Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

willy0314

Dry land training

My off ice running program is shortly going to be moving indoors for the winter. I can get myself let into the school gym basicly any time I want, so im gonna start running on the basketball court this week. Through the summer basicly what I've done is a 2 mile warm up and then up hill sprints. But i've been kinda hard pressed to come up with ideas for when I move into the gym (basekball court).

soo far i've got....

Jog Laps to warm up

sprints

body weight lunges

cross overs (scissors)

The gym work will be a monday / wensday morning thing, with on ice practice tuesday / thursday, games on the weekends. Weight room mon-thursday in the afternoon.

give me some input guys

thanks

I'd throw in some interval training in there as opposed to long distance running. Like liners. Start at baseline. Sprint to freethrow line, walk back to baseline. Sprint to top of the 3-pt arc, walk back. Sprint to half court, walk back, etc...

Depends whats in the gym.

If you have stands you can run the steps, if you have medicine balls you can do weighted squat jumps and weighted step jumps. If there are convenient benches you can do box jumps. There is plenty to do as long as we are not talking about a plain gym floor.

There is a workout on Nike/Bauer's website that has pretty good overall training.

Awe hell no!

Basically:

Sprint for as long as you can and try to go further

Work on your core and leg muscles

Work on quickfeet too.

Stretch as much as you can, even if you get odd looks from other people in the gym.

There is a workout on Nike/Bauer's website that has pretty good overall training.

Awe hell no!

Basically:

Work on quickfeet too.

Stretch as much as you can, even if you get odd looks from other people in the gym.

That's exactly what the Nike/Bauer workout is...

Awe hell no!

Basically:

Work on quickfeet too.

That's exactly what the Nike/Bauer workout is...

That workout is generally made for outdoors (I tried and it doesn't work well indoors, trust me). He's talking about a basketball court and gym here mate.

Well yeah, it is easier to do outdoors. My gym has enough space to do all the exercises. I figured a basketball court would be sufficient space. Anyway we both meant the same kind of workout.

i did plyos all summer, but I dont think that I have the time to be doing them right now (recovery wise). We play on the weekends, so my weight room leg workout generally falls on tuesdays, so I dont know when I could throw in Plyos given my schedule.

The only jogging I do is to warm up. Im getting the impression that im going to be limited to doing line sprints, lunges, bleacher stairs, and maybe some footwork drills.

i did plyos all summer, but I dont think that I have the time to be doing them right now (recovery wise). We play on the weekends, so my weight room leg workout generally falls on tuesdays, so I dont know when I could throw in Plyos given my schedule.

The only jogging I do is to warm up. Im getting the impression that im going to be limited to doing line sprints, lunges, bleacher stairs, and maybe some footwork drills.

You are on the right track if you realize you need proper recovery and limited volume for plyos. You are going to be getting a lot of work during the season. Train smart, try to maintain the gains you have made and make sure you have proper rest.

Plyometrics and more plyometrics.

That should be enough to get him overtrained and injured...

That depends on his level of conditioning/play. Last season, my teammates and I were still getting run through a few hours of plyos a week all the way through the middle of November - along with on-ice practices/games 6-7 nights a week...I was in the best shape of my life and I didn't have to deal with any injuries (major or minor) that could be attributed to being over-worked.

That depends on his level of conditioning/play. Last season, my teammates and I were still getting run through a few hours of plyos a week all the way through the middle of November - along with on-ice practices/games 6-7 nights a week...I was in the best shape of my life and I didn't have to deal with any injuries (major or minor) that could be attributed to being over-worked.

Even the best conditioned athletes limit plyo sessions to about 120 footfalls no more than 3 times a week.

the only way I could believe that is if you and your teammates have awful reflexive ability and hardly have any recovery to make after a plyometric training session.

We had been working-out together 4-7 times a week since the beginning of July. We had been pretty-well acclimated to the work...

Obviously, I'm not suggesting he go out and work like it's pre-season, and I am not saying that my teammates and I were put through such a work-out mid-season. The drills were not (and are not to be) done with the same intensity or frequency (we took a lot more time between "reps" and had about twice as many "water breaks" of considerable length) than they had been in the month(s) leading-up to the beginning of the season.

everything that I've read about plyos is that they need significant recovery time due to the intense stresses it puts on your muscles and joints. Im in pretty good shape, its just that I lift my legs on tuesdays ( squats deadlifts calves ect) and Plyos the day before (monday) or day after (wensday) most likely wouldn't be a good thing.

On a side note, I did work out in the gym today. I ran 1.5 miles to warm up, ran 5 sets of "suicides" (using the base line and lines from the vollyball court that is taped over the center of the basket ball court), did 5 reps of a foot work drill where you run sideways with your feet crossing over untill you hit center court then turn and sprint to the base line, and did 4 sets of body weight lunges down the length of the gym.

I wasn't real happy with the workout, I may increase the reps accross the board so my lungs get more work. Next week im also going to work in a drill where you have a large box with a cone in the middle. You start in the middle and sprint to each corner and then back to the cone as fast as you can, touching all 4 corners.