Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked 3s

Got the Wicked 3s today. Haven't skated in the yet, but will post more after my games this week...

First impression, they aren't that light. They're lighter than other skates, but not like OMG light. I would say they are slightly lighter than my 9500s and a little heavier than the Code1s. Nice and stiff. The tongue is very thin. Almost nothing to it. Very flexy, but I wouldn't want to get hit with a slapshot in that area. Overall, has a nicely constructed feel to it. I'm quite impressed with the quality.

because its not lighter than the 2 previous lightest skates on the market..doesn't make it heavy...

Didn't say they were heavy, I said they weren't that light. And they aren't.

So will they make their debut on Friday?

Actually debuting tomorrow, 2 games. But they will be in attendance on Friday too.

I have them on now, they feel good. That little extra bit of room in the toe box area has made them much more bareable over the 9500s.

my friend bought the wicked 3s and they are really hurting his ankles. I tried them on too and they do really dig in on the insides. I'm sure they'll be fine once they're worn in tho.

I just got a pair of Wicked 1's today and like #96 said they are definitly a high quality skate, and to say that they are stiff would be an understatement. I won't be able to skate in them until Monday but when I do I'll post up a review of some sorts. Just wearing them now I can feel the pressure that Extremo mentioned on the inside of my ankles but I'm sure this will subside once they have been broken in. The funny thing was when I first picked them up they felt extremely heavy and I was shocked.......and then I realized the spare wheels I ordered were inside the skates.

Thanks again #96, the 9's fit perfectly.

Mission skates have always had a lot of extra padding in the ankle area. (I think they used to call the material they use there "indy foam"). It forms to your ankle pretty quickly without baking, and I'm sure that it would do so almost immediately if you do bake them. My L-7's ankles formed to my foot after 3 or 4 skates without baking.

edit: After reading up on the Wicked1 on epuck, it seems they are still using indy foam in the wicked line, but it's now seamlessly attached to the boot liner.

I just got a pair of Wicked 1's today and like #96 said they are definitly a high quality skate, and to say that they are stiff would be an understatement. I won't be able to skate in them until Monday but when I do I'll post up a review of some sorts. Just wearing them now I can feel the pressure that Extremo mentioned on the inside of my ankles but I'm sure this will subside once they have been broken in. The funny thing was when I first picked them up they felt extremely heavy and I was shocked.......and then I realized the spare wheels I ordered were inside the skates.

Thanks again #96, the 9's fit perfectly.

No problem. Glad I could help.

I noticed extremely sharp pain in the ankles too. A sharp cutting pain which I never had before. No blisters after using them for 1 game. I couldn't even skate a period in the 9500s, but these I was able to keep on for a whole game. I just had to deal with ankle pain. Took some shots off them, and didn't feel a thing, so I liked that aspect a lot.

i like the fact that they have a thin tongue. when i am playing inline hockey i really bend my knees and its nice that theyre lighter than other skates because i like to do fast crossovers like i do in ice hockey.

did you bake them?

I did not bake them. I have had bad outcomes with two pairs of skates when baking, so I do the old fashioned way. Patience and time.

did you bake them?

I did not bake them. I have had bad outcomes with two pairs of skates when baking, so I do the old fashioned way. Patience and time.

So they kill your ankles? I'm hoping the wicked 5s aren't too bad. I have the Vector 10 ice skates and I can't really wear them because of ankle pain. I'll probably bust out the 7500s for the hell of it.

i don't get why you guys would accept a skate that gives you "extremely sharp pain in the ankles"? what happened to all that BS about having a good fit out of the box or have we gone back to a few years ago where they were making the skates as hard as rocks and didn't care about fit. Also if a skates breaks to fast because of baking then it shouldn't be a listed feature and they should know it. I've baked my ccm pf10 which i've had for over a year and my kors 3 times and have had no problems with either one unlike my D1s from a few years ago. Are we getting to the point where it's normal to just settle on products that we pay hundreds of dollars for?

99.5% of people bake skates correctly, have no issues...The D1's were a completely different story. We have since changed the outsole, glue, nails, and midsole to eliminate that issue.

Heat fitting eliminates most issues people have with ankle pain.

used my wicked 1's for the first time on wed night.... had em baked.... but man very stiff is and understatement...lol these things are like skating with ski boots on they are THAT stiff... no ankle pain after baked,but did get a blister...oh well.. to be expected, since the he950's felt like a pair of socks my first time out, so i guess i'm due to break'em in a lil... i'll post-up a durability review maybe after a season(once fully broken in), but as of now i don't see these things breaking down at all... may need to not lace the top eyelet, to give me more of a forward lean though... but overall after the first skate, my impressions are

boot: extremeley stiff(should be great once broken in prperly)

Chassis: will take a lil to get used to... the biggerwheels in front give yu a more "upright" stance, but again once broken in, or by not lacing the top eyelet, should solve that... Speed is good, turning radius a lil bigger but not going to hinder anything

Wheels: pp but i love rink rats soooo...

overall.. so far a lil pain, and adjustment will be welcome, if this skate lasts as long as advertised...

oh and not that it matters to me.... but i thought the he950's were a little lighter than the wicked 1's ... but i could be wrong... did'nt have them side by side...

Great so far though... thumb's up to Mission for a good skate

one question:

looks like the top eyelets of the wicked skates are angled to the front. that should probably help with forward flex / knee bend.

But if you have skinny ankles (or lower leg), wouldnt this eyelet style make the top boot wrap around your lower leg even more than in normal skates? That would work against forward flex more than it would help, because you have to flex the whole boot instead flexing through the laces. I have this problem with my S500 and have to wrap tape around my ankles. And i realized that i have this problem with my D3c, too, but these are so soft that i can easily flex the whole skate.

So would you say Mission skates are just not made for my feet?

The reason I don't bake is because I have wide feet and from my experience with baking, the skates opened up and got too wide for me. Was there an error while baking, possibly. But it's just not something I'm willing to risk anymore.

The Wickeds feel fine out of the box, aside from the sharp ankle pain. I was able to play a whole game in them though, so the pain couldn't have been that bad. I'm sure in a couple of games the pads will break in.

That said, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I know it's early, but I've had good first impressions. Great job, Justin.

I was watching a show on Discovery channel about the technology behind Lance Armstrong's team and it reminded me to comment about the stiffness. Apparently Lance loves stiff cycling shoes and they recently started using extremely stiff carbon fiber for the soles. Stiffness helps with durability when applied in the boot (not sure about the upper boot physics - maybe someone qualified could elaborate on the other advantages of a stiff boot) but also energy transfer when used on the outsole. I've always stressed on these boards that almost always the prereq for a quality skate is a a carbon fiber outsole - the material _if manufactured well enough_ is not only super strong and light, but bends with immense pressure. That allows you to efficiently expend energy much better than say a more flexible outsole like that of the HE950's.

wickeds..........

most initially uncomfortable boot i've ever put my feet into. i ended up calling mission and asked them what's up with the boot cause i could seriously not skate for more than 15 min. their answer was it takes a month to break in the skate. not quite sure about everyone else, but i kinda have games/tournaments to play and dont have a month to waste figure skating around in a $500 pair of skates.

my 2 cents............