Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mew1838

Running Starts

Everytime I try to do running starts, I lose my balance most of the time and ended up getting my feet tangled. Are you supposed to use only the toes of the runners? Can you guys give some tips to look out for? Thanks.

I've heard both.

Instructor #1:

"Get up on your toes. If you feel like you're going to fall forward unless you keep going, you're on the right track."

Instructor #2:

"Think about lifting your knees high and stomping your feet down."

I kind of do a combo of both. But then again, my running starts are not the best out there.

It is a hard thing to learn. Some players do it naturally, most struggle to learn it, some never do!

I agree, at the very start of each burst you should feel like you are falling forward and then runlike heck on the inside of the tips of the skates for a few. You should really be lunging forward--in some of the skating schools they lay 3 sticks flat out on the ice with biggest spacing for the last stick, to insure you are using enough explosiveness.

From Robby Glantz article.

FORWARD STARTS

Techniques:

• Make sure you start with your skates directly under your body forming the letter "V" (Arrow-Tip Position) * heels together and knees turned outward * it is very important that you maintain this narrow base and diamond shape of the lower body throughout the start.

• Bend the knees 2" out over the toes of your skates (90°)

• Thrust your body forward by applying 100% of your body weight to the pushing foot's front part of the inside edge (the toe of the skate)

• Land on the front part of the inside edge on the other foot (with this skate directly under your body) and then explode off of this landing foot even further forward.

• Spring Forward, not Upward

• Attempt to have your initial 3-4 strides come from the toe part of the inside edge of your skate blade. This will give you that explosive running motion that you often see of quickest players in the NHL, such as Wayne Gretzky or Sergei Federov.

A skills instructor noticed last year that my daughter was keeping the position for the first stride and then moving more upright for the next two - which was losing the explosiveness. They held a stick over her head and had her run out the strides under it. That helped keep her in the coiled position for the 3-4 strides ad get the feel of it.

Someone else pointed out that you have to lead with your stick, and altered her take off to the other foot and a more angled start.

She doesn't have it "down" yet, but uses every opportunity in practice to "take off".

i dont do running starts, I start off facing the left or right side of the boards usually looking to the side and not in front me. Then i push off my right and i make my left go under like a cross over for 2 hops (right then left) and after i push off my right skate(like a normal stride) and i make my left leg face the other end of the rink (now its parallele with my body) and i keep pushing into a stride afterwards, i find this transition more powerfull.

(And Steve Sullivan showed me this the year of the lockout, when my dads game was cancelled [they played on the same team] because of a forfit, they had he ice for an hour and he showed me this and i gotta hand it to him my take offs are amazing now)

i find this start tremendeous in the game of hockey because when you stop, you do not stop facing the front but always to the side and if you master this technique your gonna get your stops and starts mastered. its doesnt take a PHD to teach this either just someone who does it real well. Fo example if you ever get the chance to watch the Sarnia Sting look at Mark Katic.. hes one of the best ive seen for this and hes rated in the top 15's for the NHL draft next year, plus hes from my home town so thats helps too. :D

Ahhh top, that is what I mangled trying to describe. That type of a start is actually easier to put into the game, isn't it?

It's important to be able to do both. There are situations especially for defencemen where they skate backwards, and stop then need to do a running start. Forwards need to be able to do them if they're at a glide and then need to take off to somewhere.

There are very few times I come to a full stop, mostly on the penalty kill, and that is when cross over starts are most important.

Ahhh top, that is what I mangled trying to describe. That type of a start is actually easier to put into the game, isn't it?

It's important to be able to do both. There are situations especially for defencemen where they skate backwards, and stop then need to do a running start. Forwards need to be able to do them if they're at a glide and then need to take off to somewhere.

There are very few times I come to a full stop, mostly on the penalty kill, and that is when cross over starts are most important.

Good word. Off face offs I do crossover starts usually, depending where I'm lined up I guess, but on defense after a successful poke check there are times a quick stop and running start is all that will work. B)