Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1STUD

Crosby....overrated?

There's also a phenom in the O. My buddy Bobby Ryan will just behind Crosby and Brule in next years draft.

On a side note... Have any of you watched Crosby play? 6'4 230 lb ogres try to put him on his ass and they meet a brick wall instead of a 5'10 scronny kid. He is incredibly balanced. I've talked to Wayne Halliwell, Crosby's psychiatrist, and he says Crosby's always training on the balance boards and it's really payed off. His legs are also huge from lifting so much. He's just a horse.

the last few canadian top picks... thornton, lecavalier have proven to be the real deal. M.A. Fleury isnt going to flop, and iI dont think Crosby will either.

I think Crosby will do fine...

Too many people latley have been criticizing him for some of his "Hot Dog" antics, the Mike Legg style goal, a prime example. Crosby is a young player in a very competitive league and purely putting in the most effort he can for his team. After seeing that move replay after replay people came to the conclusion that he is a "showboat" or "hot dog" player but failed to notice his other goal and 4 assists.

Im not trying to pick fights or anything but i just think that people should lay off Crosby until we can all see how he goes in the Pros and what impact he can really have.

If people are willing to wait for him to play in teh NHL before putting him in teh hall of fame I'd be more than happy to not post anything. In fact, I'd love to let the kid play out the season without a ton of publicity, it would be the best thing for him as a player.

People put him in the hall of fame because of the publicity, and a ton of people find that Crosby is a good and they never watch him play a second. They just saw his famous goal. That's why he's overatted.

On Ovechkin, Dynamo may own his European pro rights in a RFA type situation. But, he will be free to leave for the the NHL without a transfer fee when his contract with Dynamo expires.

Exhibit A: Tuomo Ruutu not signing a new deal in Finland last year while he was negotiating a deal with the Blackhawks so that they wouldn't have to pay the transfer fee.

On Crosby, I expect him to be a HOF calibre NHL player. I think the "Next Great One" level of hype and any talk of breaking Gretzky's major records is overhyping the kid. But, I expect him to be an impact player that has a very successful NHL career that eventually lands him in the HOF.

You don't put up the type of numbers he did in today's QMJHL without being the real deal.

He outproduced players like Pat Lafontaine who played in an era that was a lot more wide open. And Pat's lack of ideal size didn't keep him from becoming a very productive pro.

I have yet to see him play an entire game and am basing my take on the numbers he's put up throughout his career and what I've read about him from numerous pro and independent scouts like Red Line Report and the International Scouting Service.

I don't know who said it, but at this point there is very little chance that he will perform the miracles that everyone has him doing.  Its too late.  There is too much hype and there will be a lot of pressure.  No matter how good he is, I am sure there will be disapointed people.

It makes me think of the hype that probably surrounded Lindros, and this maybe more.  An "oldtimer" would know that answer.  I think Lindros played great in his prime and was probably one of the most dominating forces ever in the game in his prime.  But most of everyone seems to think that he didn't live up to expectations.

Excellent example Theo. It may shock some people to realize Eric's numbers are similar to, but better than Cam Neely.

Apparently that Crosby is real cool in person, one of my good friends plays footbal in Rimouski and he went out a couple of times with him Roussin and Pouliot. Apparently they are ordinary people, Roussin even called him from the prospect camp and told him how things were going.

You honestly never know until he gets to the NHL.

He gets a lot of hype because everyone can't wait till the next great hockey player to take over the league. It doesn't hurt that he's Canadian.

yea i totally agree wit theo

since he dominated in the Quebec league doesnt mean that hes gonna dominate in the NHL

we'll just have to wait and c

I think people are forgetting that Gretzky had a "do not touch" sign attached to him somewhere (maybe the old Jofa bucket?). Unless your next rookie or prospect doesn't get hit, it's difficult to expect the next One anytime soon.

I wasn't knocking Gretzky at all, sorry if I gave that impression. You've just pointed out exactly why he is the Great One, he was an exceptional player in a very unique situation. It's this special case that make me doubt the coming of the next One anytime soon.

The one thing that strikes me about Gretz more than any of the other "next ones", from Mario to Crosby, is that on a 1 on 2 or 3 Wayne would always find a way to buy time for a late man. Most of the others always try to find a way to split the defensemen and score. While the otherss may show more individual skill, Wayne always had great hockey sense and it seemed to be more of a team oriented approach.

I think Crosby will have that "no-touch" presence around him. That is if he is able to produce early.

Theo- I don't know what you count as the "earyl days", but I remember a Leafs D hammering him, and I believe he never played in the league again. He was still on the Oilers back then.

I don't that Crosby could ever be a Gretzky because they are differen't players like Chadd said, Gretzky was smarter than everyone else on the ice put together, where as Crosby is more talented. Gretzky was fast enough to never get caught, but I don't think he was overly skilled in anything other than Hockey sense. I think Crosby will be a great player, but I doubt we will see another Gretzky got a while, because there was never anyone like him before either.