Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AK10R

1st post and ya it's a skate qusetion..

I would like to give a little back ground… I first started skating when I was 21 and did it for about 5 years. Took a 10 year brake (moved to Sacramento) and started back again about 4 years ago (moved back to Alaska). I'm 42 and playing city league. I skate in an aggressive style, not in my ability but I lean forward quite a bit and am one of the faster skaters in our league (hey it's old-timers).

I have always skated in Bauer skates, Supremes 1000 and the like. Fit was always great although I had nothing to compare them to.

Got a pair of Vapor XX two seasons ago, had them baked and fitted at the store. I have yet to have them fit/break-in. The hotspot is on the inside of the ankle where the tibia and fibular meet (where the bone sticks out). I have been fighting it by using double layer mole skin (the felt stuff) donut. Although it helps the area is still hurts like hell at times and sore to the touch days later. I do not over tighten my skates and have tried both with and without socks.

I have read through hours of threads here trying to figure out WTF is wrong. I can only guess it has something to do with the lack of flex forward in the skate?? The other factor is at about the time I got the XX's I went to waxed laces. I had a thought that maybe the waxed laces are somehow holding the skates from flexing???

My plan is that on Tuesday I'm going to order a pair on Mission S5000 form hockeygiant. The reason is I don't want to shell out the $425.00 for the Fuel 110 AG and the S500 (8.5D) (other choice would be EE no E) are on clearance for $200.00. I think it has the forward flex I'm thinking I need to solve my problem. I plan on ordering size 8.5 but I did see in a review here they whet with a slighter smaller size. I also saw that they seem to get a big bigger after their baked.

I have an 8.5 shoe and my XX are the 42.5 euro, the XX's could be a bit wider for my taste. I would say my arch is normal maybe a bit low and I would say my width is slightly wide to normal.

I am looking for feed back as to your thoughts about why the XX's have not worked out. Second do you think the Mission S5000 will work out for me? Thanks in advance for any input. Rich

i don't know what you're problem is but maybe you should try to get some bauer supreme 8000's 8090's or the new 70's if that's what fits you. i'm sure someone else on here will be able to help you more though.

i'm sure someone else on here will be able to help you more though.

Ya if I can get someone to read my long ass post :D

Thanks for your response......

Is the pain on the ankle bone itself or more towards the top where that thick tendon pops up when you flex your foot up and down.

I have S500's, and went to those after I was having problems with my other skates. I might be able to help out.

If you want to try to get the Vapors to work and have a good LHS in your area, you can probably get the problem area(s) punched. If it's just the one area near your ankle bone that causes discomfort, this could be an inexpensive solution. For more forward flex, you could undo the top eyelet on the skate, or even tie the last two eyelts snug, as opposed to tight. (What I usually do is forefoot snug, ankle tight, and then flex my foot upward and snug the top 3 eyelets on my skates. This allows me more mobility and forward flex in my ankles.) Both of these, however, will offer less support for your ankles.

haha, my original post was going to be longer than yours. had to chop that sucker down.

Is the pain on the ankle bone itself or more towards the top where that thick tendon pops up when you flex your foot up and down.

I have S500's, and went to those after I was having problems with my other skates. I might be able to help out.

The pain is on the bone itself (inside).

If you want to try to get the Vapors to work and have a good LHS in your area, you can probably get the problem area(s) punched. If it's just the one area near your ankle bone that causes discomfort, this could be an inexpensive solution. For more forward flex, you could undo the top eyelet on the skate, or even tie the last two eyelts snug, as opposed to tight. (What I usually do is forefoot snug, ankle tight, and then flex my foot upward and snug the top 3 eyelets on my skates. This allows me more mobility and forward flex in my ankles.) Both of these, however, will offer less support for your ankles.

haha, my original post was going to be longer than yours. had to chop that sucker down.

I read alot about LHS stores on threads here but I'm not sure what they are... I'm in Fairbanks Alaska... only two stores to choose from.

I have not tried leaving the top eyelet undone

It is the same spot on the inside on both ankles.

LHS is any Local Hockey Store. Doesn't need to be anything fancy or special, just the guys you trust with your equipment needs.

I don't think the lacing suggestions will help with the ankle bone pain, so you may still want to look into getting them punched out. Basically they use a special tool to put a bump in the skate where you're experiencing pain.

I don't know if you like or even how CCMs/RBKs fit your foot, but pumps might help you out since you can adjust the surrounding pressure around your ankle as well as the lace locks so you can vary the tightness of your laces. Just throwing it out there if you are in the market for new skates.

I don't think the lacing suggestions will help with the ankle bone pain, so you may still want to look into getting them punched out. Basically they use a special tool to put a bump in the skate where you're experiencing pain.

