Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LkptTiger

Can't Go Any Further

I'm having a very difficult time recovering from a knee injury I suffered this past summer; so much so that I no longer see advancement to (and possibly through) the Jr. A ranks a realistic goal for myself. I've been busting my ass and just don't see myself getting back to where I used to be - I'm about ready to throw-in the towel as far as my competitve "career" (wow, THAT makes me laugh a little) is concerned. When I talk about it with my buddies, I try to shrug, and even laugh, it off - but, in reality, I'm in a pretty serious bout with depression here, and I don't know where to go.

I don't really feel like I'm emotionally ready to return to competitve hockey (Junior B or C, college club, local "Juvenile" team) as a player. I guess I figure it would just be a huge reminder of the fact that the dream is over.

But I can't stay away from the game - I have so much fun at the rink, and the sport has given me so much (very long, pretty personal story) that it is still and will forever be my greatest love. I've been on the ice with a few of my old coaches' teams during practices, and really think that I might be able to get a kick out of coaching - at least until I am ready to suck-it-up and play again.

What would be the best course of action for me in becoming an assistant or associate coach for a travel team (preferably at the Bantam or Midget AA or AAA levels)? I'm hoping that I can do this for an organization or coach for whom I haven't played, as I am trying to give myself a "fresh start" of sorts. Would I want to contact the head(s) of the organizations, or the head coaches themselves? What kind of certification would I need? Would it even be possible for someone as young as myself to find such a position?

Really, I'm just looking for any way to stay involved in the game without jumping back into things before I'm ready. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

For any USAH sanctioned hockey you are required to be certified as a coach in order to participate in practice or to be on the bench. Essentially this means you can stay awake during the clinic and sign your name on a check.

Looks like you're going to have a hard time getting to a clinic this year.

http://www.usahockey.com/servlets/ListView...idField=CLIN_ID

Coaching is a great way for you to stay involved in hockey and from the sounds of your dilemma, a great next step in the game. Plenty of competitive coaches got their starts when their playing days came to an end, whether it was at 22, 30 or 40. I would get in contact with some local coaches, as well as the Heads of travel organizations and see if they need any help. To me, any AA or below organization that isn't able to fit a willing young volunteer coach who has a playing background and relatively developed skill set is doing its players an injustice, since often their coaches are older or dads who don't have an extensive playing background. Many AAA and Junior organizations have paid staff, so they will be much more selective.

Like Chad said, you may need to jump through some hoops and get a USA certification, etc. But it's worth it and it'll give you a great chance at a different experience with hockey. I would recommend working with a more experienced coach if at all possible, and see how they run things. There are so many things about the game and running a team that we didn't know/think of at 20 that only come with guidance and experience.

You can get a lot out of coaching. I think this is a wonderful idea. Granted, my knowledge is based on girls' hockey in Ontario, so for what it is worth...

Strictly by the rules, only one coach on the bench actually needs to have certification (although usually all of them have at least level 1 - and some leagues insist they all obtain it). All staff on the bench and in practices need to be insured - and that fee is paid when the team is registered in the fall. As Chadd has said, the first level of certification is essentially pay your money and show up. Even though team staff is selected about this time for next year, most certification clinics are held in the summer and fall... because it is needed before the first game in the fall.

The leagues approve the head coach, and the rest of the coaching staff is selected by the head coach. If you know where you would like to coach next year, I would start by going to the rinks now and talking to the coaching staff. The staff is usually set before April try-outs. You want to find a group of guys you can relate to or it will be a long season. You'll also want to work with a head coach who has a philosophy and approach you buy into.

You could also talk to some leagues and see where/what teams they feel there might be a need or opportunity. Unless they are really stuck, most aren't going to take a chance on someone who has never coached before as a head coach.

There is, as I understand it, more stability on teams in boys' hockey because the same unit can stay together year after year.

Not that my career even existed, but you never know what you can do.

I suffered a burst fracture in my lower back while in Iraq. The Docs thought I'd not walk again at one point. Now I've started playing with the local "I" league. I know it's not A level or anything higher, but sometimes you can recover and get back out there. Sometimes it is only enough to stay in contact with this game we love.

Please, make sure your Docs know what you want to do. Work with him/them and see what treatment or at worst limitations you need to get back out there. Then go for it. I've been feeling rather sorry for myself over the past year, Hockey has given me a goal and a reason to get active again. Believe it or not the pain in my back and general stiffeness back there is almost gone now. By myself I just could not drag myself to the gym to rehab. Hockey has compelled me to do so now.

