Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OhMyGodImOnFire

New Skates

So I'm thinking about getting new skates. The only skates at LHS's are the Vapors and the Graf 750.

I was wondering about the durability of the Vapor. Everyboy seems to be having problems, but it's usually about the cowling, which the users assume has been fixed. I have also heard a little complaings about the boot.

I have heard only positive things about the Graf, although few people use them.

My LHS can replace cowlings, so if only the cowling on the Vapor is bad, I'll ask them to switch it to say, the RBK.

So overall, I'm asking about the durability of the Vapor, and if anybody can verify these facts?

they arent as durable of a skate as the graf is. the graf is in my opinion the most durable goal skate out there because it is the only goalie skate with an actual outsole on it where the bauer one isnt. Also since the top part of the skate on the vapor is already very soft it will work in great but if your always bent kneed thats going to create a crease in the skate ahead of schedule mkaing it buckle prematurely

they arent as durable of a skate as the graf is. the graf is in my opinion the most durable goal skate out there because it is the only goalie skate with an actual outsole on it where the bauer one isnt. Also since the top part of the skate on the vapor is already very soft it will work in great but if your always bent kneed thats going to create a crease in the skate ahead of schedule making it buckle reducing your power in your push off

"Do Not" buy the Vapor XXX goalers. Watch for a complete review coming in the review section soon.

In the meantime...

1) Cowlings are absolute crap. Mine are cracked all over the place after only 6 months of use.

2) The steel in the blades is so soft the edges literally peel off. I haven't been able to get more than 4 games between sharpenings (and that's pushing it)

But is the boot of the XXX ok? Most of the complaints I hear are about the cowling and blades (like you just said). I have heard of one person's tongue (on the skate...) having a rip about an inch long on the goaliestore board, but that's pretty much it.

ahhhh, not the elf toe!!!

btw the boot in the XXX is just fine, the cowling is what sucks. A lot of pros were/are using the XXX boot with a XX cowling.

Nothing wrong with the elf toe and, besides, the latest graf cowling doesn't even have it so you get rid of the issue that didn't exist and get the best boot, IMNSHO, as a bonus.

::m

The new cowling is available right now. If you are wanting the latest version of the boot then you would have to wait several months but the existing skate runs second to nothing on the market, as far as I'm concerned.

Nothing wrong with the elf toe and, besides, the latest graf cowling doesn't even have it so you get rid of the issue that didn't exist and get the best boot, IMNSHO, as a bonus.

never said he got the new graf boot though. And the elf toe has widely been known to be the biggest drawback of the graf goalie skates... although there are some that love it. Their skates are wonderful but depending on your style and the boot of your pads they might just not work for you.

I've had grafs for almost 5 years, and not once have I ever felt anything in the toe. Ever. I even put my skate into (kicked really hard) a metal door, and hurt my ankle. The skate was fine, as were my toes, but I was still pissed about being blown out in double digits.

As for durability, the only thing I've ever noticed between both my 650 + 750 were the acheles tendon cutout peeled. the leather came off. apart from that, haven't had a single problem...

As for the elf boot toe, it goes underneath a pad... so the only people that see it are in the dressing room. What's the big deal?

I am looking forward to the G-series goal skate too.

I've had grafs for almost 5 years, and not once have I ever felt anything in the toe. Ever. I even put my skate into (kicked really hard) a metal door, and hurt my ankle. The skate was fine, as were my toes, but I was still pissed about being blown out in double digits.

As for durability, the only thing I've ever noticed between both my 650 + 750 were the acheles tendon cutout peeled. the leather came off. apart from that, haven't had a single problem...

As for the elf boot toe, it goes underneath a pad... so the only people that see it are in the dressing room. What's the big deal?

it's not the look of the elf toe it's how it sits under the pad. Some people like it and some don't. It depends on personal preference, the pad's boot type as well as how you wear your pads. Some like it and some don't, looks have nothing to do with it.