Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

78-80-72-72, is that a common set up?

Just curious, I was looking at the wheels on my chassis/skate last night, and it was 78-80-72-72.

The wheel hardness was different to, it was 76a-76a-80a-80a (80 on the smaller wheels).

Is this an unusual set up, or are there any specific advantages or disadvantages to it?

I play ice, and got these skates probably last summer, but have only been out on them twice.

I want to get out more this summer. I got these at clearance in hockeygiant, but have a boot lined up to put the chassis on.

Just wondering if I have a stupid wheel set up, should I change the wheels to a more traditional set up while I'm at it?

The "usual" chassis setup is a hi-lo setup: 80-80-72-72. Your chassis appears to be Nike's OneUp chassis, which is basically a hi-lo, but avoiding its patent. I believe with that chassis, you can put an 80mm wheel in the back to make it a more traditional setup.

As for your wheel hardness setup, that's quite bizarre. It's more common to see harder wheels in the back for more speed than in the front.

The "usual" chassis setup is a hi-lo setup: 80-80-72-72. Your chassis appears to be Nike's OneUp chassis, which is basically a hi-lo, but avoiding its patent. I believe with that chassis, you can put an 80mm wheel in the back to make it a more traditional setup.

As for your wheel hardness setup, that's quite bizarre. It's more common to see harder wheels in the back for more speed than in the front.

It is a nike chassis, from the Ignite LX.

The hardness confused me too, maybe I need to doublecheck again, but I logically thought the harder wheels would be on the back.

As I said, I've inline skated twice. There are a couple of inliners on my summer ice league, so will be able to get advice from them too, just thought I would see if it seemed odd.

Maybe I should switch out the wheels completely when I am having the chassis mounted

I actually used to prefer the harder wheels up front, as the 72s will wear out much quicker than the 80s.

Then again, I'm on a Hum'er setup now, so that's no longer an issue.

Just curious, I was looking at the wheels on my chassis/skate last night, and it was 78-80-72-72.

The wheel hardness was different to, it was 76a-76a-80a-80a (80 on the smaller wheels).

Is this an unusual set up, or are there any specific advantages or disadvantages to it?

I play ice, and got these skates probably last summer, but have only been out on them twice.

I want to get out more this summer. I got these at clearance in hockeygiant, but have a boot lined up to put the chassis on.

Just wondering if I have a stupid wheel set up, should I change the wheels to a more traditional set up while I'm at it?

Ive always used that wheel size setup, I find it easier to stop with. If i use an 80 on the back, i feel like im too far on my toes as well.

OK, looking at it now, starting from the heel to the toe

Wheel 1 = 78mm 76A hardness O

Wheel 2 = 80mm 76A hardness O

Wheel 3 = 72mm 80A hardness O

Wheel 4 = 72mm 80A hardness O

Like that, but from reading this, that does not sound like a particularly unusual set up.

I just wasn't sure if it was a normal set up that would come on stock skates

Scatman, and that adds to the thread ... how?

Smoke, It will be much easier for you to go with a standard hi-lo setup (80-80-72-72) as 78 mm wheels are hard to come by.

As it stands, you've got indoor wheels on the back and outdoor wheels on the front. What kind of surface will you be skating on?

If you're skating on an outdoor surface, chances are you'll burn through the back wheels fairly quickly (I'm also a hefty fellow, and 76a wheels or the like usually last me about 6 skates on asphalt before I chuck them. I use "indoor" wheels that I get cheap to play outdoor ) For an indoor surface, your setup will work, but the fronts may not have enough grip for you.

In other words, they'll do for now, but you may want to look into getting a new set of wheels that will match up to the surface you're playing on.

Thanks for the info DL.

I will mostly be skating outdoors, asphalt. It's primarily to enhance my skating for ice, stride and such, but once I get comfortable on the inlines, wouldn't mind playing some league too, at which stage I would probably need to invest in something better.

So for outdoors, and being a bigger guy, I should get all 80A hardness, and go to the 80-80-72-72 setup, which would be traditional.

Cheers