Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveTheWave

Boa Lacing System on Skates?

Has anyone started developing a skate with the Boa lacing system? If you don't know what it is, it's a lacing system using a knob and thin steel wires to create a consistent, lasting fit.

dunno i have only seen a couple of timbits and novice players wearing them because they cant tie their skates

Canadian Tire was advertising it heavily a year ago for their youth skates.

Isn't the problem with using something like this for skates is that people don't want consistent "lace" tightness through the whole boot?

This system is being used by Don Jackson in their high end hinge boot figure skate. It has been successful in tightening the hinge upper of the figure boot. However in some respects it is still a work in progress as it continues to evolve. We have done very well selling this boot to our elite figure skaters. As a cross-over technology for high end hockey, one slapshot or slash to the back of your boot where the plastic dial is and your boot is history. For a hockey boot it is a great idea in theory but a terrible idea in reality. I am sorry to say you will have to come up with another idea if you are thinking of early retirement.

I forgot you weren't born yet when Butch Goring was already wearing skates with velcro straps during his 80s Islanders days. Keep thinking, Edison.

I vaguely remember an adult version of the CCM Boa skate that was custom made for a one-armed hockey player who was actually quite good.

Jeez, mack didn't mean to go over the top and hurt your feelings. Its just that some 12 year old on MSH will think velcro is a good idea. Just thought I'd set the record straight. No harm, no foul.

I'm so relieved to hear that because yes, my two feelings were crushed. Carry on with the alternative tying discussions now; I just need a tissue and some candy.

I just checked out their website... www.boatechnology.com .I had heard that they have the boa system on golf shoes too. But they are also involved in a number of different sports.

My first thought of the boa system on a skate is the duribility issue of taking a puck right to the dial.

I just checked out their website... www.boatechnology.com .I had heard that they have the boa system on golf shoes too. But they are also involved in a number of different sports.

My first thought of the boa system on a skate is the duribility issue of taking a puck right to the dial.

If plastic toe caps can be made as durable as they are, I think it's possible a simple mechanical knob could be made to withstand a puck.

If plastic toe caps can be made as durable as they are, I think it's possible a simple mechanical knob could be made to withstand a puck.

toecaps don't move, are somewhat beefy and are designed to take impacts. The BOA knob is thinner plastic and has to turn/twist and is mounted on the tongue (at least on the CCM skates). I would hate to take a shot on the front of my foot/shin with one of those knobs there. And I'm not sure how you could put shin pads over them (if you wanted)

I can't see it working simply for the reason Hockeymom stated. I don't know many people who tie their skates the same way and this system seems very uniformed.