Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UC-CP-SF-dB

6' 4"- 285 lbs- 40 years old

There are many people that have SuperFeet wonder stories.

You could also try switching to a thick sock essentially thickening the ankle.

Have you solved your pant issue? I ended up biting the bullet and getting Tacklas in a size 60 (46-50" waist). They cost me just shy of $100 at my LHS, but I am super happy with the protection and the pants can be tightened down fairly smaller than 46" while still having the same level of protection. I tried on some XXL pairs from different brands and some didn't make it over the thighs and one or two were just a little shy of sliding all the way up. With the Tacklas I can slide them on comfortably and tighten the waist to get them from falling.

I am also a big guy who has gone through the rigors of trying to find equipment outside the spectrum of normal sizing.

Rustpot,

I have tried using thicker socks, but I have been told that that is a kinda bad thing to do....blisters etc...

He is a skinny kid with very skinny legs....think Regie Miller.....looks like he has no calf muscle.

I think I am going to try the Graff's from Hockeymonkey in a 58.....and if they don't fit...return em and go the size 60 Tackla route.

Did you have to order them from your LHS or did they stock them?

Do they cary Tackla normally? Mine does not.

Rustpot,

I have tried using thicker socks, but I have been told that that is a kinda bad thing to do....blisters etc...

He is a skinny kid with very skinny legs....think Regie Miller.....looks like he has no calf muscle.

I think I am going to try the Graff's from Hockeymonkey in a 58.....and if they don't fit...return em and go the size 60 Tackla route.

Did you have to order them from your LHS or did they stock them?

Do they cary Tackla normally? Mine does not.

I'm no skate expert, I probably shouldn't have even said anything.... :ph34r:

They're a Tackla dealer but had to order the less than popular size. Took a week or so, leading me to think Tackla keeps sets in their warehouse. What size pants do you wear? If you'd like better measurements, pictures of the protection or anything for the Tacklas, let me know. Spending $100 blindly makes one uneasy I'm sure, and I can try to help you best I can with them. I had the luxury of having my LHS be willing to keep them or send them back to Tackla if they didn't fit, not sure if a non-dealer shop has that ability or if they force you to buy.

Hey UC...,

I just wanted to reiterate what the others here have said here and that I don't think it is too late for you to pick up the game of hockey. As far as your concerns of age, don't worry, you're just a young buck at 40. In the beer-league I play in we have guys in their 60's and at one time, we had two players in their 70's still playing. Besides, you said it yourself that you are trying to get in better shape and this will definitely help. Also, you are doing this to help encourage your son as he learns to play the game as well. That's awesome! A lot of dad's wouldn't do that. Even if your son decides he doesn't want to play anymore I think if you stick with it you'll enjoy tis game for many more years to come. Good luck and ave lots of fun out there.

Hockey equipment for you and Jr. - $500

Learn to play lessons for you and Jr. - $200

Spending time on the ice with Jr. playing the greatest game on Earth - Priceless

dsc2839yn6.th.jpg

Here is a picture of my son and me skating together for the 1st time

UC - great pic! Glad to see you taking the advice of so many who have responded and following through on your instinct to get out there and play. I have a 3 1/2 year old son who (undeniably because of me) is in love with hockey. I have a pretty time-consuming job, but every chance I get I skip out and rent the ice for me and my son (local rink has weekday daytime ice for $40 / hour). It's the best father and son time. My kid takes skating lessons, but what he really loves is getting out there with dad, and coming home to tell mom he scored 23 goals. Keep working on those skills - sounds like you've got the right attitude and that's half the battle.

On a side note, is that your stick in that pic? Looks really short, unless for some reason I can't see the butt end...

Yes that is my stick that I purchased before I knew what I was doing.....too much tape and cut way to short.

I now have a Sher-wood woodie 9000 super duper carbon reinforced goal machine 8000 with the no-break option.

Update......

Dateline, Romeoville, Illinois Aug 16th 2007

My son and I went to public skate again from 1 till 3 then stayed for an hour or so of stick and puck.

