Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vapor

iTunes PLUS

Some good news for the anti DRM crowd. For 129 you get an m4a FREE of any DRM and encoded at 256 kb/sec. You can also upgrade your entire purchased library for just .30 per song. Woot.

or you could just download unlimited DRM FREE songs for free from torrents or p2p. itunes is rediculous... why don't they just make all songs DRM free and charge less money?

No, you can still get DRM songs for 99, but if you want higher quality and the ability to move the files around, go with the buck 29.

or you could just download unlimited DRM FREE songs for free from torrents or p2p. itunes is rediculous... why don't they just make all songs DRM free and charge less money?

iTunes negotiates with the record companies to sell songs as downloads. Not all the record companies have agreed to make their inventory available as DRM free, since they believe that would cannibalize CD sales.

its illegal? Why do you pay for your hockey equiptment when you can just steal it?

How would they make a profit? A good chunk of the .99 goes to the recording industry, then some goes to pay for bandwidth. They (claim) they only make a few cents on each song.

I'm sure the songs on iTunes offer a healthy profit margin to Apple, but they had to pay licensing fees to the record labels for the rights to sell the songs. Their profits are probably nowhere near what you think they are.

I never made an opinion on their profits. I am going by what they claim they make on each song.

You and I replied at the same time. My post was in response to pat19 saying he thinks iTunes should lower their prices.

That said, just knowing what most companies shoot for in profit, I'd imagine that Apple makes a lot more than a few cents on each song -- depending how one defines "a few".