Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cunndies

Choice of Shafts

Right, I thought that we'd taken the "Easton Cyclone Shaft" thread a bit off-topic, and that this required another thread to itself :) (Mods, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Basic story - I'm looking for a new shaft for RH just now. I currently use an old 90-ish flex Nike Quest 2 (the red one), and it's quite well worn, and will probably be my backup. But I looked in my local hockey shop over here, and the choice was limited, and really expensive (compared with Epuck.com). I'm pretty sure that even with shipping and import tax, I'd still be saving some cash, and I'd have a better choice.

So, I figured a shaft off Epuck would be the way forward. I was looking for more opinions (I've done searches, and looked at the reviews), of the Mission M-2, Easton Z-Bubble Metal Matrix, an Innovative Novius (although they don't have them in Righty's just now, which I'd need), a TPS Rubber (although apparently they're not too kind on the gloves) or pretty much anything else. Those are the main four though.

The main issues are durability (I want this to last me a good while), weight, and feel.

Thanks for any help :)

I got an Easton Typhoon to last me two years of rec level hockey along with a couple travel tournaments, it was only good for about 1.5 years though, it finally snapped in half on a slapshot. By the reading this post, I assume you are just rec level, and the Z-Bubble could last you a while at that level. I say go for it and buy that one. If you tape your stick for more grip, I say get the Z-Bubble Grip.

I play in a University league in the UK. I'm not too harsh on sticks, but I'd still like one that's pretty durable. Apparently >>>THIS<<< Z-Bubble is a newer one, grip, and with some "Metal Matrix Weave" designed to make it more durable.

That said, apparently the M-2's really strong, as is the Rubber (although I don't want it to mess up my gloves, which it can do, apparently)

zbubbles matrix thingy is a gimmick...doesn't work at all..it's just paint

out of those that you've picked, i'd go with the mission

however,

i found that my inno1100 has been extremely good to me for roller. it's a great flex, consistent and above all...super durable. I've taken quite a few major hacks with it and it has held up better than anything i've ever tried. read my review on it. another one that might not be too bad is the tps redlite if they have it

are you in canada or in the USA?

:lol:

That's the problem. I live in Scotland. Hockey gear's a bit expensive over here (composite shafts and sticks especially), and I reckon I'll save money with Epuck.

Is there anywhere you can buy an Inno1100 online? Epuck has the Novius, but only in leftys.....

I play in a University league in the UK. I'm not too harsh on sticks, but I'd still like one that's pretty durable. Apparently >>>THIS<<< Z-Bubble is a newer one, grip, and with some "Metal Matrix Weave" designed to make it more durable.

That said, apparently the M-2's really strong, as is the Rubber (although I don't want it to mess up my gloves, which it can do, apparently)

The silver weave doesn't seem to make them any more durable. The problem seems to be where they flare out to accept standard blades. Plus Epuck can't ship Easton sticks to you directly, they can only ship in the US. Any other Easton stick is better than a Z-bubble in terms of durablility, it's not an anti-Easton thing.

If you want something super durable, shafts with some kind of a top layer will be your best bet like: Tps Tricore, Rubber and just about any other shaft with Grip coating. Out of all the choices you listed I would definitly go for the Rubber. Its cheap but very good, it has a Graphite/Aramid core which is the same stuff other manufactures use in their top of the line shaft and plus there is a top layer of Rubber which cushions the shaft core and reduces the impact strength. That is gonna be one of the most durable shafts you will find but as for your gloves they will be worn out faster but that also depends on the way you play, if you move your bottom hand around a lot for differnt shots or dekes then your gloves will be worn out faster as oppose to a player that barley slides his hand down the shaft for whatever reason. The M-2 is the same as the M-1 its basicly the shaft of the M-1, its nothing too special if you want the M-2 shaft you should just get a Mission M-1 OPS then wait till the blade breaks and remove the blade and its tenion and you have a M-2. Z-Bubble I hear snaps like a twig and wahts the point of an Inno Novius if its gonna be the wrong hand.

The silver weave doesn't seem to make them any more durable. The problem seems to be where they flare out to accept standard blades. Plus Epuck can't ship Easton sticks to you directly, they can only ship in the US. Any other Easton stick is better than a Z-bubble in terms of durablility, it's not an anti-Easton thing.

Oh yeah, I never noticed that. :D

Okay, looks like it's either the M-2, Rubber, Novius (if i can get a righty), or an XN10 Red Lite.

