Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bleedblue94

need knowledgable skate advice

Eastons are considerably wider than Vapors. You'll definitely notice a difference.

in the heel or forefoot?

i haven't tried on vapor skates in a long time but i remember my heel moving a lot in the vapors, and it locks in nicely in eastons.

Eastons are wider in both the heel and the forefoot.

can't comment on the difference between vapors and L7's as apparantly my memory of the vapor's fit isn't quite accurate - BUT, i'm currently in L7's and it does seem like a pretty narrow heel.

the thing is, in the eastons, it felt like the back of the skate "cupped" my heel nicely, where as the L7 heel is more of a "wedge" - if that makes any sense. it still locks in pretty nicely, but i'm more comfortable in the eastons...seems more anatomically correct, hah.

can't comment on the difference between vapors and L7's as apparantly my memory of the vapor's fit isn't quite accurate - BUT, i'm currently in L7's and it does seem like a pretty narrow heel.

the thing is, in the eastons, it felt like the back of the skate "cupped" my heel nicely, where as the L7 heel is more of a "wedge" - if that makes any sense. it still locks in pretty nicely, but i'm more comfortable in the eastons...seems more anatomically correct, hah.

i know exactly what youre talking about .... even though the eastons have a wider heel they do seem to hold the heel with more stability ... thats why im getting allittle confused. i know even if a certain skate has got a wider heel it can still hold the heel better then a skate with a narrow heel depending on how its designed

i just need to be sure to find a skate that will lock a heel down better then the vapor xxx's will

My L7s have a lot of padding in the ankles, and my Vapors seem to have next to none, but it may just be because they're pretty broken down. The actual width of the heel seems to be pretty close, but the missions are an EE and the bauers are a D.

The Missions also feel a bit deeper, which may make for more problems with heel slippage if you don't need a high volume skate.

My L7s have a lot of padding in the ankles, and my Vapors seem to have next to none, but it may just be because they're pretty broken down. The actual width of the heel seems to be pretty close, but the missions are an EE and the bauers are a D.

The Missions also feel a bit deeper, which may make for more problems with heel slippage if you don't need a high volume skate.

yeah i was never in love with mission ... id just love to hear feedback on if other people have had the same issue as me with the xxx's and whether or not the 9k pumps would be a wise or poor option. those are the skates im really leaning towards

well, I'll bring up the same comment about the depth on the rbks, as well as they're generally referred to as a wide fitting skate. The pump may help some, but it may be worse than the XXXs.

well, I'll bring up the same comment about the depth on the rbks, as well as they're generally referred to as a wide fitting skate. The pump may help some, but it may be worse than the XXXs.

and a comparison of each with an easton skate?

btw thanks allot everyone for the time

iirc, easton's aren't as deep. not sure about width.

to anyone whos worn both xxx's and 9ks .... how do the sizes match up? say im a 7.5 in the xxx's would i be a 7.5 in the 9ks or would it be a 7?

Well lets go back a bit.

the CCM Tack did until last year have the narrowest heel counter.

If you go with an Easton 900 say it also has a narrow heel counter.

For those that have said that the 9K wont work because its wide and the pump does nothing I totally disagree. I have a AA heel and just got mine and am coming from a Custom pair of G35's and the fit is much tighter. (with the bladder blown up of course).

I had to get custom XXX for a player on our team with a AAA heel and EE toe and they fit me perfectly and would take them if the owner would give them up.....(not going to happen...LOL).

As for the size I am a 9 mens shoe and am in a XXX 6 3/4 (perfect fit)

9K is a 6 1/2 (alittle extra room)

G35 is a 6 5/8ths (as above)

But still like the 9K best.

Your heel won't move in a Graf.

RBK's are a little wider. I was worried my heel my heel would lift when I bought my 8k's. It wasn't a problem.

what kinda heel do you have? what skates did you wear before?

I'd say I have a narrow or narrower then average heel. I was wearing Graf 703's for the past five or so years.

It's so hard to tell what will work for you without trying them on. Also look at CCM Vector's. They have a narrow heel and mid foot.

what prompted the change from graf to rbk?

Comfort. I was never really comfortable in my 703's. I had nasty lace bite, my toes always hurt after skating and me toes froze in them. Come to find out, the 703 wasn't wide enough for me and the toe box was too small. This was largely my fault though. I needed a skate with a wider forefoot. Something a little deeper too. I assumed you had sacrifice comfort for performance and dealt with it. Crazy huh.

There was a huge sale at my LHS back in Aug so I thought I would look at some skates and see if I could find something a bit more comfortable. The 8k's fit great and were only $250 US. I was and still am impressed with the performance of the skate. No more lace bite, no more sore feet, and no more ice cold toes.

Well lets go back a bit.

the CCM Tack did until last year have the narrowest heel counter.

If you go with an Easton 900 say it also has a narrow heel counter.

For those that have said that the 9K wont work because its wide and the pump does nothing I totally disagree. I have a AA heel and just got mine and am coming from a Custom pair of G35's and the fit is much tighter. (with the bladder blown up of course).

I had to get custom XXX for a player on our team with a AAA heel and EE toe and they fit me perfectly and would take them if the owner would give them up.....(not going to happen...LOL).

As for the size I am a 9 mens shoe and am in a XXX 6 3/4 (perfect fit)

9K is a 6 1/2 (alittle extra room)

G35 is a 6 5/8ths (as above)

But still like the 9K best.

Bleedblue, you've been given some really good feedback on your post. All repliers giving fair open response. Some of the guys on MSH have proven to really know their stuff, and if OTG says something IMO you can fully trust him not to be talking out of his A**. He been right on every time, take his word as law!! ;)