Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdcopp

yet another newb

so I am considering putting on the big pads as a regular thing. Played a couple times as the last resort, anyone will do, here's some loaner rink gear.

I am looking for what people consider to be the best values for pads out there. I've read a number of times it depends on your style. I don't have a style per se, so whatever again is a good all around value (not that I know of any styles beyond Butterfly and the Hasek flop)

I play roller, and would be looking to play net for low to intermediate level leagues, but only want to do pads once so something long lasting and quality built. I also never know if I'll get pulled into a higher level game having to face PIHA pro players in house league, so I don't want to skimp up front and have a really bad night.

So onto my specific questions:

-how much can I expect to spend for a full setup that will be solid gear, though not necessarily top of the line?

-my ankle to knee measures 16", what is the size range to be looking at? (I know each manufacturer is a little different)

-what is a full setup going to entirely consist of

-which brands provide the best bang for the buck?

-for skates are the Tour and Bauer offerings good/acceptable, or should I consider a custom built skate?

I'm not entirely sure I want to invest in pads just yet, but I'd appreciate all the info people can impart on me.

1) Can be done for about $1200.00-$1500.00 if you really watch for deals and don't mind some used...but expect about $2000.00

2) 16" ATK = approx. 32" pads

3) Equipment list with average prices...rec level gear.

mask/helmet ($200)

chest and arm protector ($200)

jock/cup ($50)

pants ($100)

skates ($200)

pads ($500)

gloves ($250)

hockey underwear ($40)

jersey ($30)

bag ($50)

stick ($80)

total = $1,700.00 plus shipping taxes etc. you can slice and dice from there...but it gives you an idea.

4) ~ my preference for masks - Olie MA2000, pro level protection, can be found for around $200 in plain black or white.

~ D&R makes an economical chest and arm ($150) and pants (<$100)

~ Mission makes some decent offshore pads and gloves but check the clearance section of goaliemonkey and hockey giant for some primo closeout deals and there is always eBay. Most 12" width pads and pre NHL sized gloves are being sold at great prices right now as everyone gears up for the new specs.

Best deal on new pro level pads I found with a quick search Bauer Supremes with +1 sizing $499 reg $1299 at Goalie Monkey

5) even the low end Bauer skates are decent quality, and will be great for rec duty.

Hope this helps...good luck with your quest. :)

Shop ebay first. There are lots of great deals out there on used gear. Don't go overboard on pads and gloves until you know what you like. Lots of goalies go through multiple brands and models of gear before they find what they like. If you can find some used Missions that fit, I'd go that route for the right price. They seem to be a fairly popular pad and worn by lots of roller goalies. Shouldn't be too difficult to find some used ones for sale.

As far as size, it varies slightly from one mfg. co. to another. For your reference, I wear a 34 in Vaughn's Velocity line and have a 17" ATK. I'd go with a 33" pad as a reference point. Don't worry about "plus sizing" just yet... that's added thighrise length ( 33+1, 34+1, etc. ) The most important thing is that your knee lands where it's supposed to, in the middle of the landing gear ( inside flaps on the pads ).

Some things you will WANT to buy new... jock, mask, etc. As far as pads, gloves, c/a, and even skates... I'd try to find good deals on used gear first.

It is a pretty high price to getting started, but if you are patient and have some time you can find deals that are tons less than price mentioned. eBay is definitely a good place to start out at in the search, and also check out the goalie forums. There are lots of good deals on gear there. By going this route, you can probably cut it to $750-900...or if you get lucky on eBay, and granted that everything fits, you can find a decent gear package for maybe $500-600.

Ok so I finally have started putting together gear some 2+ yrs later and want some commentary on choices for gear I am eyeing to complete my setup

mask/helmet - looking at a Vaughn VM7400 at $140ish as an affordable starter helmet

chest and arm protector - picked up a Vaughn 7000

jock/cup - looking at Bauer's GJock

pants - kind of up in the air, thinking Vapor X:40 or something in the same price ballpark of $130ish

skates - Bauer One55s are being blown out decently cheap everywhere

pads - picked up some TPS Ice Caps

gloves - also Vaughn 7000 gear

hockey underwear - n/a, plenty of light base layer stuff from backpacking and hiking

jersey - whatever I can find locally

bag - any solid, cheap bag options?

stick - looking at Sher-Wood, Warrior low end, etc. any one superstar of the inexpensive lot?

so far I'm down $35 and some old gear I wasn't using, so I think I'm doing okay for a first set

Stay the hell away from that mask. The VM7400 is an injection-moulded plastic shell, and a pretty crappy one at that. I wouldn't use it against ten year olds shooting tennis balls. For $150, you could pick up a pretty decent used mask on eBay. (There was a Promasque (probably the Classique model) floating around for $139 getting no bids for a while.)

For $300, you could grab one of the quality entry level masks out there. My preference is the Hackva 2608, based simply on material quality, but the low-end Sportmasks shells (Ricochet, Razor, the new X8) and Eddy masks (GT, GT2, GT Ultimate) are in the same ballpark in terms of price and protection. Pick the best fit among those and you'll be well protected. Ask yourself seriously if a concussion is worth the $160 difference.

Pretty well any cheap wood goalie stick will do, but in my experience, the TPS ones are unusually tough; they're also really hard to find these days.

Bag's a bag -- but if you want a wheel-bag, make sure that it has three wheels, not two, a good handle, and as stiff a bottom as possible. A wheel-bag that sags due to lack or structure, or that sags between two wheels (hence the need for a third in the middle) turns into a drag-bag in no time. I am also not a huge fan of those luggage-style retractable handles, as they tend to break over time. A sewn-on and riveted webbing handle is plenty strong enough - ideally on both ends of the bag for hefting in and out of confined spaces.

For $35 and a few trades, it looks like you're in good shape.

Stay the hell away from that mask. The VM7400 is an injection-moulded plastic shell, and a pretty crappy one at that. I wouldn't use it against ten year olds shooting tennis balls. For $150, you could pick up a pretty decent used mask on eBay. (There was a Promasque (probably the Classique model) floating around for $139 getting no bids for a while.)

For $300, you could grab one of the quality entry level masks out there. My preference is the Hackva 2608, based simply on material quality, but the low-end Sportmasks shells (Ricochet, Razor, the new X8) and Eddy masks (GT, GT2, GT Ultimate)

I've been happy with my Eddie GT. Taken quite a few off the mask to no ill effect. Cost me $50 on Craiglist.