Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troybruins89

Taking Hits..Open Ice?

i play contact

Understatement.

you seriously sayin my league isnt tough?

Yay for online bragging!

yay for me not already havin talked to lkptiger and him knowin my league

Probably the #1 thing a smaller guy should have is superior lateral agility and proportional leg strength. Think of it, lets say a 220 lb monster is bearing down on you. You should, by nature of you lower mass, be able to latterally jump out of the way with a higher leg strength/weight ratio than this big guy. Just fake one way and go the other explosively and the big guy will just look foolish. This is especially effective near the boards where the checker crashes head first at full speed into the glass. You need to develop that explosive leg strength (squats, olympic lifts, cone jumps, russian box, etc) and be crafty enough to pull it off. Also, you have to be playing headsup to see it all happening.

#2, being shorter can have a real center of gravity advantage here. If you can develop the technique, you can duck under the guy just before the hit and then stand up, sending the checker flying around 10 feet through the air.

to be honest this mite sound really cheap but meh i am a dick when i play hockey but i am the biggest guy on my team and im not that big 5;11 190 at midget AAA minor and if sumone is taking a huge run at me and is alot bigger n its open ice area if i know im gona get smoked i will just try to hip check him i dont turtle, same thing if someone my size or smaller takes a run at me i just throw my shoulder into his face. i think if your gona get hit you mite as well try to hit them. also with the hip check when a buddy is running at you it teaches them a lesson but also dont do it near the boards at all that is cheap even for me.

Don't be nice about taking the hit.  What I mean by this is, make sure it hurts to hit you.  If you see the guy coming turn into the hit and throw a shoulder into him.  If he has his hands/sticks up make sure you do the same.

Listen to this guy.

Whenever I hit somebody open ice and it hurts ME more than him.. I avoid hitting him again (unless its a clean bodycheck).

Edit:

Last year, Utah State had this little asian kid. He was fast but liked to look at the puck when he was playing it. Our wingers had a scuffle between the lines and he ended up with the puck. I started up from our blueline, lined him up and got ready to smear him. As soon as I lowered my shoulder he turned a little bit an got a dirty spear shot right below my chest pad. We both hit the ice... he got up a lot quicker than I did. I didn't mess with him too much after that.

Hey BK, who did you play for last year that took on

Utah State?

If you've already taken the hit, then next time you skate up the ice and he lines you up, stop short or do a stutter step and step around him. Of course, if this doesn't work out right you'll end up getting knocked on your ass again.

Or just elbow him in the face. Apparently that's legal because that's what guys used to do to me all the time I had them lined up and they never got thrown into the box.

Always keep your feet apart when you know someone is coming at you, that way you have a bigger mass support when you get it. (great for when you're in front of the net. I'm only 5'7 and in juniors, and I can take a huge beating in front of the net) Another is that when someone is coming at you, I tend to not brace for the hit, but I go FOR the hit (yes, against someone that is going to hit me), For example, someone is coming towards me, I tend to lower my shoulder down, and just see who's hit out hits the other.