pay for all of them to come. I forgot to mention that Hulls had it in with Detroit for a few years now, he was pissed that Holland signed Cujo and not Belfour.

I disagree. Cujo has been solid in Detroit. When Legace faltered in the playoffs, Cujo played amazing. He didn't play poorly in last year's playoffs either. Both years have just been defensive battles lost by Detroit.

Detroit's talent stood them in good stead over the season run where most of the teams do some coasting, but in the intensity of the playoffs, there just wasn't enough "juice" in the older legs...hence the move to some more youth.

A few "seasoned vets"/superstars is ok..but when you have too many who have won cups and been around forever, who also have a lot of personal achievement recogniton, then it's also hard for the team to "get up" for the play-offs and get that "juice" flowing.

I disagree. Cujo has been solid in Detroit. When Legace faltered in the playoffs, Cujo played amazing. He didn't play poorly in last year's playoffs either. Both years have just been defensive battles lost by Detroit.

While I agree with you about CuJo, Belfour is much more capable of stealing a game or a series.

Anyone else hear that Toronto is going to go after Shanny? I read that today in the papers and heard it somewhere else as well. I thought they brought in Fergy because he was an excellent "scout" for young talent. I hate this junk, at least if it's a shortened season the Leafs chances will be increased dramatically.

Damn it no! Shanny would be a lesser version of Roberts. I wouldn't mind him resigning with Detroit for a lot less, which is very possible, but Toronto already has an old power forward who doesn't take the body that much anymore in Roberts.

I still have faith in Nolan. I think this is his year to be on the first line with Sundin and be able to get more ice time. Things would work well if you could reverse Nolan and Roberts' roles.

You're assuming Nolan is going to be healthy. They went in to last season knowing his back was going to give out at some point and require surgery. Nolan has some skill but will his body hold up? Plus he's much more of a loose cannon than Roberts.

I really like Nolan and think he has the potential to be one of the best in the NHL if he plays a more significant role and his body holds up well. I think he's big, talented, has a mean streak and has incredible heart, however it means nothing if he's hurt. He's played for 2 playoffs in Toronto, this year he didn't play a game and two years ago he was playing through severe pain during the whole series. He's no good to Toronto if he's hurt.

He's always hurt. He takes off too many nights anymore, even when he is in the lineup and takes way more dumb penalties than Roberts. He had a couple of good years but I think he's no more than an average player anymore.

It's kind've hard to tell, he hasn't played all that much for Toronto and when he has it's basically been 3rd line duties. He does take stupid penalties, but thats basically the whole team as well. You see when he plays with an edge he is unstoppable, he's single handedly won games for the Leafs in the short time he's been here and he is a difference maker. I don't think I could ever call him average with the skills he has, but it does kind've balance out. I don't even know if I consider him a Leaf though because he is always injured, I tend to just forget about him. I think a shortened schedule (either by lockout or changes) will help him as well as the whole Leaf team.

65 GP and 19 goals and 48 points is not bad for someone who was stuck on third line duty with Tucker and I forget the center. Those are great numbers for a third liner, and knowing how Quinn rolls four lines deep, he definitely doesn't get the ice he deserves. I can't argue the injuries though, he does seem to be a big band-aid. Still, that doesn't stop him from playing the body.

He played with Stajan alot this year, and I loved it. I just don't know why Quinn didn't. As long as Quinn is in change no Leaf will have incredible numbers because they really aren't ever on the ice enough.

Sundin could easily lead the league in scoring if he'd get 5 more minutes a game, plus linemates who aren't Renberg. Thankfully the latter won't be happening this year.