Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philatangy

ABS Blades that aren't terrible?

So lately I have been looking for a decent ABS blade to use on roll-on surfaces. I have been pretty used to playing on sport court and ice, so i have been using one piece sticks (warrior draper and easton shanahans). The only abs blades I can find at my LHS is the MS and the IW? I tried the MS, but can't get a good shot with it. It just seems to have curve, no loft. Anybody have any suggestions?

I would suggest a blade my Jofa or Reebok (the Red or Blue ones) They seem to last forever and are generally more stiff then ABS.

Yeah the rbk 1k is the brand that makes the ms and the iw. Hoping to find a little more open face angle...

Try to find an Easton Shanahan ABS. Most you will be able to find on eBay will be a few years old but they are good blades.

Just bought one of those at my local Source for Sports. It's pretty good.

I also got a Koho 2260 C21 ABS Blade, which has a pretty good rep from folks on this board. It's supposed to be similar to a Sakic, though I'm not too sure since I ordered it online. I'll report back when I pick it up from the states this week.

RBK 1Ks are pretty easy to heat and recurve. they and the koho 2260s are probably the most durable for outdoor play, but the rbk is thinner and have better feel imo.

Personally, I usually go with Easton or NBH woodies for outdoor play. When my LHS has wood blades on sale (usually around $10 a pop), i pick up a couple and curve them to my liking.

Try to find an Easton Shanahan ABS. Most you will be able to find on eBay will be a few years old but they are good blades.

Exactly what I hope to find...Is it pretty simple to heat and adjust the curve of these blades with a heat gun?

Ok so I snapped a few pics of my Montreal blade for photographic evidence. This is after rougly 36 hours of game play on a smooth concrete outdoor rink:

DSCF0786.jpg

The curve:

DSCF0783.jpg

They may be a little pricey but I garuntee they hold up better then any ABS blade on the market.

lol no. the Koho 4440 and Rbk 3K (euro version, US version is different and sucks) are better performing blades and the Rbk 3K if not both outlast the Montreal M95 blade.

This comes from a guy who plays on asphalt.

lol no. the Koho 4440 and Rbk 3K (euro version, US version is different and sucks) are better performing blades and the Rbk 3K if not both outlast the Montreal M95 blade.

This comes from a guy who plays on asphalt.

Ok post up a pic of either of those blades after 4 weeks of play. We'll see which one looks better. ;)

The best part about the Montreal blade is the fact that the bottom never cracks, most abs or other woodies get the cracks at it throws everything off. The Montreal just wears pretty much evenly for as long as you need it.

Love the Montreal blades. I was raised on Montreal model 22 HMP as a junior (before they made intermediate sticks), and love that curve. I used buy the old M9 blades by the dozen.

Of course those went in the old school Shiny Silver Easton Shaft (Gretzky model baby!). Man, I wish those hadn't cracked and become unusable.

My 2 eurocents :

"My" outdoor rink (right across the street) is of the ultra-abrasive kind. Wood isn't even an option on it. I've been testing all kind of blades, and the most durable were definitely the Montreal Nitro CMX. No longer manufactured since this season. We eat through a Koho 2260 in about a month and a half, whereas these would last for 2-3 months. The Koho 4440 are gone in a month. The CCM V6 perform well and seem to hold longer (1-2mth), but some split unexpectedly (core and outer panels separating). The RBK are poor performers imho and don't last as much as the CMX.

The Montreal Ultralight 9960 sticks have a Nitro CMX blade, last quite a long time and do perform well for inline hockey. Very light, quite cheap. Only complaint : a bit short.

CMX blade, is that the one that looks a little like the texalium blades from CCM?

Or does it look like the one on the Nitro "OPS".

The RBK's you tried... are they the Red & Blue 1k's or the 3K's from Germany(german onlinestores)?

@patrick :

About the CMX : both, they changed the design ... but the last one is this one :

CIMG0689_218.JPG

About the RBK, I can't remember which one I got, but being in France, they're probably the same as the German ones.

Yeah and they provide little to no puck feel. Thats why most ABS blades are terrible, you can't feel the puck anywhere on the blade.

I agree with this, and they also never feel stiff enough either. problem is I tear through blades...I think I will give the blade you suggested a try.

I use v40s on concrete, they hold up decently(months of use). Something like a tennis court eats them for breakfast, on something that rough they'll last a few sessions.

koho crossover hands down. The Hockey Company will continue the production of the crossover (2260) because their sales are outrageous. that's the best outdoor (abs) blade on the market. i've used that thing for about 1.5 years now for outdoor and i have my defense stick with that blade for indoor also.