Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camhockey16

What goalie helmet is most common in the NHL?

I was just wondering what the majority of goalies in the nhl use. I figured most of them with the exception of hasek/osgood use one of these two masks:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/gmprofilepro961.html

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-m...pro9601ncc.html

Although since most goalies get their masks painted you cant really tell what model it is. And i think i remember the majority of them use the non-certified cat eye cage even though it isn't as safe.

Does anyone know?

Why does it matter?

I think that the Itech 961 is still the most common model in use but it won't be the same as what you can buy off of the shelf although that is changing, some will debate whether that is a good thing tho.

::m

Why does it matter?

I think that the Itech 961 is still the most common model in use but it won't be the same as what you can buy off of the shelf although that is changing, some will debate whether that is a good thing tho.

obviously it doesn't REALLY matter

i just wondered if i had to pay $500 or more for real nhl protection - or if some of the cheaper masks were enough to get by

i figured if 50% or so of the nhl goalies were wearing one particular model then it must be decent enough protection

Enough to get by in at what level of play? There are plenty of masks that provide more than adequate protection for less than $500.00 but there are more than a few variables to consider. Level of play is not the least of those but the most important is how the mask fits you and not all masks will fit the same.

I would personally recommend an NXI mask if your looking for a great mask with lots of protection for under $500. I think that they run around $300 and they truely are superior quality. I wear one right now and I have used it for 4 years. I feel that there is no other mask comparable that I would wear, especially for the price.

I would personally recommend an NXI mask if your looking for a great mask with lots of protection for under $500. I think that they run around $300 and they truely are superior quality. I wear one right now and I have used it for 4 years. I feel that there is no other mask comparable that I would wear, especially for the price.

I believe Badger went out of business, so you can only find them used or on ebay or something. But I hear they are good masks, too bad Badger couldn't keep up and had to constantly lie.

Also Protech sports are coming up there with the Itechs with what most goalies use. Also many I believe use a warwick, well at least 5.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.. there are a lot more.. a lot of older brands such as armadilla, and a LOT of Custom shops. Such as the quantum hockey I recently discovered, and covered in the other thread.

Badger is no longer in charge of building NXi masks but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to purchase a new one, at some point anyhow. There is a new company that will be doing the production, I'm just not sure when masks will be rolling out.

I'm thinking about getting an NXI Cateye cage from them, are they reputable? Also what's the background on the Miklin eq they are selling?

Milkin is a Russian goalie equipment manufacturer, they have some good products. I believe they are pro quality but I have never used or seen them in person, so I can't tell you, this is all second hand knowledge.

Armadilla's are very rare but are built like tanks, and they are not produced anymore here are some more:

Cubberly

Pro's Choice

Wallactive(made in Europe somewhere)

Fusion Masks

Pro Mask

Reidic

Stacy

Staytrix

WJD

Masked Marvels

JP masks

And Chakal has his new line of masks made by Stacy composites I believe.

Dillon

Our Bantam goalie recently got a new bucket, i think it was OGD or something like that... And I've seen one or two other visiting HS Goalies use one as well. Seem to be pretty decent. Pretty similar to Hackva from afar.

I believe Badger went out of business, so you can only find them used or on ebay or something. But I hear they are good masks, too bad Badger couldn't keep up and had to constantly lie.

Also Protech sports are coming up there with the Itechs with what most goalies use. Also many I believe use a warwick, well at least 5.

badger was disolved because one of the partners was stealing from the company. the person who started badger is the same person who started NXI. i have skated with him many times. he really knows his stuff

Badger is no longer in charge of building NXi masks but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to purchase a new one, at some point anyhow. There is a new company that will be doing the production, I'm just not sure when masks will be rolling out.

see above post.

where you at netminder32?

i'm sure you will know

I really don't have any numbers/stats for this but I would have to agree that the Itech 961 series is probably the most common.

badger was disolved because one of the partners was stealing from the company. the person who started badger is the same person who started NXI. i have skated with him many times. he really knows his stuff

When I said Badger I actually meant NXI, Steve badger was the owner of NXI, screwed some people and left the business.

When I said Badger I actually meant NXI, Steve badger was the owner of NXI, screwed some people and left the business.

thanks for the update

Itech is one of those companies that you have to buy high-end to get the protection and they won't be cheap. Itech pays a lot of goalies to wear their gear and that money has to come from some place, ie the costumer.

Anything below 4600 is asking to be a vegetable even in lower level play. That isn't saying that itech doesn't make great masks, but you'll have to pay big bucks for them.

Most guys could get by with a NXI phantom or nemisis and save some dough. Eddy also makes some cost effective masks. Don't forget about warwick and sportmask.

Personally, I never had a problem with my Phantom. It was a great mask, actually it still is but it's on someone else's head. *Sold locally to popasmurf on GSBB* When I had it I took a couple pucks to the head that really didnt bother me but the most surprising thing was the two hander I took across the head. Chipped the paint up as he axed down across my forehead, I flintched and then chased him down and let him know how much I appreciated it. No pain, slight ringing. With how hard he hit me, I was surprised that it didn't hurt me.

Anyone have an envy? any thoughts on it?

I've heard...and I have no official confirmation on this...that Itech is having a problem with the Envy masks cracking. Unfortunately I don't have any more specifics but if anyone else has heard this rumour feel free to jump in...

Anyone have an envy? any thoughts on it?

I've heard...and I have no official confirmation on this...that Itech is having a problem with the Envy masks cracking. Unfortunately I don't have any more specifics but if anyone else has heard this rumour feel free to jump in...

I heard that they fixed this problem