Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

li7039

College Hockey

Im a sophmore in high school right now. Im playing on my schools JV hockey team and im one of the better players on my team. I play defense and im 6'0 176 pounds. I’ve been recently been thinking about playing college hockey. Next season im playing varsity and im a decent student. Im from Long Island and a few schools around me have good roller hockey programs. I would love to go to Michigan or Purdue. What would i have to do in order to make it on a higher level. I play during the summer 2-3 times a week and i try to train as much as i can. What suggestions do you people think would work if i want the coach from a college that is not in my area to notice me. Have a letter of recommendation from my coaches through high school. Scouts? or would they have a open tryout during the summer. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thank You

I don't think you will see many scouts, but a letter to a coach with a recommendation can not hurt. it at least lets the coach know who you are. And from his reply you can get a better idea of how competitive that school's program is.

Im a sophmore in high school right now. Im playing on my schools JV hockey team and im one of the better players on my team. I play defense and im 6'0 176 pounds. I’ve been recently been thinking about playing college hockey. Next season im playing varsity and im a decent student. Im from Long Island and a few schools around me have good roller hockey programs. I would love to go to Michigan or Purdue. What would i have to do in order to make it on a higher level. I play during the summer 2-3 times a week and i try to train as much as i can. What suggestions do you people think would work if i want the coach from a college that is not in my area to notice me. Have a letter of recommendation from my coaches through high school. Scouts? or would they have a open tryout during the summer. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thank You

Here (Illinois) we have a Div I ACHA team (the Purdue team is Div II ACHA, I believe) and they have tryouts at the beginning of the Fall semester every year. Not sure if that's the same throughout the league, but I'd be willing to bet that it's pretty standard.

Thank You

I play with the majority of the Michigan Roller players, check your PM's.

I would talk with your coach and see what colleges other kids from your school have gone to, typically the coach has a relationship with one of the schools and more of his kids are scholarshipped to that school. Try making the allstar game. College scouts show up at the all star games as it showcases the high level kids all at the same place and they don't have to drive from town to town looking at individual kids.

Don't limit yourself to those two schools, full rides are rare and if some other conference takes interest don't count them out. good schools can be found in the WCHA, CCHA and ECAC.

Best of luck to you.

if you are talking roller, contact the coaches before you go visit the schools to arrange a meeting, you may be told to just bring your gear if they have a practice..

otherwise its typically open tryouts and splitting it up to A/B teams for the season

the NCRHA is the league you want to be a part of if you plan on playing college roller hockey. As far as I know, all teams hold open tryouts each year. Some have coaches, others just team captains, based on tryouts people get split up into an A team that plays against other schools and a B team that will either play in local adult leagues or the NCRHA B-league.

For my team, we have a coach , the coach picked the team after tryouts, and the university actually gives us money for league fee, hotels at tournaments and for our uniforms. Not all universities are this generous, and I doubt that any of them offer scholarships for roller hockey. I don't think any team has scouts.

www.NCRHA.org is the website, the league is broken up into regions then with individual websites for each region (East | Great Plains | Midwest | Rocky Mtn | Southeast | Southwest | West )

My friend used to play on the Binghamton A team. I used to have the website for the league too, but I'm sure someone has it or you may have it. The best thing to do is look at the schools and contact the coach just tell him your interested. Some schools do recruiting through a little form on their roller hockey website.

For what it's worth, when we started the UGA roller hockey team we had a few parents contacting us asking us about scholarships and scouts and such. We explained that we don't have scouts because we don't have scholarships or much to offer to persuade a guy to come play for us. As I understand it some of this has changed lately and some schools like Lindenwood, Michigan, etc. now have a few scholarships.

As some other guys have already said, we just held tryouts, then had a travel team and a practice squad (we didn't have enough for a B team).

Lindenwood is still the only school offering scholarships for roller hockey. Everywhere else its open tryouts and is usually listed as a club sport by the university. Here at OSU we had open tryouts at the beginning of the year and then split up into A and B teams. We practice together twice a week and play 5-6 weekends a year. If you are looking at Michigan and Purdue, both are great schools and have good teams, and like someone else said there are lots of good east coast teams like Stony Brook, Neumann, Towson, etc.

If you want more information check out www.ncrha.org and all of the various regions. Most of the team pages have contact information so you can talk to the captain/president or coach and get more information.

Lindenwood is still the only school offering scholarships for roller hockey.

Ahh...thanks for the correction, man.

When I played we would have to run up against UCF constantly. Uggh. Are they still any good?

Thank You

what league do you play in? I play in the Islandwide league.

Don't limit your school choices based on roller hockey programs. Pick a school that will give you a good career then see if they have a good program.