I think you right about the lacing not helping out. I figure I'll get those S500 for the flex. I can not tell you why I think they will work for me but I do have a good feeling about them.

Pain on both. I don't think it sounds like forward flex. Ankles pronating? Don't know if that might cause something like that. Maybe the boot might just need a little tweaking. Hopefully it's not a foot type/boot mismatch.

There are some guys here with lots of professional skate/fitting experience here who might offer you some advice.

S500's are fantastic skates (they've spoiled me), but they are quite different from other skates in my experience. They were what worked for me fit wise and skating style wise. Fit wise, they may/may not work for you, and you might not like the ankle flexibility.

With only two stores in Fairbanks, that might be tough.

Call over to UAF and see if you can speak to Randy Pommenville, their equipment manager, about possibly helping you out. He's a really good guy and who knows, might save ya some money.

With only two stores in Fairbanks, that might be tough.

Call over to UAF and see if you can speak to Randy Pommenville, their equipment manager, about possibly helping you out. He's a really good guy and who knows, might save ya some money.

I've met Randy when he use to work at Polar Ice before he went to UAF. We have a couple of common friends. The team is heading back from Anchorage tonight. We also play or Sunday games at UAF.I'll try and call next week after the long week end... Thanks

S500's are fantastic skates (they've spoiled me), but they are quite different from other skates in my experience. They were what worked for me fit wise and skating style wise. Fit wise, they may/may not work for you, and you might not like the ankle flexibility.

The mission L7's are also on clearance, but I think the flex of the S500's may help. It could be something to do with when I push off. The pain is toward the front if the bump of the ankle. I do not feel the pain unless I am actively skating or am pushing on the spots. Ahhhh f*ck I don’t know… I thought I had it figured out. Now I’m chasing my tail..

IMO 2 seasons says that these are not the skates for you.If you can find a place to punch them out, give it a try.If your LHS has them, youmight want to try on a pair of Grafs.Some models have a low cut boot(lots of forward flex). And maybe a somewhat less stiff or a deeper skate might be the answer( just brainstorming)

i had the same problem, different area. the bone below that in my foot sticks out twice as much. for me it gentic. missions killed my feet. i swiched to ccm and had them baked havent had a problem yet. I had mega micron and bauer before that. they never gave me a much of a problem once broke in. but the ccm have been the best.

Ummmm well the easist way to solve this problem is for sure get a new pair of skates but lets see what kind of feet you have because the Bauers are way to big. A 42 is an 8.5 skate and if you have an 8.5 shoe then you should be atleast a size 7 XX.

If your going Mission and your foot is wider at the front it will feel as bad or worse than your skates do now just now your toe area will be hurting. We need to focus more on the shape of your feet first before going for a certain skate and brand.

I am having a similar problem (but on the outside ankle bone). I believe it is a type of lacebite issue. I played a bit yesterday and the pain was pretty bad which affected my skating. I am punching out the area with a lacrosse ball. I only feel the pain on the bone itself, even when I wear high top/boots the slightest graze is enough to feel pain.

I hope this pain goes away...I am going to go crazy not being able to play.

Thanks everyone for your help. If I can I will post some pictures and a trace (with measurements) of my feet late tonight.

This a great site with so many of you helping out a new member with a problem.

Happy New Year…. And be safe!

Lets see what happens with these Pics...

Well that doesnot work!!!! I uploaded the to the Imagshack.net and tried a few different way to link it. I was mostly getting an URL can't post... I'll keep trying.

I'll try this way..

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9906/p1010004jy8.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4852/p1010001kn2.jpg

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/554/p1010002sn2.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/955/p1010003mf8.jpg

Will this work????

I’m sure I did that the hard way (pictures)

Now for the measurements…

From the tip of my longest toe to the back of my heel …. 10 3/16 th inches

Widest part of foot (across the ball of the foot)…. 3 3/16th inches

Widest part of heel 2 5/8th inches

From the bottom of my foot to the mid ankle bone on the inside is 3 ¼ inches (this is where the pain is).

PS sorry I forgot to shave my legs.....

I had a similar problem with my Vapour XX's. I recently had some customs done for me by EWH and they are awesome. Prior to that, I went with a lower cut 7000 and that worked well.

-dave

Looks as if you have a high arched foot.Perhaps you need a deeper skate?

Some how I think that to much of my weight is being displaced on the inside of my ankle. I need more of that weight to be displaced by the bottom of my foot.??

Superfeet and a size 7 2E XX would do the trick. Or try a 6.5 then a 7 2E in a XXX.

No matter what any of these skates that are mentioned you will need A. the right length and B. the arch support as mentioned earlier.