Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

2004 NHL draft...

I thought that with the draft coming up, along with the promise of a lot of trades, we should just have one thread to cover all of the non-blockbuster trades. Obviously bigger trades should get their own thread, but I just thought I'd do my part to help keep this cleaned up ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=88942

St. Louis trades D Shawn Belle to Dallas for G Jason Bacashihua.

Shawn is one of, if not my favorite non-NHLers right now. I play a fair deal in Tri Cities and have managed to see him play quite a few times. One word that comes to mind with this kid is dominating. He controlled the games I watched like I'd never seen. Such a strong presence out there and a helluva skater. I'm gald because I got to meet him before he gets all famous :D, and I'm glad he got traded from St. Louis, I have a gut feeling that their organization is going to turn to shit now. In Dallas, I think he'll get more playing time because it seems like some of their free agent D aren't returning. Anyone know anything about Bacashihua?

Is there supposed to be alot of deals? I thought that alot of players are Free agents so there would be less deals, in addition not too many clubs would be looking to pick up salary.

I just meant like pick swapping and minor leaguers. I really don't think that there will be less minor dealings because prospects and younger players will still be around after next season, but its the high priced UFAs that won't get moved.

If they want a goalie, they may be able to get Lalime for a couple of the second orund pics they have.

Assuming of course the Senators sign Hasek.

It speeds up the rebuilding process and doesn't "break" a young goalie like they were forced into doing with Blackburn.

Is it just me or did Slats just seem like he really didn't know much about him during his interview?

I thought it was more he didn't care. There's no need for Blackburn and Montoya, poor decisions. Whether it was that they believe they already ruined a high ranked goalie or that they are just pushing him out.

at least they just traded up to adress some of their needs. Maybe they'll be able to wheel one of the younger goalies and get a good prospect, but I would've liked to see'em get 2 players and try and build on Blackburn. There are good goalies coming up as well.

I'm not as familiar with Lundqvist thats why I keep mentioning Blackburn. I do know how there are some solid goalies still left in the draft though. I wasn't impressed with Wolski (he was just picked) I saw him play about a half dozen times or so and tried to focus in on him as much as I could. I just don't see anything spectacular.

I just heard from a second source they may not bring Lundqvist over for at least another year if not two. Sounds like they may be writing him off as well.

As I told JR earlier, I think the lack of a transfer agreement may be causing a lot of the Euro players to slip lower than they should. Some teams have stated that they plan on milking the NHL teams for as much as they can.

There was talk that the Russian Federation wants $1M+ for the top two guys and Ovechkin's team wants $3M. That could explain Tukonen and Schwartz.

Guest 2048

Theo, I'm not in favor of Montoya either, but the draft is a crapshoot and he did great things this year. Also, Blackburn suffered nerve damage to his shoulder and Lundqvist just might not be all that great. Also, unlike all other ranger goalies (especially richter), Montoya is supposed to be a great puckhandler. Now that skill may get eliminated in the next few years, but Sather and co. were probably thinking of Brodeur with this pick. THen again, they could do that draft day show again and show us the real behind the scenes stuff, a bong and some floyd.

Damn, didn't see that when I read it the first time. Montreal probably had nothing the Senators wanted.

Thats a real good pickup for the Habs. With Perreault leaving, Bonk fills his role and then some. However if they're going to spend that much money on him, might be a sign that Kovy isn't coming back.

Detroit toke Johan Franzen I think his name is. I did a little bit of research on him and it said he is 26 years old. I this normal to draft somone that old?

Nope, occasionally there are guys who re-enter the draft because they couldn't come to an agreement with their drafting team after a set time (I think 2 years) so they are usually forced to go back into the draft. I don't see why they would have to draft a 26 year old? I would think they could've just signed him, but there are alot of little rules I am unfamiliar with.

It definately wasn't necessary for them to trash the rangers.....To be honest this draft was absolute garbage. Outside of ovechkin and malkin, there was no one. I'll admit I'm dissapointed in the Rangers draft, but at the same time I don't think they could have done much better either with the available talent. Only time will tell........

Detroit toke Johan Franzen I think his name is. I did a little bit of research on him and it said he is 26 years old. I this normal to draft somone that old?

European players must enter the draft before they can play in teh NHL, unlike North Americans who are automatically draft eligible. I believe Cechmanek was older when he was drafted as well.