Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pezboy007

Best Website for Skates

I see where you guys are coming from. My sister helps manage a rink and she spends a lot of time helping out in the pro shop. She says that at least 10 people a week come in, try on 5 different skates and then just leave. It got so bad that they started charging a 25.00 fitting fee that went to the purchase of your skates if you bought them there. I understand many shops are doing this now and have no problem with it.

I my area we have pro shops at the rink and a couple of mom and pops. The rink shops are pretty decent, one rink has much better people working there but both have good selection. Actually, it seems that each rink pretty much stocks what the other rink doesn't so it works out well. The mom and pops kill you. One is a total sports store so not only do they charge a lot, they really don't have much or anyone with any hockey knowledge. The other is a hockey store but they are crammed into a really small store so nothing is out so you have to ask for everything. Their prices aren't bad but the service sucks. The employees seem annoyed with having to deal with you beyond ringing your stuff up.

I buy a lot of stuff online when I can to save some cash but I try to support my local shops as much as I can. I get my skates done at the same place by the same guy all the time and if I can find what I need close to prices on the net, I will just get it there. The one rink shop is really cool, they don't try to rip you off and reward you for returning. I bought my skates online last year because I was saving 150.00 bucks. I called them to see how much the baking would cost and was told 30.00. When I got there the guy recognized me and said he'd do it for 20.00. It's not a big deal but its little things like this that will keep me coming back for more then just tape or a puck.

Yeah i agree that $50 is steep for it and i think that it hurts business in that department. I think $20 or so would be more fair and we may actually get more people who get it done. I have also heard of shops in our area charging a fitting fee like miserable mentioned. Nevertheless, the internet is definitely an enemy of local hockey shops.

Case and point - some dude "shopped" me for some Vapor XXs. Ended up getting blems from some online shop for $299. Comes in the shop and balks at the $15 baking fee.

I had the last laugh...I look at the skate...cosmetic blem my ass...the holder was mounted incorrectly.

Case and point - some dude "shopped" me for some Vapor XXs. Ended up getting blems from some online shop for $299. Comes in the shop and balks at the $15 baking fee.

I had the last laugh...I look at the skate...cosmetic blem my ass...the holder was mounted incorrectly.

Jr- do you charge more for sharpening a factory edge the first time?

$25.00 for the heat fit and $15.00 for the first time sharpening out here. I love it when someone comes in with a pair of Barbie Dreamhouse Figure Skates from the Sears Catalog and i get to charge them $15.00!!!

I like my local lhs there, either a bit less than internet price or there right on with them and thats before you include shipping with the net. I try to buy all my stuff from them, unless they dont have something i want. They even cut me deals on wheels sometimes. Plus they have a good selection, most sticks i have ever seen in one place and they carry lots of brands. For the most part the guys are friendly to, unless you go real late in the day cause they have these retarded kids working.

Pricewise I'm pretty lucky, there aren't really any mom and pop hockey shops around me, with the exception of the pro shops at rinks. Hockey Monkey, Hockey giant and hockey outlet are all within 20 minutes driving distance of me.

Well as my other thread stated that I just returned from my LHS (shopping for pants for my son) The owners son helped me. We tried on CCM and Mission the I asked to try some Bauers. He says that they are "not geeting any Bauer stuff this year because the prices are too high". I did a mental double take.....just like that they drop a complete line of products???? So much for selection.

He also refuses to carry any Eagle, Nike, Innovative, or montreal. But he has easton stuff coming OUT OF HIS A*&HOLE!!!!!!

Just for price comparison I asked what the mounting fee to put some t-blades on my Vapors would be. He said "$40 per skate". And NO they don't have the replacement blades. I'm curious whats going to happen when he gets his shipment of CCM with t-blades!!!!

Well as my other thread stated that I just returned from my LHS (shopping for pants for my son)  The owners son helped me.  We tried on CCM and Mission the I asked to try some Bauers.  He says that they are "not geeting any Bauer stuff this year because the prices are too high".  I did a mental double take.....just like that they drop a complete line of products????  So much for selection.

He also refuses to carry any Eagle, Nike, Innovative, or montreal.  But he has easton stuff coming OUT OF HIS A*&HOLE!!!!!! 

Just for price comparison I asked what the mounting fee to put some t-blades on my Vapors would be.  He said "$40 per skate".  And NO they don't have the replacement blades.  I'm curious whats going to happen when he gets his shipment of CCM with t-blades!!!!

Well first off, the internet will not offer you a better selection becasue you can't try it on.

The "prices to high" is just code for "we owe Bauer/Nike money and they will not ship us anything". Plus the fact that the 6000 pant is sweet and they would be crazy not to stock it.

You have to remeber that just becasue you want Eagle, Nike, Innovative, or Montreal it does not mean everyone wants it. The owner has to stock what sells. I can sell 10 Easton's before anyone even takes a second look at an Innovative, So I choose not to stock Innovative

As far as T-Blade thing, $40.00 per is crazy. That is a service that you provide for a customer. I can't stand t-blades, i think they are a joke. But i have installed them for people and it is the same price as putting on a Tuuk or a Prolite, $15.00. Hell, they are even easier becasue usually you don't have to re-drill the holes.

My store in Detroit charges $25 for baking and $10 for first-time sharpening if the skates aren't bought from us. (Normally it's $10 for baking and sharpening is free.) As some of you said, it's done to encourage customers to buy from us. It's not meant to punish the guy who found a great closeout deal on something we haven't stocked in 2 years, it's more meant to go after the people who order the same new stuff we carry from the net because it's $10-20 cheaper. Of course, that's not taking into account the shipping charge, the few days' wait, and not having the expertise and assistance of a trained salesman at your side to answer questions and ensure a proper fit. So instead of spending, say, $399 plus tax for a top-of-the line skate, fitted properly (including punching or stretching), sharpening included, and probably baked for free 'cause I'll do that, the customer is now going to spend $380 plus shipping plus $10 for sharpening plus $25 for baking. GOTCHA. Buy locally unless you can't get it locally!

my local shops charge extra for everything you do and charge full retail price, sometimes more, they do throw in the initial baking most of the time.