Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveTheWave

Boa Lacing System on Skates?

Laces have been arond forever b/c they do the job simply and beautifully. Telling someone to replace lacing systems is like telling car companies to come up with something better than wheels...

i really think that tieing your skates will work better,. but i have the boa system on my wakeoard boots and it does work well but hockey i dont think so

Guy I play with said his wife's new bra came with a BOA system and she loves it. She uses it on a snowboard as well, except she does one board at the time...

I'm so relieved to hear that because yes, my two feelings were crushed. Carry on with the alternative tying discussions now; I just need a tissue and some candy.

There has got to be something that someone can come up with which is better than laces. Laces are a thousand-year-old technology and I am sick of dealing with them. Far and away the longest part of getting ready for playing is putting on skates. I don't know if BOA is the answer, but there has to be something better than laces. Whoever comes up with it will make a mint.

Laces are great. You can adjust the amount of pressure you want at different areas of the skate, adjust how high up the boot you want to tie them (ie. tying an eyelet or two down), they're light weight, they're cheap, they're reliable, they're readily available, and practically everyone knows how to operate them. Why would you want to complicate things and add expense just to save a couple seconds?

Why would you want to complicate things and add expense just to save a couple seconds?

because it can be done, and to someone (probably on the forum) those two seconds could be otherwise spent looking at themselves in the mirror :)

Is it really such a big deal to have to tie our skate laces? It makes sense for kids' skates because they don't know how to tie their shoes yet and/or aren't strong enough to tie their skates tight enough (hence when I coached a team of 8 year old kids, their dads all had to tie their skates, and I had to do it for every kid whose dad wasn't there). An adult knows how to tie their shoes, and is strong enough to tie their skates, so this just isn't necessary. If the skates fit properly, and you know how to tie a knot, laces should be just fine.

The Boa system was a joke to the snowboard industry (speed zone is where its at) and it is to hockey. Great for cheap skates used 4 times a year for public skating but I don't think anything beats the good ole lace.

I've never used the BOA system, never even seen it actually.

I think it may take a generation starting with the kids today to get this into widespread use, but as a solution to the durability of the dial, I believe you could leave the slot on the boot and have a removable key to loosen/tighten the laces.

Of course there is the issue of losing the key, but a simple key that can be interchanged with say a flathead screwdriver might work.

I'd probably stick with laces as the price for this, especially when it first comes out will be exorbitant. For example, they now use this technology on cycling shoes, but only the $400+ cycling shoes have these laces.

yeah im sure there are loads of different ways to tighten skates, but none of them are as practical or effective as simply "lacin' 'em up"... as stated its a tradition of preparing for a hockey game

The Boa system was a joke to the snowboard industry (speed zone is where its at) and it is to hockey. Great for cheap skates used 4 times a year for public skating but I don't think anything beats the good ole lace.

how is it a joke in the snowboard industry? almost every boot company except for the "greatest of all" :rolleyes: burton has a boa boot out. even salomon has a boa boot on top of their speed lacing boots. if it was such a joke, why would companies waste their money with that bad technology? it will be more difficult in hockey because there are many things that can break the dial unless it's covered.