Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Easton Ultra Lite

Easton Ultralite

Background: 5'11 265lbs

Shaft: Ultralite (Green Graphics)

Test Blades: Blue Easton Ultralite, Various Easton/Bauer Wood Blades.

Initial Impression: My first impressions actually came even before I held this shaft. I have heard good things about it and one of my friends uses one of the first versions and refuses to use anything else. I thought I would give the shaft a shot and see what I was missing out on. When I first held it, I noticed that it WAS light, but not as light as my TPS xn10 redlite. I was looking for a "shooter" shaft and wanted something with a little more kick to it. This felt like what I wanted. 10/10

Weight/Balance: Honestly, I had used a Synergy OPS that was cut with a wood blade before and this felt almost exactly the same. The blade that I had used was actually taken from my old Synergy shaft (I gave the shaft to a buddy who couldn't afford a new shaft when he broke his). At the same time, I had a hard time finding a good blade for it that would help balance it out. I tired a blue ultralite blade, but wasn't satisfied. I tried a Bauer Supreme and Easton prostock but the Bauer felt too light and the Easton, too heavy. 7/10

Shooting/Passing/Stickhandling: After playing my first game with it, I found out quickly why this shaft held its reputation. It felt solid on shots and had plenty of feel while playing with the puck. I didn't notice anything special with my slapshot, but there wasn't anything wrong with it either. Passing was very nice too due to the feeling of the puck translating right up the shaft to my hands. 9/10

Durability: This is my tank stick. I use it when I play d and have no hesitations dealing out slashes or banging it around a little on the ice. It feels tough and so far doesn't even have a chip in the paint (had it since June). 10/10

Conclusion: Great shaft. I wanted a shooter stick and I got exactly what I wanted. I would suggest this shaft to somebody who wants a high/midrange shaft, but doesn't want to break the bank.

Overall: +8/10

Ultra Lite- White

Reviewer Background: 6', 155 lbs. Ice, Adult League- generally 1-2 ice times a week.

Usage before Review: 15 ice times.

Test Blade: Bauer one40, TPS woody (forget which model)

Shaft shape/flex: Flex feels right on, I've finally found something I like after using a stiff flex and a intermediate flex. The shape is a bit boxy, and bigger than the others i've used, but not by a whole lot. Felt a little different in my hands at first, but not really an issue. 9/10

Stickhandling/passing: Great feel with the wood blades I've used. It is definitely more forgiving with a wood blade and provides great feel. Being somewhat of a noob still, I feel that I've improved in this area once I've switched. 10/10

Weight/ Balance: Surprisingly light even with a wood blade and very balanced as well. Idk the exact weight, but I'd say it is under 500 grams in all. Noticeably lighter than one of the heavier OPS I use, the Vapor V2 which is around 530g...on par with the Montreal Nitro this replaces. 10/10

Shooting: Shots had a very nice pop with the shaft. My wrister and snap shots are nice with the shaft and feels better than it did when using the whippier stick that I was coming from. Can't comment on my slap shot as mine isn't that great and I hardly use it. I can tell the shaft loading is a bit different, but I'm not good enough to really know if using a standard has got that big of an impact. 10/10

Durability: Hear great things about the durability of this shaft BUT apparently these newer ones have no clear coat so the paint chips horridly. My stick is pretty splotchy with all the paint chips, but structurally is sound so no worries there. 8/10.

Conclusion: Very nice shaft overall. This is my first high-end standard shaft after not finding any decently priced OPSs any where. Having lots of standard blades is a plus too. I definitely like this shaft a lot and is definitely good all around, well worth the money I spent. Just disappoiting the paint chips like hell. 9.5/10

Edited by sc37

Ultra Lite- Olive green

Reviewer Background: 5'10", 200 lbs. Ice, Adult League- generally 1-2 ice times a week.

