Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DasGoalie

going to pro specs

ive been wearing 12" forever now and im going to go with a new set- either V3s or Itech 12.8 (unless someone tells me why i shouldnt) and both are pro spec only. the pads dont look like theyd feel much different but the glove and blocker look like they might drive me nuts. this isnt something i can really test out first so i was wondering if anyone has any pointers or feedback.

I just switched all of my gear to the pro spec. Pad wise I did not notice any difference at all and actually feel a little quicker and more agile while scrambling around the crease. The blocker was no issue but the glove has taken me a couple of skates to get used to the size difference

Ya, it was the same for me.

The 11 inch pads are easy to get used to. I switched to 11 inch a few years ago, before the new NHL specs because only intermediate pads fit my stumpy legs. Intermediate pads are 11 inches wide, anyways, so I lucked out. But I was coming from an old school pair of retro Cooper tan pads, so the Bauer Reactors took some getting used to. My mobility improved SO much! I recently (thanks to Netminder) moved to intermediate Vaughn Velocity 1's, and my mobility improved even more.

The gloves take more time. The lack of surface area can be difficult. I'm a ball player (infielder) and have small hands, so wearing smaller gloves isn't a big deal for me. It comes naturally. But from others that I've talked to, it definitely takes time to get used to. But, eventually, it'll come.

If you're a butterfly goalie, I recommend on the V3's. They're incredible! The rotation on them is great. I'm just not too keen on the graphic.

The V3 glove/blocker is great. Especially the trapper. I tried a bunch on at Duke's. It's pretty much broken in when you get it. Great closer. There's no way that puck will drop out of the pocket once it's in there. They have a Brian's feel to them with the extended side. I think you'll like it.

Then again, I'm biased. I always pimp Vaughn. It's only fair that we get someone to pimp Itech. Where's Rick Dipietro when you need him ;)

you will let in more goals with pro-spec, that is for sure. That' why the pro's forced goalies into the smaller gear, for more goals, not so they could be more maneuverable. In any event, most of the quipment comes standard in the smaller size so the big stuff will prob be obsolete next year.

you will let in more goals with pro-spec, that is for sure. That' why the pro's forced goalies into the smaller gear, for more goals, not so they could be more maneuverable. In any event, most of the quipment comes standard in the smaller size so the big stuff will prob be obsolete next year.

actually with my new pads i find myself making more saves because i am more maneuverable and being maneuverable helps you get to the puck quicker and getting into position quicker. i also find that it mnakes the pads lighter which also helps with making saves. its all about speed

actually with my new pads i find myself making more saves because i am more maneuverable and being maneuverable helps you get to the puck quicker and getting into position quicker. i also find that it mnakes the pads lighter which also helps with making saves. its all about speed

If that's what you want to belive then more power to you. Bottom line is, smaller equipment blocks less shots, that's the reason goalies were forced to reduce equipment size, so more goals would occur. If the NHL believed that the goalies were blocking more shots because they were more maneuverable, then they would have mandated 15" pads and oversized gloves. Think about it.

lol, this is what i was hoping for BEFORE i ordered my pads. i understand what you are both saying and ive thought hard about it and i cant remember too many saves that i wouldnt have made with smaller pads. either way, im $1200 dollars in the hole now so dont start putting all these second thoughts in my head!

ah yes colors- mostly gold weave with black

well so far with my pro spec equipment i havent misssed a shit that i knew i would have saved with my old pads

woops i ment shot

lol, this is what i was hoping for BEFORE i ordered my pads. i understand what you are both saying and ive thought hard about it and i cant remember too many saves that i wouldnt have made with smaller pads. either way, im $1200 dollars in the hole now so dont start putting all these second thoughts in my head!

ah yes colors- mostly gold weave with black

You'll love those V3's. The best selling pads are V3's and PII right now. Did you do all black with the gold zig-zags? That will look nice. I just ordered all black with red zigzags.

As for saves, look at your current 12" pads, at all the black puck marks on the outer vertical roll. With the new 11" pads, those are now goals. ;)

actually, mostly gold with a little bit of black. i was gonna go with some white/black or white/black/silver but i realized those are the same colors ive always worn and the same that everyone else has so i wanted to try something new. i demoed a pair of solid gold weave V2's and hated them at first and ended up loving them so... as for the puck marks, if thats the case my guys are gonna be pissed next session...

I totally disagree. The extra mobility and less weight is fantastic and has actually improved my game. I'm letting in few goals. And, judging by the number of goalies in the NHL the last couple of seasons, your statement definitely isn't true.

DasGoalie, don't second guess yourself. You'll love your new equipment. You made an excellent purchase. A very, very wise choice. Top of the line.

ok thanks guys. i ordered a full set of custom v3's yesterday. ill get some picks up in... well...8-9 weeks :-(

Only 8-9 weeks wow. I was going to order V3's and the wait were i am is 16-18 weeks...I can't wait that long or i will change my mind.

16-18 weeks? to hell with that.id drive up there and help them sew. they said 5-6 on the glove and blocker, so hopefully i can play with those to calm me down for the remaining month

If u ask me, i think the V3 trapper doesnt feel nice on the hand, unlike the V2. BUt the t5500 pro spec trapper feels awsome. And it coems in the v3 graphic! :o

i had been trying the v2 trapper on at the pro shop when i was trying to decide on what to get and i didnt really like it. i had a hard time getting my hand in and it hurt my thumb. i dont mind the v3 trapper as much. now the blocker, ill agree with cook here. its sweet and definetly the most comfortable ive ever tried on. although i might be an old man before i ever get to know...

jesus. glove and blocker came yesterday, exactly 10 weekes afer order. they were sweet except they were the wrong color. so the countdown starts all over again...

After playing in pro spec gear, I would never again go back to the old spec stuff. So much better movement, and when you put on 12" stuff and huge gloves you feel so clunky.

My reaction has been the opposite. After playing in both I would never go pro spec unless I was forced to. Specifically, I had a shot come through a crowd in front of the net which tipped just off the outer roll of my pro spec pads which went up, over and into the net. I would have been a save with my old spec pads...