Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrock

Which inline frame is lighter?

Which inline chassis is lighter -- the lighest metal frame (RedStar, etc.) or the "composite" plastic Tuuk Rocker chassis? I'm not talking about personal pref. here, just the weight.

Anybody know? I want a really light skate - as light as ice! (ya right)

Which inline chassis is lighter -- the lighest metal frame (RedStar, etc.) or the "composite" plastic Tuuk Rocker chassis? I'm not talking about personal pref. here, just the weight.

Anybody know? I want a really light skate - as light as ice! (ya right)

well the problem for you will be skating without any wheels..... :rolleyes:

The total weight of the wheel assemblies is probably close to the 60% of the weight of an entire ice skate. That means that the boot and chassis you choose must only weigh about 40% of the weight of your ice skates.

In the high end chassis', the 7000 aluminum chassis from Labeda or Redstar have very little too choose between them..I doubt if the difference is more than 2-3 grams.

well I'd think its 2-3 oz. not grams though..the Alloy by Redstar is the only frame that i've seen on the market..where everyone who picks it up does a doubletake...although i agree that the frame is but one component of a skate.and if weight was everything..we'd be using mini's instead of 608's..

well I'd think its 2-3 oz. not grams though..the Alloy by Redstar is the only frame that i've seen on the market..where everyone who picks it up does a doubletake...although i agree that the frame is but one component of a skate.and if weight was everything..we'd be using mini's instead of 608's..

I have about 3-4 frames of different makes just laying about..I wish I had a scale that could weigh them...I find it hard to believe that they weigh more than 3-5 ounces(per skate) though. Like 85 - 135 grams. I know the new Hum'ers weigh next to nothing, and the Nexed Stingers are heavier but not that much.

Actually I have to go over to a machine shop to pick up the Hum'ers where I had some shims made so I can mount them on a set of Nike HiHo's..I will probably be able to weigh them over there..will post it just for fun.

I've weighed quite a few chassis (A Frame, Sensor, Generator, etc.), if I remember correctly NONE of them weighed more than 140g or so. (4.9 oz.).

Your bearings alone will weigh more than your chassis EVERY time... and a set of wheels/bearings (like MDE stated) will typically weigh 60-70% of your total skate weight.

while you may be saving a little weight, I'm not sure if it's really worth it, especially when you consider the cost.

If only they could make light wheels/bearings, skates would weigh next to nothing.

i believe mission has a composite chassy. it was on the 2001 vsi's. its called the Hi-Low Generator Team CArbon.

the site is hockeygear.com/2001missionvsi.html

it'll probly be very hard to find this chassy.

also, try using a light icehockey boot and putting a mission D1c chassy on it. the d1c chassy is pretty light.

guys..i'm not disagreeing about the weight..but have either of you ever held an Alloy in your hand? It's, according to the company, about 25% or so lighter..and i realize that's likely only an ounce or 2..but its amazing at how light it feel when its actually in the hand..

believe me..i don't need ultra lite stuff..just get me something durable and in the ballpark of everything else...

you had to shim the "hum'mr frame? I thought the V12/HiHo would be recessed enough for it with their outsole..

The total weight of the wheel assemblies is probably close to the 60% of the weight of an entire ice skate. That means that the boot and chassis you choose must only weigh about 40% of the weight of your ice skates.

What % of the total weight of an inline skate do you think is just the chassis?

about 10-15%

Jim, I totally agree with what you're saying. Yes, I've actually held one myself (alloy), it was light indeed. I was just saying there are probably better things to spend your money on with a pair of skates. Like a good set of swiss bearings and good wheels...

about 10-15%

Jim, I totally agree with what you're saying. Yes, I've actually held one myself (alloy), it was light indeed. I was just saying there are probably better things to spend your money on with a pair of skates. Like a good set of swiss bearings and good wheels...

exactly, you honestly won't notice that much of a difference, go buy a cheap pair of e-frames then buy some swiss bearings and rink rats or something and you'll be better off than saving 8 grams on frames.

you had to shim the "hum'mr frame? I thought the V12/HiHo would be recessed enough for it with their outsole..

The sole will still have to be mitered out with a dremel for the second wheel to clear...like the Beemers or Blue Max, but the shims are there to make the chassis match the boot sole profile of the Hi Ho's which must be quite a bit different from the Tour Skates for which they were designed.

I do not want to distort the shape of the boot by just fixing the boot to the Hum'er chassis just "as is". My feeling is that in so doing, the structural integrity of the boot would be pretty severely compromized leading to premature failure of seams, outsole attachment etc. Plus we know the boot fit and mechanics work well, and if I were to change it as dramatically as would happen by just bolting the boot to the stock chassis, the whole feel of the skate would change. The end result will be a skate with the samer basic pitch as before, as well as the same height above the foor as the original HiHo's, so the transition should be pretty easy.

I finished mounting the chassis on the HiHo's on Saturday, and it did require quite a bit of removal of the outsole...right through the outer sole in fact. While the HiHo's already have a slight recess above the second wheel, remember that was for use with a 72mm wheel, so to mount an 80 mm wheel required quite a bit more material removal.

Time will tell if this material removal dramtically effects the integrity of the carbon fiber outsole.

Also to get the wheels properly aligned with the boot center, required that the rear heel plate be mounted very close to the inside edge of the bootsole..to where the rivets were pushing against the side of the boot itself, and may cause the bond between the boot and the outsole to fail at those points.

Between the cost of making the shims, and the amount of modification to the boot outsole, as well as the damage that may be done to the boot from the inside heel rivets being too close to the edge, I would suggest that it is not very practical to mount these Hum'er chassis on the HiHo's as an aftermarket upgrade. The same may well be true for many other boots.

I would say the best way(and cheapest) to get the Hum'er chassis, would simply be to buy the Tour Beemers or Blue Max(maybe their best skate actually)