Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Stopping on the opposite side

I did it! :D I was pretty proud of myself yesterday! I worked on it for about an hour and finally got the jist of it down. Im going back to public skate to work on it today, but I am really proud of myself! I had to rant, I was smiling the entire public skate. I would skate to one end stop, and then go to the other side again and again lol. Im sure I looked stupid, but it worked. Im going to play ice next year, and stopping on the weak side was my biggest fear. Thanks for all the advice from the other topics about this, that REALLY helped me out. I didnt think I could do it. WEll, thats it for now

And you thought this was going another "how to" topic right?

i can only ice hockey stop on my left foot. not right. no idea why. but i guess thats what i get for all the years of playing goalie growing up. i really want to be able to stop on my right. heh. guess i just need to work on it & commit to it.

i can only ice hockey stop on my left foot. not right. no idea why. but i guess thats what i get for all the years of playing goalie growing up. i really want to be able to stop on my right. heh. guess i just need to work on it & commit to it.

I got the same problem with my left foot. I can break on a dime with my right foot, but the left is very weak. Actually, i know why. I got a huge (and pretty ugly) varicose vein/varicosity on my left thigh (a bit above my hollow of the knee) and i can built enough "power" with my left leg so its pretty bumming for me. The problem is, that i can have a surgery soonest in march cause the season ends there and i wont be able to make sports for like 2 months... :|

I did it! :D I was pretty proud of myself yesterday! I worked on it for about an hour and finally got the jist of it down. Im going back to public skate to work on it today, but I am really proud of myself! I had to rant, I was smiling the entire public skate. I would skate to one end stop, and then go to the other side again and again lol. Im sure I looked stupid, but it worked. Im going to play ice next year, and stopping on the weak side was my biggest fear. Thanks for all the advice from the other topics about this, that REALLY helped me out. I didnt think I could do it. WEll, thats it for now

And you thought this was going another "how to" topic right?

Next up..

Stopping on only your outside edge.

Get your ass back to public skate boy :)

You could stop on one foot using your outside edge (with both skates), but couldn't stop on both feet with you natural stop?

The outside edge was trickiest for me. Then all of a sudden, something clicked and i was able to turn into outside edge stops. Practicing a lot of cross overs helped.

When I was learning to use my opposite food, I had great technique on my off foot, cause I didn't feel as comfortable as I did whipping into a stop on my strong side.

Yeah, I still have a lot of trouble stopping on my right foot (right inside edge, left outside edge). It just doesn't feel natural to me, at all.

Unfortunately I don't get enough non-game ice time to really practice it. I might try spending a minute or so of my pregame warmup practicing it; I feel like it's the biggest lack in my skating right now.

Anyone have any good tips? I'm kind of starting from a reverse snowplow right now since that's how I originally learned to stop on the other side.

Yeah, I still have a lot of trouble stopping on my right foot (right inside edge, left outside edge). It just doesn't feel natural to me, at all.

Unfortunately I don't get enough non-game ice time to really practice it. I might try spending a minute or so of my pregame warmup practicing it; I feel like it's the biggest lack in my skating right now.

Anyone have any good tips? I'm kind of starting from a reverse snowplow right now since that's how I originally learned to stop on the other side.

Your weak side will FADE, but will always been there. I remember back in the day thinking that I would never be able to stop or powerturn on my Left side. Once I started playing competitive hockey, I had to learn quick for practices but was surprised with how many couldn't, period. Our coach had us run left drills a lot and it really helped (just doing it over and over and over). After time, I just found myself stopping on my left side a lot more and the turn just happened one day and clicked in my head. By the time I started playing on highschool, I felt pretty good about my left side.. it just took time.

I remember in 10's hockey all the kids used to go at the left side blue line stop at like 2mph, or fast then magically slow down before jumping on their left foot.

...Then again there were the retards that just went full speed and realised they couldn't do it and fell straight on their ass.

Once you can do everything both ways it opens up your game alot more, I still see some lower league D having to pivot away from the man to turn around.

It is pretty easy once you get by the first step.

It is a lot like floating in the air:

1)pick up one foot

2)pick up the 2nd foot...no don't put the first one down.

I would imagine a tight turn would do the trick.

Now then, not to thread jack, but onto my problem. Earlier, someone skeptically addressed the statement that someone else could stop on their outside edge on one skate, but not on two feet going both ways. However, this is exactly the problem I seem to have after working on outside edge stopping yesterday for an hour. I've always been able to stop in both directions using my inside edges, but I could never use both of my skates. After yesterday, I can now stop on one leg using outside edges. But when I try to throw in two legs when stopping, it just doesn't work. I think part of the problem is that I don't bend the leg w/ the outside edge b/c I'm used to straight-legging it one-legged (if that makes any sense). You guys have any tips?

How do you even stop in roller hockey?

Not like normal hockey obviously?

You can do a hockey stop in inline, but it's hard and fairly dangerous. :) Sharp turns are safer/more reliable.

After yesterday, I can now stop on one leg using outside edges. But when I try to throw in two legs when stopping, it just doesn't work. I think part of the problem is that I don't bend the leg w/ the outside edge b/c I'm used to straight-legging it one-legged (if that makes any sense). You guys have any tips?

Try doing the one-leg stop, but throwing in a leg bend? You should be trying different leg bends anyway, as that allows you to control how fast/slow you stop (more leg bend = faster stop).

After yesterday, I can now stop on one leg using outside edges. But when I try to throw in two legs when stopping, it just doesn't work. I think part of the problem is that I don't bend the leg w/ the outside edge b/c I'm used to straight-legging it one-legged (if that makes any sense). You guys have any tips?

Try doing the one-leg stop, but throwing in a leg bend? You should be trying different leg bends anyway, as that allows you to control how fast/slow you stop (more leg bend = faster stop).

I have a drill for you to try: start the stop with on your outside edge, with that skate ahead of the other. This should pull you into a bit of a turn, at which time you skid with the inside edge skate also. Then give a good push with the inside edge skate to spread the legs, get low, and stop faster.

A shallower hollow might also help.

How do you even stop in roller hockey?

Not like normal hockey obviously?

You can do a hockey stop in inline, but it's hard and fairly dangerous. :) Sharp turns are safer/more reliable.

I do a hockey stop in roller, its really easy