The day before, I took him to our LHS to try on the S-15's again and he is rolling his ankle on those as well now....so we dicided not to get the new skates and stick with what we have and try the superfeet/orthotic route to stabilize his ankle untill he builds up some more strength.

He really is not bothered by it at all, except that he can't stop on his right foot....but that will come with practice and time. I just want him to have the best possible conditions for him to have success.

Met McD from the forums there while he was testing out his ankle after the injury....great guy! Thanks for the positive input. Maybe next wednesday you can give me some pointers on stopping.

I am really starting to gain some muscle memory regarding my stride....skated most of the time without to much of my wobbly legs....really am picking up speed and confidence.

Update......

Dateline, Romeoville, Illinois Aug 16th 2007

Met McD from the forums there while he was testing out his ankle after the injury....great guy! Thanks for the positive input. Maybe next wednesday you can give me some pointers on stopping.

I am really starting to gain some muscle memory regarding my stride....skated most of the time without to much of my wobbly legs....really am picking up speed and confidence.

It was nice to meet you guys. It's really cool that you can spend an afternoon on the ice with your son.

I'll be there on Wednesday unless I can't escape from work, possibly tomorrow also.

At 39, My 3 year old daughter and I started taking lessons and then we would skate together at public sessions. I wouldn't trade that time/memories for anything. Now my son is three and we have been taking him out to skate with us. It's been great although as I'm sure you are experiencing a little addicting. :) Regarding the stick and pucks, they can be a little harrowing with the little ones. Usually, unless there are nothing but little kids out there I keep my guys away from the goal and get a third goal out or some cones and set it against the sideboards in the neutral zone. Even a wrist shot from a lot of players can be pretty dangerous.

The best advice I ever got when learning to stop was to keep your head up (applies to a lot in hockey) and look out at the glass. When first learning, looking down at your feet or the line you are trying to stop at does nothing but help you loose your balance. A few other things are: remember a hockey stop is started like a turn so it helped me to remember if you're going to turn left your left leg/knee will be out in front of your right leg (vice-a-versa for the other direction-oh and keep a nice deep knee bend). At first try to see how far you can just skid across the ice in a hockey stop. Once you get that down you can start digging in more and stopping quicker. To get the feel of what it's like to have your skate slide sideways. You can just stand still and put most of your weight on one foot and then push your other skate sideways and get a feel for the position your foot has to be in for your inner and outer edge to skid. Another exercise is to glide on one skate and hold your other skate at an angle to your direction of travel, slowly add a little weight to it and get a feel for skidding it across the ice. Once you get the hockey stop down be sure to practice it to both sides. Everybody has one side which will be easier than the other. And don't get discouraged you'll get it figured out and then there will be plenty more to figure out like backward to forward transistion etc.. (I hope this helps)

At times I'm a little bummed I waited so long to learn but then I see some of these guys I play with who are 60+ and still going strong and I that gives me hope that I still have a few more years to play. Keep having fun with it and your son.

I actually learned to stop today!!!

Had the ice to myself today at Darien Sportsplex and I just skated from one blue line to the other over and over trying to do a one skate snowplow....all of a sudden bang...it just clicked....started shaving ice!!!!

Then the arena lost power!

I can't beleive it....I was doing great...all alone on the ice.....no distractions.....and bang....darkness.

Oh well.....I am going back tomorrow to practice more!

I actually learned to stop today!!!

Had the ice to myself today at Darien Sportsplex and I just skated from one blue line to the other over and over trying to do a one skate snowplow....all of a sudden bang...it just clicked....started shaving ice!!!!

Then the arena lost power!

I can't beleive it....I was doing great...all alone on the ice.....no distractions.....and bang....darkness.

Oh well.....I am going back tomorrow to practice more!

good to hear. now you gotta start doing it to the other side. like if your stopping facing left, now start doing it to the right. everyone has they're favorite side to turn and stop. one of the hardest things i'm finding to learn is equally being able to stop and turn on my weak side as on my strong side.

its spelled weigh. go back to school

it's is spelled with an apostrophe. stfu

why dont you two stop being douche bags and ruining the guys thread?

hes in here being stoked on hockey and telling us about his learning experiences and you two are acting like shitheads.

pick another thread? maybe a negative one.