Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Harder wheels vs. softer wheels

Is there really THAT much of a difference in speed? I can feel my 76A "flex" sometimes when I skate, am i loosing a lot of speed from that? Should I move up to 78A?

I can't really tell any difference between a 76a and a 78a wheel. I have used a bunch of different durameter wheels through the years and I have found that I like grip and a smooth ride. The harder wheels may wear longer and they may be faster but I feel more in control with a softer wheel that grips.

Rick Henry

fast people are going to be fast no matter what. i'd worry about what gives you the amount of grip you really want before i worry about trading off for speed. there's always more variables in speed, like bearings & such. unless you're doing timed laps, its going to be hard to really tell.

it wouldn't hurt to try a harder wheel.

how's your grip? if you feel totally confident in your grip, i'd try a harder wheel. if you ever feel the wheels slipping, i wouldn't do it.

using too soft wheels is like underinflating your car's tires. it will take more effort to get up to speed and keep it, and you'll have an excess of grip that you'll never come close to seeing the edge of.

I am 160lbs and skate Rink Rat hotshots on sportcourt. I can definitely tell the difference between 76a and 78a's. 76a's are sluggish and require more effort throughout the game. As far as grip goes, the harder wheels feel just fine as long as they are in good condition and rotated to preserve traction life. I personally use 78a's on the outside and 80a's in the middle. I was using 78a's all around and liked the performance, but for whatever the reason I wear the inside edge of the inside two very, very fast (like 1 game).

it wouldn't hurt to try a harder wheel.

how's your grip? if you feel totally confident in your grip, i'd try a harder wheel. if you ever feel the wheels slipping, i wouldn't do it.

using too soft wheels is like underinflating your car's tires. it will take more effort to get up to speed and keep it, and you'll have an excess of grip that you'll never come close to seeing the edge of.

I am more than confident with the 76A for grip. Should I give the 78a a try?

I would recommend giving the harder wheels a try. Another bonus with a higher durometer setup, is that the wheels tend to last longer.

Im 6'1 210lbs and I use the Black and Green Rink Rat Hot Shots. They're 80As and I find them to be perfect for my front wheels.

RRHSW-S.JPG

I use Rink Rat World Cups in the back or Hyper Pro 250s.

RRWW-big.jpg

HP25W-OY.JPG

Not sure what im gonna use when I get a sprung frame, probably all World Cups, depends on how the wheels wear.

i use to use 76a's all around on sport court

switched to ice court and got 78a's (which is supposed to be backwards but o well) and i get along fine.

i feel faster now and my braking, turning, etc. is still up to par

btw im 140 lbs

yeah its awesome stuff. really fast wheels especially on the ice court. getting used to the icecourt was a bit weird but now its all natural

o btw

i got '06 hornets off epuck if that matters