Good luck. Talk to your Doc. He can be a great help as it's not about making your body well, your mind has to be healthy too.

Get certified to become a ref. It is a great way to stay "in the game", get paid for the job, get contacts around the area with coaches, and get exercise. I enjoyed my five years refereeing in USAHockey. I wish I started at a much younger age. I thought it was very rewarding both physically and mentally. You are always learning as a ref and the commitment to get better is never-ending. Every game you ref is your game.

Being on the ice as a coach with the youngsters is a great experience and very rewarding for both. However, are you ready to deal with the politics of coaching? I am sure you have seen it with your playing experience. The questions to ask yourself are all about the pros and cons of what you are thinking of doing.

Now, in the worst case scenario, in order to stay close to the game, you could always become a scorekeeper and run the time clock in adult league games. We pay $20 a game with doubleheaders Monday through Thursday. JK.......

Seriously, check into becoming a ref. Once you get established, you can get a lot of work.

can i ask a related question to this?

how old are most people when they start coaching? i mean most coaches who get to pro levels eventrually.

Many AAA and Junior organizations have paid staff, so they will be much more selective.

Yeah...I know...and I know that no one is going to want to pay a kid, even with my skills and smarts, when they can find someone who has been coaching for ten, fifteen or twenty some-odd years. At this point, I would be more than willing to do all of the odd-jobs around the bench and dressing room (I'm going to have a whole new appreciation for all the shit people did for me when I was playing) for nothing. I just want to be at the rink and around a team again. Hell, I'd be willing to pay the organization.

In the end, I guess I'm really just curious. I am/was a good, smart hockey player - but everyone knows that a good hockey player doesn't necessarily make a good hockey coach. I'm interested in finding-out whether I can coach the game as well as I play(ed) it.

Being on the ice as a coach with the youngsters is a great experience and very rewarding for both. However, are you ready to deal with the politics of coaching? I am sure you have seen it with your playing experience. The questions to ask yourself are all about the pros and cons of what you are thinking of doing.

Seriously, check into becoming a ref. Once you get established, you can get a lot of work.

I've thought about both of these points that you present.

1) At first, my buddy, who isn't much older than I am, and I were talking about getting together and co-coaching a house league team...but I can't stand it when people make a game that comes/came so easy to me seem so difficult, so I figured that wouldn't be such a hot idea. And, you're right, my age (or extreme lack thereof) would immediately put my credibility in question with the parents, regardless of how I play/think/coach the game. Besides, I have a serious girlfriend, so going after the younger, single mothers would be out of the question... ;) (I keed, I keed)

2) I've thought of reffing, but if there is one thing that this season I've spent in rehab has taught me, it's that I NEED a team. I really, really miss seeing my nineteen best friends every single day when I go to the rink and step into the dressing room. I miss that camaraderie. A hockey team is a group unlike that found in any other sport - it's really something special that I think most guys take for granted until they're in a situation like the one in which I find myself.

can i ask a related question to this?

how old are most people when they start coaching? i mean most coaches who get to pro levels eventrually.

No, you can't ask a related question... :angry:

Bowman was like, 23 or so when he started coaching in the Quebec Juniors - I think he started in Ottawa. Many other coaches in the Show had at least semi-prolific playing careers, so they didn't get a start on coaching until their playing days were over.

I agree that there is nothing in life like the spirit in the locker room among hockey players. The older you get, the more it will mean to you. That said, there is also a special spirit among hockey referees both on and off the ice. When you are reffing a game, the only other friend in the building is your partner. Given how much you love the game, if you try it and don't like reffing, its no loss. If you enjoy it as much as I did, you'll be glad you started so early. Just my two cents.... Good luck no matter what you do. Desire is 90% of the solution. The other 10% is perspiration.

LKPT im really glad you brought this up, because in the past few months I too have been thinking a lot about coaching. I help out with our Peewee AAA team and have a blast. The current coach was my coach as a Peewee which is why he lets me use the ice not only to help them, but to help my self as well.

I actually coach about 60% of the kids in baseball as well because my brother and them are all on the same traveling team. For me, i get a lot of joy seeing them suceed in something they struggled with before. Keep the suggestions coming, because like LKPT my ideal level would be near High school ages.

refereeing?

In the uk I coach roller hockey level 2 and ref upto level 1.. still play but sort of done the ground work if I cant ever for some reason play competitive any longer

rob