Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

Need a Pair of Ice Skates

Hi guys,

I'm going to try and start playing ice hockey, I've been playing inline for a really long time, and I have decided I want to play ice too. So I need a good pair of skates so that I can teach myself how to skate. I don't need anything too fancy so top of the line 2004 model stuff isn't necessary, just something that will be good for me to teach myself. Also, I really don't want to spend to much. Thanks a bunch.

Check out my other thread at http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?showtopic=337 if you have any suggestions for making a transtition from inline to ice.

It would be helpful if you told us which roller skates you have liked so far and what you feet's characteristics are.

Depending on whether or not ccm's fit you right, I was in a similar situation to you, and I picked up some Externo e-50's from cupulo sports for $149. I love them so far. Nice and stiff, but still very comfortable.

There's always good deals to be had on the Mission Pure Fly...what with the S500 coming out to replace it.

And it's a great skate too!

My inline skates are 2003 Mission D3s. I would like something a little more comfortable though becuase my feet hurt after extended use with them. Other than that I love the feel and control I get from them. Also I used to get blisters on the out side of my big toes, if that helps in anyway.

My inline skates are 2003 Mission D3s. I would like something a little more comfortable though becuase my feet hurt after extended use with them. Other than that I love the feel and control I get from them. Also I used to get blisters on the out side of my big toes, if that helps in anyway.

where do they hurt exactly?

youre getting blisters because your rubbing somehow, you may want to figure out why.

well the aching usually comes from the archs of my feet.

I havent had blisters from these skates in a long time so I assume it was just that my feet had to get used to them.

well the aching usually comes from the archs of my feet.

I havent had blisters from these skates in a long time so I assume it was just that my feet had to get used to them.

your LHS should be able to stretch the arches and take care of that, ive got a similar problem

Guest phillyfan

Well first, better ice skates compared to worst ice skates will not necessarily teach you how to skate, maybe make it easier at times. Second of all, if you're looking for a top-of-the line skate, highly doubt $150 will be able to cover it, but that may not be your intention. Lastly, if you have never played ice hockey, let alone skate before, don't drop $150 on ice skates. Go to a local Sporting Goods or Dicks, and pick up a pair of $40 Bauers to start. See if you like it, and then go ahead after the more expensive models. I am speaking from experience, had a friend who went out and bought $300 Eastons, skated one time, didn't like it, they probably still are in his closet. Be forewarned.

Yeah when you start off, just try and find somthing comfortable, that fitss and has good support. You won't learn fast jumping into a pair of Mission Pure Flys because they are made for someone who can already skate and knows how to properly snap their ankles at the end of a stride, or also Bauer 7000's which are really, really stiff. Also used skates are good to start in becasue you won't get blisters because they are alreaday broken in, just remember to get them baked.

You definitely don't want to get to low end of a skate...Don't buy some cheap $40 entry level skate. By playing Roller, you know how to play hockey. You know what to expect from a boot. I would recommend getting pair of Amp Fly's or Hi-Fly skates. You can find these on the internet on closeout...Definitely under $149.99...

You may want to wait for the S200's coming out in the next couple of months...Don't buy a Pure-Fly...You are not ready for this type of skate...As stated above, this is for an experienced skater...Pure-Lite would be good, but may take a bit of time for you to get used to...

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, this is a lot of help. I can't wait to get out onto the ice and see how well I can skate. I'll probably buy a pair of missions because so far I like the feel of my inline skates and I haven't ever used a mission product I didn't like. This is going to be a second priority though because the inline season here starts in less than a month and I have to get ready for that. Again thanks for all of the help and keep it coming :)

you guys made a great point that i never realized it until right now, high end skates like pure flys, vectors, vapor xx's are not intended for beginer players. dont know why but i never thought of that before now

Guest phillyfan

Everything is fine and dandy now, right? Nothing to stress over about. My suggestion for a lower end skate as a first skate was more towards the player who's never played ANY hockey before. I guess if you played roller before, and have a general idea of what the differences are, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.