Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Tampa Bay Lightning sold

Is this the least amount of fanfare ever to accompany an NHL team being sold. I didn't even realize they were for sale.

I guess when Mr. RIM isn't involved, there is no reason for excessive coverage.

i dont think there was a lot of fanfare because 99% of the people out there didnt know it was for sale.

whereas everyone knew pittsburgh was for sale, and everyone knows nashville is. i think thats really it.

Part of the fanfare (or lack thereof) has to do with the fact that Doug's not going to move the Lightning. We knew that moving was talked about with the Preds and the Pens, and that's why there was so much press about it.

According to the previous owners they really weren't for sale. Only time will tell how this ownership group works out but it seems like they bought the team because they believe they are contenders and want to keep it that way. I think it's more of a lateral move except that the new owners will be semi-local and that they may have more hockey knowledge/experience.

Davidson was never making money from the team - Palace Sports And Entertainment makes so much more on all of the concerts they book. Here in MI he has three venues with 10 mi of each other and they get the best acts all year round.

It was weird, it was pretty much out of the blue and was announced early yesterday as a finalized(awaiting approval) deal. Davidson was a great owner but he just wasn't making money, he has a good thing going with the Pistons. It was very smart for him to sell the team.

I wish them all the best I really do but I do have some concerns. It's not like Maclean has had a good track record as a GM, hopefully he doesn't get too involved in the hockey ops. Then you have this comment:

All three said they plan to move to the Tampa Bay area. In all, there will be about nine or 10 principal owners.

9-10 principal owners? Hard to believe they'll all be on the same page all the time. Especially since the team has never really made any money.

It seems like there are more and more of these large ownership groups (Edmonton, Nashville, now Tampa Bay). Are these investment clubs hoping the NHL turns around, are they passionate and rich fans, or a bit of both? Is this the newer NHL?

It seems like there are more and more of these large ownership groups (Edmonton, Nashville, now Tampa Bay). Are these investment clubs hoping the NHL turns around, are they passionate and rich fans, or a bit of both? Is this the newer NHL?

Unless you're in Toronto, NYC or Montreal, you aren't going to be making a huge profit every year. Franchise values aren't skyrocketing like they were in the 90's. Not to mention the number of teams that lose money every year. NHL owners have to own the building (or have a very favorable lease)and use the team as simply a tenant to really make any money in the US.

If the conditions continue as they are currently trending, I think you will see a lot of ownership groups made up of fairly wealthy hockey nuts. Ticket prices are pretty close to being maxed out in a lot of markets, yet the salary cap continues to go up. We're already at a point where the salary floor is higher than some teams can afford and I think it's going to get even worse for a few teams in a couple years.

9-10 principal owners? Hard to believe they'll all be on the same page all the time. Especially since the team has never really made any money.

foreshadowing much? good call

More details:

Companies led by Lightning suitor and real estate developer Jeff Sherrin of South Florida say in their lawsuit that California investor and Hollywood producer Oren Koules went behind their backs and advised the Lightning not to deal with Sherrin's group, killing an agreement to sell the team.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/nov/26/li...ports-lightning