Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1STUD

Crosby....overrated?

I was wondering does anybody else think Crosby might be overrated. I understand that he is good and defiently has a future playing pro. Im just saying that i dont think he is worth all the hype he gets. I have seen a few videos of him and he pulls some cool moves, but nothing i havent seen from playing roller. I have seen players just as good as him in roller. I see players that pull moves like he does every couple games. The only reason i think this kid gets so much hype is because icehockey is not as acustom (sp) to seeing those kind of moves as roller is.

BTW im not looking to start any fights here, im just interested in other peoples opinions.

Depends on what the hype is. Next Great one? Probably not. At least a good NHLer who is the best on his team? I think he will be and I hope he will be. He was the leading scorer and MVP of the Quebec league at 16 years old. He played against a few friends of mine at the Air Cananada Cup and Dominated, while he was (I believe) 3 or 4 years younger than the majority of players. It's not his moves, its his ability to consistantly produce great numbers whether he is using fancy moves and dekes or basic drive plays.

we see that stuff in roller because its 4on4... and roller players get crazy amount of room compared to the room that they get in ice... with roller if you get by 1 player, you pretty much have 4-5 seconds to recover, before the next player is checking you or the old player is back to a defensive position. the fact that he can pull some of those moves, playing 5on5 with less room, with more rules like offside, is pretty good. i still don't think he is "the great one" but he'll still be a pretty damm'd good player... not as good as kovalchuk or anything ;)

As well roller is non-contact and geared for offensive play. It may just be my area, but theres generally only 1-2 true defensemen on a team, where hockey will have at least 6.

He's overrated but that's not to say he isn't or won't be good. It's just that no one can live up the hype that's been generated for him.

He's overrated but that's not to say he isn't or won't be good. It's just that no one can live up the hype that's been generated for him.

Look how he's treated in the Q. Some experience Defenceman in the NHL is just gonna get right mad and run right over him. He's gonna get the extra abuse, the extra attention, and look he's not gonna play in the WHA so he's going to end up on some low league NHL team where he'll have no one to play with. Gretzky played with Hall of famers had people to give him the puck and people to give the puck too. Crosby will have one helluva time if he can back up all the hype that surrounds him, but I give him the best of luck as he's a good guy.

that is true QandA, but look at lemieux when he first came into the league...he went the worst team out there full of nobodys, and produced like crazy while taking all the abuse too. gretzky had players to help support him, back him up, and protect him while lemiuex didnt. i know crosby isnt near the size of lemiuex, but thats not to say he cant do it

I don't think many people were expecting Gretzky or Mario, back in their rookie years, to be who they are today. They didn't have the hype (or the 24/7 sports media) that Crosby now has to endure.

Don't forget he is only 17, he will have plenty of time to grow taller and bigger, and yes he is overated he won't be anothr Gretz but he is extremely good and he has awesome skills, saw him play this winter and he will dominate the Q next year again then probably be in the big league.

The question is: Will he continue to grow and improve or has he reached physical maturity, and his max talent level, before other players. There are a number of otehr players who had a lot of hype Daigle, Lindros, Spezza, etc... None have lived up to Mario or Wayne. With the way the NHL is coached, I don't think anyone will ever score 200 points in a season without massive rule changes.

He will probably end up being a very good player but there's no way he can live up to the hype.

well Spezza's not that bad though...

Now I'm not a hockey analyst, but I'm thinking that Crosby can't live up to the hype he's getting, although he's doing a good job of it now, that's for sure.

He's just next in the long line of overhyped Canadian kids dubed the 'next great one'...is it a bad thing, no not really, It's just that people are always looking for the next big thing and right now he's that. In another year or so it will be some other 15-16 year old..

Spezza's a great player in my opinion.

And Yes, i do think that Crosby is overrated, great player, he'll be solid in the NHL I think, but not as much as everyone has foreseen him to be.

Like any prospect, Crosby will have to learn to adapt to the faster and harder NHL game. He will be playing against men and not boys. No one knows for sure how he will respond to the pressure. It would be too bad if his development was rushed or directed in the wrong way because of the hype that surrounds him. I think teams will have to be aware of that as well and not expect too much from him too soon.

Don't forget he is only 17, he will have plenty of time to grow taller and bigger, and yes he is overated he won't be anothr Gretz but he is extremely good and he has awesome skills, saw him play this winter and he will dominate the Q next year again then probably be in the big league.

I don't think he's gonna grow taller... and yes I think he's overated

I saw him play and on tv all season last year and I saw him on tv the other day and he got taller, and bigger, believe me he is still growing.

dont forget he's pulling those moves against competition just below nhl level. a little different than your little roller hockey league.

Depends, overall the AHL is better, but there are more dominant players in the CHL than the AHL, rarely players are put in the AHL to become stars, where the CHL has many players who are put there to learn or continue to dominate. There's a huge seperation from top and bottom players in the CHL, not so much in the AHL.

The AHL is more solid top to bottom than the CHL. The best players in major junior are a lot better than the worst players. That's the biggest difference.

You can't really compare the CHL and AHL seeing as one contains boys at 16 with men at 21 where the AHL is any age. The CHL is still the major supplier of talent to the NHL though.

I'm going to say Crosby is highly overrated. Sure he cleaned up at the rewards, sure he was the Q's top scorer but he'll be playing against some twice his age and some twice as strong which in my opinion he won't be able to withstand, add in all the media and he'll be screwed.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the physical difference he iwill face in the NHL is nearly as severe as a 16 year old superstar playing against 21 year olds. Generally once he gets a few more years under his belt he should be mature and physically developed enough to compete with men upto 40, maybe not at the same level, but the difference won't be as severe as it is right now. The speed and overall defensive strategies are what I will consider challenges he needs to overcome. If his stock maintains the level it is at I doubt the NHL will let anything happen to him, especially if he gets a good rookie year under his belt.