Usage before Review: About 12 ice times

Test Blade: Bauer One90

Shaft shape/flex: I'm usually an 85 flex, but the 100 flex UltraLite took a bit of an adjustment period, especially on slappers. But after a few ice sessions, I got used to the flex and feel more comfortable with it. The shaft shape feels comfortable in my hands, and while some may add tape to the shaft for a bit more grippiness, I'm happy with the textured coating for ease of manueverability without too much grip. 8/10

Stickhandling/passing: The shaft is very responsive and passing and stickhandling are a breeze, although again, the stiffer flex took a bit of an adjustment. However, if you're used to a 100 flex, then you'll be fine. 9.5/10

Weight/ Balance: Probably the lightest shaft I've ever used, coming from a pair of Bauer Endures and an Easton Synergy previously. Balance is not an issue either, and I used an end wood plug for length, but this didn't affect anything too much. 9/10

Shooting: I do feel a bit more accuracy in my wristers with this shaft over previous shafts I've owned. My slapper did not gain too much more MPH's, but I do find that when I try to rip a low slapper from the point for tip-ins, more times than not, that's what I'll get out of this shaft. Defensemen who take a lot of slappers may want to try this shaft out. 9/10

Durability: I tend to put a lot of wear on my sticks from playing D and using a lot of poke checks or clearing/tying up forwards in front of the net, and so far this shaft has held up great with just a few expected smudges and marks. It's a hockey stick, if they don't get scuffed up, you're not using it enough! 9.5/10.

Conclusion: I'd consider buying another one of these, although I do enjoy trying out new shafts and brands from time to time. I'd recommend this shaft to anyone who's looking for a well performing shaft with great durability. Defensemen in particular may want to check this shaft out. The price is not too high to scare off people interested in trying out this original gangsta staple of the Easton line. 9/10

Ultra Lite- Olive green 100 flex

Reviewer Background: 5'7", 120 lbs. Ice, Adult League or drop-ins ice 2-3 times a week.

Usage before Review: 6 months of ice, 2 years of inline on sport court

Test Blade: Easton Si core focus flex Iginla, Easton something or the other focus flex sakic.

Shaft shape/flex: I was used to the shape from having been using an Ultragrip for a few years. The flex is a bit stiff for me, but that's all the LHS had that day and I needed a stick fast. Being 120 lbs, I don't get a lot of flex on the stick. But I'd rather have stiff than a noodle. I've also cut mine down, so it's probably closer to 105.

8/10

Stickhandling/passing: I like the 100 flex for passing. I'm more of a passer anyway and this stick does what I ask in that dept. My last inline goalie said my breakout passes were some of the best he'd seen. The stick did its job in that there was no awareness of the stick at all when making those passes. Just look up and pass and the puck went where I wanted to at speeds.. slow or fast.. that I wanted. I once had a 75 flex intermediate stick and my passing with that was a joke. Passing hard felt like I was going to break the damn thing. Just that slight awareness of the stick took focus away from the game. Stickhandling is good with the ultralite but I think it's relative. 8/10

Weight/ Balance: The weight is good, but I think it's all relative when you're talking a few grams here and there. Balance is more important imho and this stick has a good balanced feel to it. Nothing like the Easton S17, but that's a different world altogether. 8/10

Shooting: When I played inline I was a D and took a lot of slapshots/snappers from the point. I usually aimed for sticks for deflections and I was pretty happy with the accuracy I was getting. For ice, I'm a forward and I'm thinking I'd like a little more flex with the heavier ice puck for wristers/snappers. 8/10

Durability: I've had this shaft for 3 years and it still looks brand new and I do not baby this thing by any means. It's probably going to become my backup but it'll be a good backup. Sort of like always knowing your spare tire is in good shape. 10/10.

Conclusion: For the money, this stick has been great. To me, the best stick is one you don't ever think about. You just go out and play knowing your stick will do what you ask of it. This stick has done that. Not bad for something that was total impulse buy. If I see an 85 flex, I'll probably pick it up just to have. Because my stick was never on my mind, I never looked for something else. But I think I'd like to venture into the OPS world. 8/10