I think I'm leaning towards the M-2 or an Inno stick, if I can get my hands on one.

personally i'd stay away from the tps rubber...i've seen quite a few break and i've broken other ppl's by me slashing their sticks...

www.thehockeyshop.com

www.hockeyandskateoutlet.com

www.peranis.net

these all carry innos

the easton ultralite isn't bad either...it has quite the reputation as being a tank

ccm vectors will also last you a very long time...they have a very good reputation

i read somewhere that easton can't ship outside the USA if you buy from a US based retailer...i dunno for sure tho

For shaft I've always liked Ultra-lites and Tricores. I'd go with a regular flex Tri-core because it is closer to the flex you were using and I felt they were a tad better on durability. They can probably be found fairly cheap online, I know they are on sale around here for fairly cheap. I also liked my rubber and it didn't hurt my palms at all, but I could understand how it would. I would like to try a Z-bubble, but don't think it'd worth the risk if you are worried about durability. Innovative shafts are nice, but I didn't find them much better compared to others. I found Inno's excelled in their blades rather than their shafts.

ccm vectors will also last you a very long time...they have a very good reputation

Actually, the Vector 110 is one of the few shafts I can get over here for a reasonable price. Any opinions?

cupolosports.com has standard novius shafts in left and right cheaper than just about anyone else.

Just out of interest, and I know the general concept behind the Novius....

If you take a lefty Novius shaft, and turn it round (so that the graphics are upside down), can it be used as a righty? Surely that would mean that the Boron Spine (or whatever it's called), would be in the right place for a right-handed shot. Is that possible?

I'm not entirely sure that I'm making sense.... :lol:

Anyway, I'm working out whether it's cheaper to go for, say, an M-2 (or an L-2, for that matter) or a Rubber off Epuck, and pay $30 shipping, plus some import tax when it gets to the UK, or to go for a Vector 110 from the website based over here. Not sure, really.... :)

cupolosports.com has standard novius shafts in left and right cheaper than just about anyone else.

If you take a lefty Novius shaft, and turn it round (so that the graphics are upside down), can it be used as a righty? Surely that would mean that the Boron Spine (or whatever it's called), would be in the right place for a right-handed shot. Is that possible?

Anyway, I'm working out whether it's cheaper to go for, say, an M-2 (or an L-2, for that matter) or a Rubber off Epuck, and pay $30 shipping, plus some import tax when it gets to the UK, or to go for a Vector 110 from the website based over here. Not sure, really.... :)

I heard ppl say that it works to flip the Novius.

Ouch 30 dollars for shipping then duty and whatever tax you have in Ukranie that just sucks maybe you should consider getting something from the Ukranian LHS.

shafts aren't as widely available there and the prices are also driven up on them so for the most part he'll be getting a better deal swallowing the extra costs and going with the shaft he wants. I've never personally used a Novius, but have heard of people doing this and they have had no difficulties.

I heard ppl say that it works to flip the Novius.

Ouch 30 dollars for shipping then duty and whatever tax you have in Ukranie that just sucks maybe you should consider getting something from the Ukranian LHS.

:lol: :lol:

UK, not the Ukraine. UK, as in United Kingdom, as in Britain....

Put it this way. I saw a TPS Rubber shaft in my LHS for £96. That's roughly $176. Extortionate, isn't it?

That same shaft would cost me $50 (US) off Epuck.com, roughly £27 (wood sticks cost about £20 over here). Even adding in the shipping cost or $30, then it's still only £43. Add in a bit of import tax, and it's still no more than £60. Which is a saving or £30, approximately. Which is about $55.

It's crazy, and depending on the shaft, I don't know if I'll always be saving money it's hard to decide. The Rubber's tempting, just 'cause it's so cheap on Epuck, and I could toss in a composite blade, and probably still be saving money. (Just out of interest, is a "Stiff" TPS shaft that much stiffer than a "Regular"? Epuck only have them in Stiff and X-Stiff)

The thought I did have, though, was that if I get it sent to some friends I have in Carolina, then they send it on to me, that would, I think, avoid import tax, as I wouldn't be importing anything, technically.

Anyhow, thanks for the responses guys, it's a great help. :)

Do you work off of the pound or Euro now? I thought the Euro was pretty close in value to USD.

It's still the pound in Britain - we haven't joined the European single currency yet, and apprently £1 is about $1.80.

(>>>CURRENCY CONVERTER<<<)

Again, I've been trying to work it out, and it looks like the final choices are....

- CCM Vector 110 (Regular Flex). Purchased in the UK, £84. (Straight up - no import tax, or any of that stuff! :D )

- Easton Ultralite (100 flex) - Same place as the Vector. Same price, straight up.

- Mission M-2 (either 85 or 100 Flex). Purchased on Epuck.com. $90 + $30 shipping = roughly £65. However, I don't know what import tax would be levied on me. I think it'd make it roughly the same price as the Vector.

- Innovative Novius (260 - regular Flex). Purchased on Epuck.com. Again, probably around the same total price as the first two.

I'm not going to go for the Rubber, as they don't have them in the flex I like...

Any comparisons on weight, feel and durability of those four?

Thanks again, guys :)

Those are great choices in terms of durability. All of them would be solid picks but I am leaning a lil closer to the UL since it has the reputation of a tank and the CCM is not all that bad as for the Inno make sure you get the right hand or flip it so it works best for you.

When you take a slapshot, do you get a lot of flex out of your shaft? Several of us have had issues with Inno Novius shafts twisting on shots. So far the only thing I can figure is that the people who have that problem really load the stick on slappers.

I'd go with the M-2 or ultralight.